News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

A Question for the CCS Racer

Started by CCS, September 07, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Are you willing to purchase a personal transponder?

Yes
54 (46.6%)
No
62 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: September 28, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Gixxerblade

Yeah but Dave you have been racing since Jesus was in his first moto. :)

vnvbandit

As mentioned earlier, I just hope this isn't just so our times can fit a web site. It would be a shame to trash can allot of transponders just for that.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Super Dave

Quote from: Gixxerblade on September 08, 2010, 08:19:25 PM
Yeah but Dave you have been racing since Jesus was in his first moto. :)
Nah, that was Ed Key.  I did see Muhammed in tech though... 
Super Dave

Super Dave

Quote from: vnvbandit on September 08, 2010, 08:29:34 PM
As mentioned earlier, I just hope this isn't just so our times can fit a web site. It would be a shame to trash can allot of transponders just for that.
I don't think the dbCom system that CCS has was considered to be outstanding at the time CCS got them...CCE implemented that?  And that whole system is old.  I don't know the age of most of the transmitters that CCS has, but we've certainly been using them with CCS since 2001 if not just a little longer. 
Super Dave

vnvbandit

Quote from: Super Dave on September 08, 2010, 08:37:07 PM
I don't think the dbCom system that CCS has was considered to be outstanding at the time CCS got them...CCE implemented that?  And that whole system is old.  I don't know the age of most of the transmitters that CCS has, but we've certainly been using them with CCS since 2001 if not just a little longer. 

I didn't know they were that old. Has CCS had problems with them?
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Super Dave

Quote from: vnvbandit on September 08, 2010, 08:57:59 PM
I didn't know they were that old. Has CCS had problems with them?
I think they are what they are.  If you have them in inventory, you use them until you can't.  There are reasons that most other organizations are using the AMB set up. 
Super Dave

HAWK

As I stated earlier and others have alluded to, Race tracks are cancelling events, race tracks are talking of closing, sanctioning bodies are talking of closing the doors, existing series are disappearing. Yes it is a one time cost but Dave, it doesn't have any lasting value if there is nowhere to use it. Now as for your next argument, that I can sell it to someone else who's series didn't fold, how about all the other guys who want to sell one, do we need a lesson on supply and demand? I understand that CCS has been maintaining the current transponders and since this is the second thread this season regarding a possible switch my guess is that the transponders that Kevin holds is starting to show it's age. I would agree that it would be in the series best interest to move to a more current unit but the timing is wrong. If we make it through 2011 intact and the future looks good then let's look at this then but for now we need to make what we have work. As far as switching goes, how much is CCS going to save if they have a rental policy? that means that Kevin will have to buy enough AMBs to cover racers that won't invest in one right now, how much less does anyone think that will cost than keeping the westholds running another year.

Bottom line, when the business is just treading water you don't go out and buy new stuff, you make do with what you have. LEt's talk next year.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

barkley57

Quote from: SVbadguy on September 08, 2010, 03:33:29 PM
Some of you mentioning cost as a factor ought to take a look at your race programs.

Bob, you're racing an RC8.

Mark, you do every event in three regions.

Travis, I didn't pay full retail for my RC8R as I am a dealer so the cost of the bike was cheap to me as I sold my 08 R6 and dumped that money into my KTM.  Actually it is has been pretty cheap to buy for me as well as to maintain.  If you refering to the bike being $20K or more for me to race your way off. 
Bob Michael
B&E Motorsports
410-822-6855
www.bemotorsports.net
KTM RC8R #24

Ducmarc

we are kind of lucky in florida we have 4 tracks counting daytona so going to another sanctioning body is not something that most of us do especially since florida is in a depression .it's another expense that the new guy would have to tack on. we want the trackday guys to come and play . but a race school , license, a real set of tires, entry fees , a legal helmet , leathers that hold knee pucks , tire warmers , a generator for the warmers.  the cost of entry for the crew ( i never have less than four) oh an another piece of electronic nonsense for a mere 420 bucks those trackday guys are going to start laughing at us .  then you get to the track and it craps out or it gets ground up and your fwcked.  plus since only about 5 percent of the racers even know this site is here how you going to convince them  most are so cheap or broke they'reready to quit if they get a flat on the way to the the track.. there's also whole bunch that only want to run a couple times a year(i really only want to race daytona ).  plus at homestead  they will just get stolen     how about ccs selling the  old ones they have to us at a reduced rate or start renting them to us for 5 or 10 bucks a weekend until they gathered up enough to upgrade the whole system    

tstruyk

maybe the $420 charge could be looked at as purchasing "perspective", the transponder is just a bonus...  :biggrin:

if its just about the racing buy a smaller bike that eats one less set of tires (or two rears) less per year...

compete in one less race per year

compete in one less class all year

how many of us drink starbucks?  eat out?  smoke?  any of those expenses cut out on an annual basis would more than cover a transponder.

there are options other than the "doom and gloom economy"... I would be if any of us had a set of tire warmers shoot craps it wouldnt "end your season"... you would find a way to make it work.

not pickin a fight... just sayin lets be honest with ourselves
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Kurlon

Given the progress being made with the el-cheapie in comparison RFID based systems, I don't see a reason to jump to AMB right now if the current gear is working.

roadracer162

But why spend money if it isn't totally necessary? Can we opt out and not use a transponder? I don't really need that knowledge that my crappy little $100 lap timer can't give me. Will it be a must have to race with CCS?

I already race an Ultralight bike. I already stretch my tires to the bare minimum($700 out of pocket for 2009). I do race 2 classes and some times I will ride 4, but that is not often. And I should really race less so I can buy this transponder? If I don't race at all then I could really afford it.

I am with Paul. Let's get this club back onto it's feet as in a positive direction and we can talk next year.

I am curious, how many participants/racers are actually at a race event. I am aware of an informal count of 70 at the local summer event? How is your region doing?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.