News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

National/ Pro Riders Stealing the Ex Championsh

Started by r6racer, October 17, 2003, 07:15:10 PM

r6racer

What do you guys think of the National / Pro racers like Team Valvoline, Hooters and Arclight showing up and racing at the ROC and winning the national championships instead of letting the true privateers battle it out for the win?

Many of these guys dont even have a handful of points or a regional championship. But because they get paid to do this day in and out, are bank rolled and some may even have factory support, they grab the victories away from the true club racer / privateer who has fought all year, using his own bank to get that championship. And many times, leaving them to settle for outside the top 3 and some cases out of the top 5. Some of these teams just do the races to test and tune in preparation for the FUSA and AMA races.
http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=7621

Not to mention, some of these guys are the same ones griping about the privateers being backmarkers at the AMA races.

Does this seem unfair to anyone or are they all considered privateers in these ranks unless you have one of the big 4 in your name?

Super Dave

Doesn't rub me the wrong way.

It's competition, and if they can win from the back, then I didn't go fast enough.  I don't think I've heard Rapp complain about back markers, if that's who we're using as a reference.

As an expert, you're on par to race at that level, or at least the competition can be that good.  

At what point do you call a guy not eligeble?  Scott Greenwood is a good guy.  Most people would call him a privateer.  Does have a good effort behind him, but he did win the AMA 600 Supersport race at Loudon a couple of years ago.  I don't think he should be counted out, and I think that he fully expects to work to beat Rapp, et al.
Super Dave

r6racer

Didnt mean to come off negative there Dave so I edited my post.

Super Dave

Nah, I didn't think you came off as negative.  It's kind of a common question.

Everyone seems to be more sensative to it now than what it was like years ago.

I started racing in 1987.  Then, it was very common for guys to try and travel all around the country to make Suzuki money.  Regularly, I would see:  Scott Russell, Jamie James, Doug Polen, and a host of other guys beat each other over the head.  

All I wanted to do was be an expert so I could try and race against them.  Try to measure up.  There isn't a lot of money in motorcycle road racing, so the difference between an expert and a "pro" is pretty negligable.

When someone goes "national" it doesn't necessarily mean that they are any faster.  But they are trying to build something in a different arena.  Might make them faster as they have to race against all the other "big fish".  You learn quick or go home.
Super Dave

GAMEDIC

i owuld have to agree to a point...sure they can come play with us and get seat time but when it comes down to the race and a championship that someone else has worked for all you they need to pull off on the last lap or something. it's not fair to us to have a "pro" come in and take that away. I mean i'm not saying all AMA guys there just should be some point at where they can't do it a t this level

fourandsix

Actually if guys like rapp had any class they would pull in on the last lap , if they in fact are using the track time for practice. Maybe ask John Ulrich /

K3 Chris Onwiler

So you've got a pro ride, things are going pretty good, you're a happy guy.
You do your pro races, stop by the local CCS races on your off weekends to poach a little Suzuki or Yamaha money.  Hey.  It improves the locals to have to try and beat you, right?

I'd KILL for a National Championship.  It's the highest goal in racing that I aspire to.  On my budget and at my level of ability, I shouldn't have to beat pro riders for a club racing championship.  That's just wrong!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super_KC124

QuoteActually if guys like rapp had any class they would pull in on the last lap
I agree! CCS guys have worked hard all year to get to this race. This is for the National Championship! It's their reward for the season. What does it mean for a AMA pro rider to win at the ROC? Not as much as the up and coming expert. >:(

tshort

QuoteActually if guys like rapp had any class they would pull in on the last lap , if they in fact are using the track time for practice. Maybe ask John Ulrich /

You nailed, it 4&6 - it comes down to class.  You can't write rules about it no matter how hard you try.  Class is about knowing what the right thing to do is, and knowing when to do it.  

If you're a pro, and you're at a certain level, you know it. You also know what the right thing to do is.
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

GAMEDIC

Like i said before i would have no problem racing with them...they will only make you faster.. but also like i said before they need to pull off on the white flag lap

AntiqueRoadShow

Come on guys, you can't be serious! How would you explain to everyone back home that yeah I won a National Championship but the guy in front pulled over to let me win.

There is no easy answer for this one, it's something that all "amateur" sports struggle with.

phillip

I was standing at the pit wall when Rapp came in after winning the 600 race on Sat. I then witnessed the tongue lashing he received from the wife/girlfriend of one of the riders he beat. Rapp and his crew showed real class by not responding to the unclassy display of the woman. I get beat all the time by riders that have way more money than I and should be in the expert class but they are following the rules so I take it. There is no way to make it fair for everyone. Even if we all raced the exact same motorcycle someone would have more money to spent on track time, training, etc.
Phillip
EX 56
Cornerspeed.net