News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

National/ Pro Riders Stealing the Ex Championsh

Started by r6racer, October 17, 2003, 07:15:10 PM

SliderPhoto

Mongo

QuoteI owuld have to agree to that...maybe that would be a good place to draw the line.. if you are racing as a full time job and are getting paid to do so..then you should not be able to race club level ...

Cool, so that leaves out Mark Junge, but not Tray Batey or John Jacobi.  That also keeps out Larry Denning and Robert Jensen as well as some other.

Everyone - please go back and make a mental list of all of the places people have said to possibly draw this line, now tell me which one is the best and will make everyone happy.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

GAMEDIC

well you will never make everyone happy.. not in anything  however i think the best was to do it is let them race fine... but like someone else said..if you have factory support like that then you can race but you can't collect any purse ...

Mongo

On the whole contingency thing - a lot of the OEM paid riders are not allowed to earn contingency based on their contract, however riders like Rapp are not contracted to Suzuki, his contract is with Team Hammer.  So he actually doesn't ride for Suzuki at all, he rides whatever bikes his team puts under him.

What about times when Josh Hayes showsat a club race with his pickup truck and his GSXR750 that he preps, should he be told he can't race with us?

As for the Olympics - sorry but the ROC and the GNF are the pinnacle of Amateur Roadracing in the US.  It's where the factory teams look for the next fast guys.  In my analogy I was talking more about the GNF because like the Olympics you do have to qualify to attend and enter the event, and you have to qualify in your specific class as well.  I'm actually sorry that you have such a low opinion of your sport that you think the finals for it are that worthless.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Mongo

Quotewell you will never make everyone happy.. not in anything  however i think the best was to do it is let them race fine... but like someone else said..if you have factory support like that then you can race but you can't collect any purse ...

That's nice.  What about the guys who feels anyone that has an AMA license shouldn't be allowed.  Is his opinion not worth following?

My point is that there is no one single proper way to do this.  Which is because people really only want to beat everyone slower than them - all of these complaints are NOT totally unbiased.  

As long as you go into any sporting event with the attitude that you don't have a chance, you never will.  This isn't college basketball, this is racing - by the way, I feel the way they have divisions based on skill level of a school is BS too.  You either are the fastest or you are not, being the fastest of all the guys that are slower than you doesn't mean anything, you proved nothing, it's a hollow victory at best.  

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

GAMEDIC

Quote.

What about times when Josh Hayes showsat a club race with his pickup truck and his GSXR750 that he preps, should he be told he can't race with us?

It's hard to find out where to draw the line.. but think of it this way.. what if Yates were to show up on his private bike to race at club level...that would not be fair to any expert out there unless it was a rule that he would not be able to take any of the money if that were the case and the experts knew he would not take the money then i bet they would be ok with it i know i would i could use him being there to make me faster but i would be glad that i would not have my money taken away by him

Mongo

Why would it not be fair if Aaron showed up on equal machinery and won?

It's not like he hasn't done it before.  Repeatedly.  On lesser equipment even.

As for everyhting else you're saying - don't you think you might want to have white plates and run against them before you make such a sweeping judegemtn call on who should or should not be allowed to race - even if they are on basically the same equipment?

What's funny about all of this is that the majority of the faster experts are the riders who care the least.  They understand that racing is a contest of skill, and if they don't have what it takes they don't win the race.  They then ususlaly work their butts off to try and get their game to a higher level and go faster the next time.  

I'm curious - How many of you arguing here are Expert riders running in the top 5 week in and week out in a 600/750/1000 class?

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

Mongo

Another question - seriously.  What do you guys feel is the point of racing?  As in why do you suit up, get on your bike, and go race.

Sean P. Clarke
www.wera.com

GAMEDIC

I don;t think it's that they don't care...i think it's that they have been in this for a while and know that no matter how many people say something about it nothign \will be done .... as for me i could really care less i'm not fast enough to worry about anyone taking my money cause i wouldn't win any anyway.. lol. i just like to argue wi you Sean ;D .. but really it is a very valid point that it really unfair that they could do that...but again the question would be..where to draw the line..that is a hard choice to make.. i think they should not let anyone on a Harley come inside the gates with it while Real bikes are on the track.. LOL  ;D

GAMEDIC

QuoteAnother question - seriously.  What do you guys feel is the point of racing?  As in why do you suit up, get on your bike, and go race.
For me it's Fun... i'm too old to try and be fast...lol

r6_philly

QuoteAs for everyhting else you're saying - don't you think you might want to have white plates and run against them before you make such a sweeping judegemtn call on who should or should not be allowed to race - even if they are on basically the same equipment?

What's funny about all of this is that the majority of the faster experts are the riders who care the least.  They understand that racing is a contest of skill, and if they don't have what it takes they don't win the race.  They then ususlaly work their butts off to try and get their game to a higher level and go faster the next time.  

I'm curious - How many of you arguing here are Expert riders running in the top 5 week in and week out in a 600/750/1000 class?

Mongo, I am planning on putting on a white plate and try to run top 5 week in and week out next year. and I welcome the challenge to race against pros.

As for your observation that the fast experts don't care - I am not sure if they don't care, or they have just accepted as a fact of life, a fact of racing.

But remember, just because everyone accepts something, doesn't make it cool. What choice do that have? no one is allowed to move back to Amateur/novice to get away from the pros, so they have to put up or shut up. But that doesn't bar anyone else from having an opinion, and god forbid, a correct opinion?

And why do you have to be fast to be credible and to "deserve" to make statements, observations and opinions. I guess you would have to wait one more year, and I will post on this topic again, when I am a top 5 expert. or I will forever hold my peace.

the_weggie_man

The first words out of Jesse Janisch's mouth after Rapp took his championship away were, " I can beat him!" And I can't wait for the day he whoops his ass. Revenge will be so sweet.

With the organizations hungry for revenue there's no way they are going to turn down entries, especially at places like Daytona. So, they will continue to let anyone race as long as they pay the bills.

Do I like it that a guy with Rapp's experience and backing can show up and steal championships from the regular series runners? No, but there isn't a damn thing we can do about it until someone in charge of the series wakes up and puts a stop to it.

To turn their heads will take a letter campaign of huge proportions. I know I will be sending my thoughts to CCS/Clear Channel soon.

For Steve Rapp .... there's a 16 yr old kid with your name on his mind and some day soon you will be looking at his rear tire pulling away. Hopefully taking away a win you really want. ;D