News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

A Question for the CCS Racer

Started by CCS, September 07, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Are you willing to purchase a personal transponder?

Yes
54 (46.6%)
No
62 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: September 28, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

CCS

Sorry about the confusion, the rental would be per event, not each individual race. My bad.

If we go to the personal transponder system, the initial 30 to 45 days would have a discount on the units, probably in the $30 to $40 range, I haven't got that down exactly yet since we have not committed to changing systems.

Rather than the WERA program that allows you to get 50% of your rental credit (for rentals within the calender year with your receipts) towards the purchase, we'd look more to provide a less expensive rental to everyone that doesn't want to purchase one.

As pointed out earlier, this is not something you use for one season and then throw away. These units are warrantied for 5 years and some have been working for 8-10 years. If you sell it when you're done, the new owner only has to pay a small transfer fee to My Laps.com to take over the advantage of the information available there. Just like using the Westhold system, we look at the change as being a long term solution to one of our problems.
Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

Kurlon

Has AMB gotten better about used transponder sales?  It was my understanding that in the past they treated buyers of used transponders as second class citizens, and wouldn't update racer info at mylaps, etc?

Super Dave

Quote from: Kurlon on September 13, 2010, 07:37:27 PM
Has AMB gotten better about used transponder sales?  It was my understanding that in the past they treated buyers of used transponders as second class citizens, and wouldn't update racer info at mylaps, etc?
That's really an issue to take up when buying a used transmitter from the seller.  A transmitter could be easily stolen, then used.  They are protecting their original customer until what time that individual notifies them that it has been sold. 
Super Dave

roadracer162

Dang, what a pain. I wish the organization would just buy the transponders themselves or lease them from the maker.

Of course this poll is the informal venue where as the recent CCS flyer reports that the formal poll is when you the user/CCS racer responds by email to info@CCSRacing.us

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Kurlon

Quote from: Super Dave on September 13, 2010, 07:48:08 PM
That's really an issue to take up when buying a used transmitter from the seller.  A transmitter could be easily stolen, then used.  They are protecting their original customer until what time that individual notifies them that it has been sold. 

Sounds like they have improved then, in the past even with the seller's cooperation they were not friendly to the 2nd buyer.

Jason748

They have gotten better in the last year or so.  They do charge $40 to have the "owner" swapped over in the mylaps system, but they are much "nicer" about it than in the past...  But I know exactly what you mean.
http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/B2C/bike/shop/used_transponders
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

MACOP1104

Quote from: Kurlon on September 13, 2010, 07:37:27 PM

I bought a used AMB transponder this year and had no problems and no transfer fees.  I simply went to their website and registered the transponder number under my name.  easy!

f3racer

is there a specific model number for this transponder. i am seeing a ton of them on ebay and just want to pick up the right one.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

gpz11

It will probably be the X260 but you might want to wait to see if they actually do get the system.

vnvbandit

Quote from: Jason748 on September 14, 2010, 10:24:05 AM
They have gotten better in the last year or so.  They do charge $40 to have the "owner" swapped over in the mylaps system, but they are much "nicer" about it than in the past...  But I know exactly what you mean.
http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/B2C/bike/shop/used_transponders

WOW and another fee??????????
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

gpz11

Knightslugger

If CCS does go ahead with this new system are there any plans to reduce reg fees for those of us that bring a personal AMB transponder?