A Question for the CCS Racer

Started by CCS, September 07, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Are you willing to purchase a personal transponder?

Yes
54 (46.6%)
No
62 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: September 28, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

apriliaman

Ive been racing CCS for 10 years i guess it is time for some new technolgy.
Does it count split times in 4 sections of the track?        22.64         25.72             14.63            25.84
Does it give you your top speed for each lap?           153mph
If it does then it is good.
I'll get one if i have to
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

HAWK

Quote from: tstruyk on September 08, 2010, 10:08:05 PM
maybe the $420 charge could be looked at as purchasing "perspective", the transponder is just a bonus...  :biggrin:

if its just about the racing buy a smaller bike that eats one less set of tires (or two rears) less per year...

compete in one less race per year

compete in one less class all year

how many of us drink starbucks?  eat out?  smoke?  any of those expenses cut out on an annual basis would more than cover a transponder.

there are options other than the "doom and gloom economy"... I would be if any of us had a set of tire warmers shoot craps it wouldnt "end your season"... you would find a way to make it work.

not pickin a fight... just sayin lets be honest with ourselves

I ride an SV, I  get two weekends on a set of tires (which is my entire 2010 season), I don't drink coffee, I don't eat out, I don't smoke, I don't do movies, clubs or bars. I don't have a trailer, I sleep in my van after the bike is out, I bring the food and water I eat for the whole weekend. I don't have enough money to do the little racing I do now and I'm not sure if I am going to have a place to race next year anyway. I am being brutally honest with myself and honestly, now is not the time.

You say skip a race weekend, I believe that is what caused Kevin to reduce the last 2 BHF rounds to 1 day isn't it? Or what caused HPT to cancel the final round outright? What CCS needs right now is for the racers who are strapped to show up for one MORE weekend, not one LESS. What CCS needs right now is for the trackday guys who think it's too expensive to go racing to come out and give it a shot, hey, let's hit em up for $420 before they even get registered, that'll make it seem less expensive than trackdays.

What CCS needs to do right now is get through 2011, get participation up, then think about upgrading the recording system.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

spyderchick

Take this scenario into consideration: the old set up is old, worn and desperately needs to be replaced.

So the series owner asks your input: Purchase or not? It's a yes no question. If you purchase, you own the unit, if you do not, your entry fees may have to go up. Part of business is covering your overhead, and a timing and scoring is part of overhead, whether you do it digitally or manually. You guys want it done digitally so the timing can be uploaded to the internets, get a printout at the track, etc. If that system is aging and failing, you guys will be the first to bitch loud and long about the fact you didn't get what you paid for when the fecal matter hits the fan.

I don't know what the life expectancy is of a transponder unit, but I'll bet they are at the critical point as the ones CCS has are fairly old.

I'm going to say this once again, because I think people keep skipping this point: CCS and all of the other series are for profit businesses. They are not there to sponsor or support your racing, that is your responsibility as a rider. Their job is to provide you with a venue to compete.

Super Dave has it right. This is an amortized cost, whether you purchase a unit or CCS decides to rent or raise entry fees. One way or another, you will bear the cost. Tires are disposable, but at least this is hard equipment you can use for a long period of time or resell to recoup some of your cost when you no longer need it. The fact that CCS is considering the AMB system that is compatible with others in use says that they have your best interests in mind.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

vnvbandit

Quote from: Kurlon on September 08, 2010, 10:28:44 PM
Given the progress being made with the el-cheapie in comparison RFID based systems, I don't see a reason to jump to AMB right now if the current gear is working.

If we can hold out one more year................Maybe we can have the "latest & greatest" RFID technology!
I wouldn't mind chipping in for the newest stuff. No use in buying "old technology", or we'll be right back to where we are now! Lets not get the 8 track player one year before it dies! Or Atari for that matter.  :banghead:
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

CCS

Yes the Tranx 260 is compatible with all other AMB/My Laps systems in use by AMA Pro, WERA, CRA, CMRA, AHRMA.

We will not go back to manual scoring. (It is nearly impossible to find people who can do manual scoring especially with the small numbers and number plates you all love to use so that suggestion is unrealistic.) One benefit will be that we would no longer have to be so strict on your stylization of the numbers.

The average age of the Westhold transmitters we lease is 8 years old. The software has limitations that the AMB/My Laps does not have. We lease these transmitters from Westhold and when they were implemented your first entry fee was raised by $5 to cover the initial cost of implementation. Subsequent increases were due to higher insurance and track rental costs, not the scoring system.

Rental units will always be a part of the program, average rental fees are $40 to $60 per race depending on who owns the rental units. Owning your transponder gets you access to all your lap times and information, renting does not.

If we change to AMB/My Laps, it will not affect the cost of the event for CCS, just to simplify personnel issues (i.e. trying to find a good manual scorer.)  Purchase of the software and equipment right now will cost CCS the same as the Westhold lease does per event. One factor that brought about this request for input is the knowledge that the cost of the AMB/My Laps system will increase in 2011 but if we make the commitment now, it would save us all money in the long run.

At this time the RFID system is incapable of making line calls and until that flaw is fixed, it is not practical for race application. (Go back to manual scorers needed if you were to use that system.)

Kevin Elliott
Director of Operations-CCS/ASRA
Fort Worth, TX
817-246-1127

twilkinson3

Well that explains a lot - thanks Kevin (no sarcasm intended, that really does provide more of hte picture)

gpz11

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Will CCS have a rent to own plan?

I take it that it is a significant increase in the purchase of the AMB system?

Jason748

I belive AMB will also do a "group buy" every once and a while...
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

red900

$60 a race is quite steep for rental costs..  Is that per race or per weekend?

Dustin Boyd
Cyclepath Racing LLC
Midwest Race Supplier

gpz11

I know with AHRMA, the rental cost covered the whole weekend.

Jason748

CRA charges $50.00 a weekend (Friday Pratice through Sunday), plus a $375 security deposit.
WERA is $60.00 a weekend rental, but if you save up receipts (10 or 14 I think - you get a free rental - Granted it cost you 2X what it would have to buy one new...)
AHRMA Charges $60.00 a weekend for rental - but they perfer you reserve them ahead fo time.

I'd say the $40 - $60 per race weekend (Can't be per race...) rental cost is right in line.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

vnvbandit

Thanks for the info Kevin. Makes sense.  How about setting up a large group buy? We should be able to get a break???
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick