News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why AMA road racing will never be big time...

Started by Super Dave, March 17, 2005, 06:00:19 AM

Lowe119

QuoteHere we go, we should probably start a new thread for this one.

If we want to settle this Friday I say take the combined total from GTU and the GTO, or select three races from the overall weekend.

Every racer chip in $5.00 and receive a sticker, (Stumpy are you listening) Something simple "Bears Fan or Packers Fan"

Run the sticker on your bike, or on the back of your helmet to make it more competitive

Use the CCS scoring for the points total, this way every racer will have some points.

End of the weekend, or Saturday tally the points and present the award to the winners. Any old trophies out there?

Present the proceeds to the Wegman Fund.

We'll need a couple of volunteers to hand out stickers, take money and keep track of the results.

Suggestions?

Which team am I on? I don't like that Packers or the Bears............

Super Dave

QuoteI have glanced over this thread and my reply would be that if if you put evryone on stock bikes the factory riders would still dominate. Unfortunately as in any other sport only a few talented individuals will ever make it to the top.

I totally agree there, Jim.

There are some that seem to think if they had some other bike, that they would do so much better.  

Even then, new skills need to be built at each level of competition.

Motorsports, in general, is a big thing, marketing wise.   There are certainly opportunities out there.  

What makes something attractive?  Would sponsorship attract spectators?  Would spectators attact sponsors?

So, what can be done to attract people to see these events?

A good point was made.  

Some people are attracted to local things.  Yeah, you've got some people in Wisconsin that like the Packers.  Not everyone, but some.

So, a rider in a particular area has a certain amount of people that would like to see their "local" hero.  Now the trick can be that the structure for rules can leave an amount of impropiety that leaves the ability of most riders to not to be able to attain any fair amount of parts.

I've always struggled with the opportunity that factory teams have to have the new bike when it's not available to others.  

If I ran the show, hey, if the bike isn't available to everyone,  the bike shouldn't be raced.  We do have production based rules.

Whether everyone makes it to the "top" is a goal for riders.  For teams and the organization, they should strive to offer an opportunity for entertainment.  For someteams, their job will be pulling the big sponsorships offering the best riders the most money for their talents.  For some teams, that will be for offering up and coming and other veteran riders that aren't the fastest an avenue to be a "part of the show".  

We've already visited the idea that the riders that currently ride for the factory teams are going to be the top riders.  So, why it is necessary for those teams to have an even more distinct advantage?  We do recognize that the rider is an extremely[/b] huge reason why they go fast.

As it is, it sucks to have lapped traffic.  

Would it be more attractive to a few more people if there was a little more competition to be seen?  I say yes.  Would Mladin still win?  Probably.

Super Dave

Protein Filled

OK, so how about this: We penalize/handicap the fast riders to make the races a bit more even! How does 5 pounds of extra weight for every point you scored at the last round sound? You would have to carry it on your back though! This way, for the Barber round, Tommy Hayden would carry an extra 190 pounds, Hacking would have to carry 160 and DiSalvo would carry 145 lbs!

Of course, the amount of weight could be changed, according to how the AMA feels, if a rider keeps on winning!

This way everyone could get an AMA win!!!
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

K3 Chris Onwiler

Let's get that rule implimented in Lightweight Superbike.  I can just see Ed Key with three anvils strapped to his back, dragging a 200 lbs log chained to his swingarm!
(Knowing Ed, the log would be made from carbon fiber and anvils would be hollowed out titanium....)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Gixxerblade

QuoteLet's get that rule implimented in Lightweight Superbike.  I can just see Ed Key with three anvils strapped to his back, dragging a 200 lbs log chained to his swingarm!
(Knowing Ed, the log would be made from carbon fiber and anvils would be hollowed out titanium....)

And he would still pass this slow ass novice by the 4th lap!!! ;D

spyderchick

QuoteLet's get that rule implimented in Lightweight Superbike.  I can just see Ed Key with three anvils strapped to his back, dragging a 200 lbs log chained to his swingarm!

They would also be engineered for maximun drag coefficient.

Besides, I've personally figured out Ed's "Key" to success. You see, Ed will make every part on his bike light, then optimize everything else available allowed by the rules. One thing Ed will not do is get rid of that back hair. He's Golith, you see. Shave the back and Ed gets instantly slow. Might even take an entire season to grow back.  :o ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(Told y'all Ed has secrets...)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

Regardless of how much time and money that Mr Key puts into weight savings, he knows how to set up a motorcycle.  

Most of those that race around him regionally focus on the weight and power aspect when his strength is in his ability and knowledge of set up and a deep desire to do well.  

Back to the original issue...

NASCAR Nextel Cup racing was on regular TV again.  There was a name on the leader position that I didn't know...not that I'm an expert in NASCAR.  But it least made it different.

Anyway, there should be a reasaonble playing field.  

Bikes for a small number of teams before any production units are available should not be allowed.

Testing opportunities should be limited.  Practice at Sears Point is going on now for some riders (teams don't exist?)

Parts should be limited to available pieces.  The ridiculousness of "top" teams claiming each others unique parts is terrible.

Super Dave

EX#996

QuoteRegardless of how much time and money that Mr Key puts into weight savings, he knows how to set up a motorcycle.  

Most of those that race around him regionally focus on the weight and power aspect when his strength is in his ability and knowledge of set up and a deep desire to do well.  

That is ooohhh so true, but we like to give him ________ about being such a light weight.  ;D  Shave that body hair and I bet that he could drop another pound.    :o

You must admit though, same bike and ability, Ed would still have an advantage because of his size over someone like Paul, Chris, or Don Cook.

Dawn   ;)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Super Dave

If that's the case...no one should race against him.

But on any Sunday, there are variables.

There are small guys in superbike, and they get beat by Mat Mladin.  He's taller than me.  So, is Yates.

Ed's biggest advantages are in his hands and in his head.  You're just reinforcing the fact that everyone is lookng at the machine as the only reason for his winning.

Super Dave

Dawn

QuoteEd's biggest advantages are in his hands and in his head.  You're just reinforcing the fact that everyone is lookng at the machine as the only reason for his winning.

Gosh Dave....

Take a deep breath.....

We're not saying that it is the ONLY reason he wins.  I'm just saying that his size is an advantage.

Sheesh!

Dawn

05R6

All I have to say about NASCAR is that it it so RIGGED, did anyone see the finish to yesterday's race....RIGGED......

the_weggie_man

I didn't see the NAPSCAR race but let me guess.....someone was running away with the race and NAPSCAR threw a caution flag about four laps to go for a hot dog wrapper on the track. That bunched everyone up and someone else drafted past at the line for the win.