News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Why AMA road racing will never be big time...

Started by Super Dave, March 17, 2005, 06:00:19 AM

Super Dave

QuoteIf it falls within the rules, it is legal. If it not defined within the rules, get a definition. Anything else should be considered illegal.

Just re-read that, I'd be a b1tch in tech, huh? ;D

AMA leagality is a bit different than CCS.  CCS is pretty open ended.  
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteOK, great discussion but you may as well talk to the pit wall.

Oh, Lord, I know the pit wall really well.

Make road racing main stream?  I don't think it's necessary.

There are other "sports" that have some appeal.

Small signage.  

How about bicycle racing?  

I think the origin of my post is being lost.

The exclusivity of rules in their design and application to individuals, and really some teams, is a hindrance as a whole.

In NASCAR, only certain tires are allowed.  Tire warmers are not allowed.  New shock technology is available, but only certain ways of applying that technology is allowed.  

Entertainment, in general, is an art form.  NASCAR has the art done up pretty well.

AMA Pro Racing...well, yeah, it is "separate"...might really have something to do with the AMA/CCC/Edmonson split for ownership or something...talk to the lawyers.

Don, I think you refered to it all as a charity...yeah, that's probably pretty good.

Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Discussion is great but it's not doing any good here. You need to express these thoughts and ideas where it counts. If you're an AMA member then get on the phone, emil, or sit down and write them a letter and tell them. but then your'e not Honda or one of the other manufacturers so good luck getting them to listen.

Yeah this thread has kind of split into two seperate issues. One: rules, the other: road racing popularity in this country. Actually three if you look at the AMA issues which sits in the middle of both of the other issues.

Let's just all agree the AMA needs work. ;D

StumpysWife

I agree with Gordy.

It seems the AMA is at an impasse.  It's either going to grow or die as a sport (when I say sport, I mean one with rules and regulations--unscripted) or the way of the WWF--now known as the WWE.  

I do ask, why is there no chance for significant growth of the AMA in the US?  What is the difference in Europe?  Do they ride more motorcycles there than here?  I think they do, but I don't know for a fact.  What is the difference in our cultures?  

There's a market.  It needs to be taken seriously and perhaps, that market's needs aren't being taken care of like they could be.

I don't know what Nascar does better or not because I don't watch nor will I.  Stumpy had on Speed last night and some Nascar show was on.  All I have to say is, anytime you have time to sit and argue with your crew chief over a radio about why the switches are labeled the way they are while "racing" your car around a track, I don't see much use for the "competition".  

Maybe we are starting from the wrong angle to begin with.  The only resemblance to Nascar in road racing is they are both motorsports.  Perhaps we need a better model in which to emulate.  

Thank you for listening, wall.  Your'e a pal.

Heather

WebCrush

QuoteSmall signage.  

How about bicycle racing?  

I could never quite figure out how the USPS saw the ROI on sponsoring a bicycle team in France.

Lowe119

If you want AMA Superbike to be huge in the U.S.,  Ford, Chevy, and Dodge need to make competitive bikes.

I've been to my hometown, guard drills, and family reunions where everyone knows what they are talking about when they say "When is the race on?" (I'm always a smart a$$ and say "The Superbike race?")

But they all seem to pick their favorites based on what make of vehicle they themselves own. What is the percentage of people who own Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Hondas - compared to Ford, GM, and Chrysler?

It is the same reason people in Wisconsin like the Packers and people in Chicago like the Bears. They feel a connection to the teams or riders.

russ1962

.....  and anyone who likes the Packers is a monkey.

Russ W. Intravartolo, EX #47
mailto:rintravartolo@yahoo.com

Jeff

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

EX#996

Quote.....  and anyone who likes the Packers is a monkey.

So.....

What are you trying to say Russ?  (as my fingers are strumming the desk)   >:(

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

EX#996

QuotePackers? I've never gotten into baseball..

Arrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!!!
Paul and Dawn Buxton

russ1962

sorry, trying to lighten it up.  

Packer fans aren't really that monkey-like.
Russ W. Intravartolo, EX #47
mailto:rintravartolo@yahoo.com

EX#996

Quotesorry, trying to lighten it up.  

Packer fans aren't really that monkey-like.

You better watch it.......

... or I'll get the wives together and then you'll really be in trouble!  You know how much we like to watch tight ends.

;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton