News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why AMA road racing will never be big time...

Started by Super Dave, March 17, 2005, 06:00:19 AM

r6_philly

Quote...clip taken from the AMA Pro Racing website:

"A for-profit subsidiary of the 265,000-member-plus American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), AMA Pro Racing was formed in 1995 to respond to the rising popularity and tremendous growth of motorcycle racing in America. The formation of a separate company with a separate Board of Directors and management staff allowed the AMA to continue its focus on government relations, pursuing, protecting and promoting the interests of motorcycle enthusiasts, membership growth and other issues. AMA Pro Racing concentrates exclusively on the business and complexities of professional motorcycle racing."

I am completely unconvinced that this organization is chartered with profit, financial success, and growth.  This is not a business, as is Nascar, it's a "subsidiary of the AMA".  This simply means they are to chartered with not creating a negative cash flow on the parent organization, and to be at a minimum; self sustaining.

As I said earlier, I don't think the AMA Pro Racing organization is run a business.

I totally agree, but at times convinient, AMA Pro Racing is held seperate from the AMA. Thats why we have no say in who sits on the Pro Racing board and its officers are appointed and not elected.

It is funny how AMA racers' rights were constantly violated (as reported multiple times by several racing media) by a subsidiary of a org. whose goal is to promote and preserve motorcyclists' rights.

r6_philly

QuoteProbably about as successful as AMA racing.  ;)

Good points, Russ.  From what I've seen it looks to be run like a poorly managed charity or worse yet, a town council.

Your comments about the lack of mainstream marketing are right on.  Most of John Q. Public isn't at all familiar with the sport.  Tell someone you enjoy racing and they assume you ride a dirt bike.

The real eye opener in your post though is the importance of the public appearances along with the advertising for your company's services that cemented your decision to sign on.  We're often so focused on how we finish in the race that many are too timid to approach a sponsor, thinking we're not fast enough.

Good stuff to think about.

but unlike a town concil the Pro Racing staff are not elected and have no raport to the AMA members.

I have always know pro racing is about marketing, but unfortunately 99% of all racers don't  :(

251am

The enforcement of said rules is so random, it is more based on politics than equity. That said, I do not see how this makes AMA less attractive than NASCAR? NASCAR has the same problem with random enforcement, but they're even more political about it as there's more $$ involved. I think the solution is in GoldWings. That's right, put each and every one of em on identical showroom GoldWings. :o    

spyderchick

Right on Russ! That's what I was trying to point out about the "Team" concept.

As an "insider" I feel there are problems rampant throughout the entire sport of roadracing. Marketing is one, and this rules issue, along with others, is another.

From a racer stand point the rules issues are very important. Every racer want to feel as if the race is fair. Example: In the F1 opening round this season, Ferrari(F1 elite) protested the Minardi team (F1 bottom feeder) for wanting to run their cars in last year's aerodynamic trim for that race. Everyone said that Ferrari was being mean, because Minardi had no chance of beating Ferrari or many of the other top contenders. F1 ruled in favor of Ferrari, but not because of their clout in the industry. It had to do with the fact that the Minardi team did have the required bodywork on hand, and additionally had tested previously and found it to be safe. This was fair. It benefited the entire race weekend. Even the initial critics thought so.

This is the pinacle of racing, the highest dollar marketing tool ever. You do not damage your tools by bending the rules. Personally I do feel the FIM has bent the rules, but they at least try to make it look fair by going after the big guns on important issues.

As a marketing tool, the AMA  has HUGE potential, but I agree with Russ: there needs to be some business saavy folks responsible for AMA Pro Roadracing. They will ask the questions: what is good for the sport? The Team concept is good for the sport. Even F-USA realizes this. You can market a team. You can use the team to sell product, yours and your sponsors. Teams also have more political pull within the system. Currently, that falls to the manufacturers.

IMHO, I don't think anything is going to change very soon, but if big name players like Jordan eventually have a say, it might. One other thing to consider: my NASCAR friends keep telling me "you want your sport to remain small, look what's happened to NASCAR". There are problems at every level, they just tend to change.

This VIN issue could be a major or minor problem. We'll probably never know the whole story anyhow. All I know it that it doesn't help the perception of fair racing.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

spyderchick

QuoteThe enforcement of said rules is so random, it is more based on politics than equity. That said, I do not see how this makes AMA less attractive than NASCAR? NASCAR has the same problem with random enforcement, but they're even more political about it as there's more $$ involved. I think the solution is in GoldWings. That's right, put each and every one of em on identical showroom GoldWings. :o    

They'd find a way to modify the aerodynamics of the gold wing, and you know that parts would disappear and be replaced with aftermarket. "But it broke, we had to!"

Besides...tech would be a b1tch. :o ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Super Dave

At what point should something be "legal"...

"that they were pre-production frames. Obviously, they weren't able to get regular production bikes as early as they would like to get started working on the bikes. I think even the Corona (Suzuki) team didn't have '05 bikes to work with at Daytona"

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=22268

Would competitiveness be better if those who were racing could actually get machinery?  This is a manufacturer generated problem.  

Russ, I know where you're coming from.  The SF program I know really, really well.  I sat down and told Kevo how to do it several years ago, simple as that.  My schools are kind of multitask oriented.  He has a program, not just a racing team.  That's something a little bigger and better, as you recognize.  

Super Dave

Jeff

In a different vein, anybody who ever asks about sponsors and how to get them needs to go back and read the post Russ made.

It's not about winning races or running a sticker/patch.  It's about bringing revenue back to your sponsor.  Return on investment.  

If it weren't for a 'code of business conduct' contract I have signed prohibiting it, I'd be talking to Russ right now as I believe I can provide him an exposure which would drive profit back to him.

If anybody needs suggestions / help in this arena, talk to me offline.  I'm probably the best sponsored twice-a-year-podium-finish kinda guy you'll ever meet.  Networking & Marketing is what it's all about...  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

spyderchick

QuoteIn a different vein, anybody who ever asks about sponsors and how to get them needs to go back and read the post Russ made.

It's not about winning races or running a sticker/patch.  It's about bringing revenue back to your sponsor.  Return on investment.  

If it weren't for a 'code of business conduct' contract I have signed prohibiting it, I'd be talking to Russ right now as I believe I can provide him an exposure which would drive profit back to him.

If anybody needs suggestions / help in this arena, talk to me offline.  I'm probably the best sponsored twice-a-year-podium-finish kinda guy you'll ever meet.  Networking & Marketing is what it's all about...  

Amen to that Jeff.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

QuoteAt what point should something be "legal"...

If it falls within the rules, it is legal. If it not defined within the rules, get a definition. Anything else should be considered illegal.

Just re-read that, I'd be a b1tch in tech, huh? ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

the_weggie_man

OK, great discussion but you may as well talk to the pit wall.

People. this discussion and a million like it go on every day somewhere, have for more years than you know and will forever.

Let me say this one more time.....motorcycle road racing will never be main stream in this country. NEVER! Get over it.

Motorcycle road racing is like a cult, you may think it's the greatest activity on earth but it will never be NAPSCAR.

Take some time to look at motorcycle demographics. Look at all the different areas of motorcycle activities. Road racing, flat track, hill climb, super motard, motocross, supercross, enduros, trials, tourers, cruisers, drag racing, stunters. Then break that all down into numbers. What you will find is roadracing is not only a very small market in the big picture but it's even a small market in the motorcycle world.

Trust me there are a hell of a lot more motocrossers in this country than roadracers and they have a hard time getting any mainstream notice.

I hate to be the bummer in this discussion but you have to look at this with a realistic eye. You can dream about roadracing becoming a big mainstream sport all you want but it will never happen. Now, on with reality. That's for us people that can't handle drugs. ;D ;D

EX#996

QuoteOK, great discussion but you may as well talk to the pit wall.

Sometime talking to Paul is like talking to the pit wall.....

.... on second thought, sometimes I do have better conversations with the pit wall.

;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Jeff

Hey Gordie, go ahead and tell us not to discuss tires & synthetic vs dino oil while you're at it...   ;D ;D ;D

Let the crowds complain.  It isn't hurting anything.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest