News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

A Question for the CCS Racer

Started by CCS, September 07, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Are you willing to purchase a personal transponder?

Yes
54 (46.6%)
No
62 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: September 28, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

KBOlsen

We'd buy 'em, cuz I think these are the same ones AHRMA uses and we'd get some good 'bang for the buck ($800 EEEK!)... but would strongly suggest rental as an option rather than throwing up one more barrier to entry for potential new racers.

TC could be addressed by having the team captain designate a transponder for TC use at registration.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

roadracer162

We talk about cost of racing and how outrageous it has become, yet we agree to more cost in purchasing a transponder?

The cost of this transponder will be 50% of the total cost of the last racebike I have put together-$700 for a FZR400.

I would venture to say that most of the yes votes already have a transponder and do not need to purchase a new one.

I also wonder-how will this make me or my bike safer? How will this make me faster? How does this improve my bike?

So far my vote is No.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

I don't own a race bike right now that is ready to go, but I still have my own personal AMB transmitter that I used with WERA, CRA, and this year with ARHMA.  They are available used.  Sometimes they are used for other kinds of racing...like bicycling and stuff. 
Super Dave

barkley57

I have to agree with Mark about how we complain that the cost of racing is soooo expensive but yet agree to accept to purchase a transponder that will add to the yearly cost of your racing budget.  
One of the biggest reasons I race with CCS and not WERA is so I do not have to buy that transponder along with other reasons, but I feel the system is working just great as it is now with showing up and receiving and then returning the transponder when racing is over.  That is no more added cost to me.  If you think about it, for people running the MA series that is another $42 per weekend for 10 races thoughout the year which could be used for gas, gate fee, food or whatever.  

Sorry Kevin, but in a slumping economy, I have to say NO as this puts another damper on my racings bottom line!!

BOB MICHAEL
B&E MOTORSPORTS
KTM RC8R
Bob Michael
B&E Motorsports
410-822-6855
www.bemotorsports.net
KTM RC8R #24

apriliaman

How about for the people that want to race just 1 or 2 events a year? That would be alot.For me it is alot as i just make it to the track already as i got slim to none extra $$.But I would have to get one if it was required since i race everywhere.And the $42 extra for 10 events in your first year,that could have been the race gas money and that aint cheep.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

MELK-MAN

IF in any way this came about, I would hope the transponder would be able to be used with WERA not just CCS events. Also, they should be able to be rented for a reasonable price for those racers that don't do many events per year. As some have pointed out, the transponders can be purchased used for a decent price.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

genosr1

i vote no, we don't even know if there will be tracks to race at next year, go back to manual scoring before saddeling us with another expense

HAWK

I have to agree with the Nay-Sayers this time. With things on shaky ground right now investing $420 on a transponder that I might or might not be able to use is not a smart move.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

motovid.com

IMHO, additional cost for the racer at this time would seemingly be yet another barrier to entry against the immediate goal of increasing racer participation for CCS in 2011.

Immediate answer is no.....however, a bit of a longview should be considered....

(assumes there would be rental options for those racers who cannot afford the move, outright purchase....)

...Standardizing the scoring platform in concert with the majority, CRA, AMA, AHRMA, WERA does make sense where there is an overlap in participation and opportunity to increase race grids at a very high level.

Which segues to the next point; Why the change?

Does a standardization of scoring platforms present an opportunity for combined future race weekends in some fashion between various sanctions?

That is, instead of the sanction bodies cutting events back in 2011, why not cooperate with your competition -> ["coopetition"] as in combined rounds [insert desired sanction(s)] where there is a certain % of overlap in rules, classes, etc such as a combined CCS/WERA round.....one sanction could "invite" the other.

Even if the classes/races themselves maintained their respective sanction association, why not hold one sanction body's class races on one day, followed by another sanction body the second day to give the racers a complete weekend?

This could provide an interesting, unique opportunity for the sanction bodies in 2011.

Instead of carving up single day race events in 2011 per weekend to weather the down economy, similar to the last rounds of BFR in 2010, how about two (2) single day races [each sanction maintains its own day] combined to become a complete two day race weekend?

Cooperating sanctions could enjoy greater opportunity for their respective grids by extending invites across the sanction bodies to licensed racers and open the doors to more racers outside of their confines where everyone is struggling to get NEW racers.... how about racers NEW to CCS such as currently licensed CMRA, WERA, CRA, or AMA racers?

Certain blasphemy, I know, I know.... first, scheduling is impossible, next whose insurance is an issue, from here, operations is difficult, secret handshake still secret........Of course, critically the rulebook and classes are quite complicated and technical requirements are very different, by design.....

However, in the face of all of this, it seems many road racers still find each other on the same grid from time to time across "proprietary" sanction lines to compete. How? focus on the commonality, as opposed to the difference to make the race.

Why not make it easier for more racers (not necessarily "new") to participate across sanctioning borders as opposed to harder simply to support a "proprietary grid".

If migrating the CCS scoring system towards AMB, arguably the industry standard, from Westhold (current) brings about opportunity such as this, perhaps more racers could see the benefit and overall value proposition, I would vote yes.

Otherwise, what is the benefit to the additional cost, as others have identified, that also becomes yet another barrier to entry for new racers?

my .02 cents,
michael

f3racer

Quote from: apriliaman on September 07, 2010, 11:45:56 PM
How about for the people that want to race just 1 or 2 events a year? That would be alot.For me it is alot as i just make it to the track already as i got slim to none extra $$.But I would have to get one if it was required since i race everywhere.And the $42 extra for 10 events in your first year,that could have been the race gas money and that aint cheep.

im in the same boat. if i had the extra 420 then the answer would be yes. but i dont.
Will
Former CCS MW Novice #81, WERA Novice #81
AHRMA Heavyweight SBK #81, DD's Racing Endurance Team #773
2020 Tuono Factory, 2000 RC51, 1980 CB750/823

mattg

As KBOlsen said, the LAST thing we need right now is yet another financial barrier for new races.

Considering the poor turnout and potential financial problems, why would CCS be considering a new timing system? 

Pay someone a comparatively small amount to figure out what the hell is so broken with the output from the current scoring system that prevents it from exporting properly to a site like myracingbio or whatever.  Or create a new laptimes site that can handle the data.

vnvbandit

Look at WERA rental fees for a transponder. It ain't cheap!!!!!!! 

Rental - $60 per event. Must have a credit card for deposit.  And that's why I don't try WERA!

50% of your rental fees can be applied towards the purchase price so long as you have copies of your receipts. We will NOT be able to provide these copies for you.

Besides, CCS already has transponders!
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick