News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Unlimited grand prix payouts

Started by quicktoy, April 16, 2008, 05:52:23 PM

d-wire

Also, like you said......its hard to afford this sport more than 3 years........if the purse $ is better in expert, guys can afford to do this sport longer.  Its easy to get to expert....hard to stay there.
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

LilJayRR

I did read it just fine. You think experts should be entitled to purse because they put out more expense. Speaking from a AM point of view here, this AM wont race in a class just to race. If there is no payout in UL GP I wont race that class, when there is a $ purse I do. I also race up in class when I see it as an advantage, ie less people, I can still be competitive, as well as possibility of contengency $'s. If there were no purse $'s would it make that big of a difference for me, nope. I've 'won' a grand total of maybe $150 in sprints, and maybe $500 total in the TC. But there are still plenty of AM's that do I wouldnt want that reward to be taken away just to be given to experts.

I think AM's should get purse money if it is avaialble, and it should not be taken away just to give the experts more payout for thier races. Purses are a reward for doing well in whatever class that might be AM or EX.
If you want more purse $ for expert races figure out away to keep more expert racers involved in the sport and figure out a way to get more sponsers involved in the sport, get more spectators involved in the sport. Don't take what little money there is for AM's just to give the EX more of a reward for spending more $'s. The purse paying (UL GP as example) cost more to enter, why not make all of expert races more to enter then and make them all paying races for experts then.

Make expert races cost $25 more, and you can give that moeny away as a purse. Or race the ASRA series it has payouts in every class I do believe.
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

LilJayRR

Quote from: d-wire on April 17, 2008, 01:01:23 PM
Also, like you said......its hard to afford this sport more than 3 years........if the purse $ is better in expert, guys can afford to do this sport longer.  Its easy to get to expert....hard to stay there.
Or maybe if there were more $'s available to the AM's they might be able to afford it longer than 3 yrs. Two way street there.

I dont know if I would say it is 'easy to get to expert', this is my 3rd year as an AM. I missed the bump to be an expert, I finish usually in the top 10 of every race as am AM, and do 5 or 6 races per weekend and I didnt make it.  This sport is expensive plain and simple. I would prefer a way to get more sponsers, more payouts etc... without taking away from what is already available.

Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic

MELK-MAN

Jason.. im on the phone to Kevin elliot today to request that the Unlimited GP AM and EX payouts be switched to the riders finishing 5th through 10th.. I feel it is unfair to leave out these riders, im using your logic that everyone, AM or EX alike should be treated fairly. Since AM riders can make a few $ as can the EX riders we can not leave out the guys that finish just a little way back.  After all, the $150 or  that is the wining payout for this race will make the weekend profitable now.. sheeze. As for your comment that as an AM rider, you would not race unlimited GP if there was no payout.. well , that just sad. I do agree riders should try to collect whatever they can, I started racing HWSS mid season my Am year as there was much more contingency available than some other classes. You should look over the contingency payouts for all classes to figure where you can get the most tire money, etc. I dont look down on riders that run the AM ULGP to get the whopping $150-200 to win.. i just think it silly that AM riders get any cash payout period.  FYI, the "average" my only be 3 yrs but that stat is skewed by the MANY riders that get out after the 1st year.. (IMO).
Like Dwire said, the ULGP expert event in FL is a showcase.. best talent, on the best bikes they can get on the track.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

LilJayRR

Quote from: d-wire on April 17, 2008, 12:54:37 PM
HAHAHAHAHA.  I totally agree Greg.  Jason, don't get your feelings hurt.  Its not about that.  Have you run one of the FL region events, Im sure you probably have.  As a spectator, I would always go to watch the "shootout" or UNLGP.  You knew as a spectator it was the main event, with the best riders on their best bikes for the $$$$.  Henry likes to showcase that race and it works.  Its awesome. It sells tickets and brings people out. It brings out the newspaper and is great for the sport.  I'll never forget watching Shane Prieto and Marco Martinez take on whichever fast guys showed up. Hell, I busted 4 bones at the last event and left the hospital to go watch the "shootout".   In the other regions, it seems like just another race.

Also paying purse $$ in amatuer promotes cherry picking or guys staying in amatuer that are really good riders.
I didn't like the idea when I was an amatuer.  I don't think its good to have the extra pressure of purse $$ on the line with riders of lesser experience. That being said, if they are going to pay......shoot, go for it.  I can't blame you or Quick for going for it.  Your mistaken if you think we are hatin on am's

The only FL event I have been at is Daytona for the ROC. Sounds like it would be great to watch, but there can be just as much exceitment in the AM ranks. I remember Robbie Wilikey, Bret Garretson, and Loyd Bayley as AM had a lot of excitement and people watching thier races too, did they not deserve and $'s because they didnt spend as much $'s and the experts that they were running with?

Promption is what I am getting at, getting moer sponsers invovled, more people watching.. that is how you create more $'s for purses not taking it away from the classes that do pay. Which is what it sounds like you saying about the FL region.. It was promoted a bit more that just another race was. Have a dash for the cash race..

If you arent haten on AM's it sure sounds that way.. I saw 3 or four post that all said the same thing... AM's dont deserve the ehasust fumes of you EX's. If I was misstaken I will offer and appolgy..
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic

LilJayRR

Quote from: MELK-MAN on April 17, 2008, 01:35:39 PM
Jason.. im on the phone to Kevin elliot today to request that the Unlimited GP AM and EX payouts be switched to the riders finishing 5th through 10th.. I feel it is unfair to leave out these riders, im using your logic that everyone, AM or EX alike should be treated fairly. Since AM riders can make a few $ as can the EX riders we can not leave out the guys that finish just a little way back.  After all, the $150 or  that is the wining payout for this race will make the weekend profitable now.. sheeze. As for your comment that as an AM rider, you would not race unlimited GP if there was no payout.. well , that just sad. I do agree riders should try to collect whatever they can, I started racing HWSS mid season my Am year as there was much more contingency available than some other classes. You should look over the contingency payouts for all classes to figure where you can get the most tire money, etc. I dont look down on riders that run the AM ULGP to get the whopping $150-200 to win.. i just think it silly that AM riders get any cash payout period.  FYI, the "average" my only be 3 yrs but that stat is skewed by the MANY riders that get out after the 1st year.. (IMO).
Like Dwire said, the ULGP expert event in FL is a showcase.. best talent, on the best bikes they can get on the track.

Using my logic? Where did I say that 5th - 10th needed a payout, or that EX and AM's should be treated the same. Experts already make more in contengency and purses, and manufacturer money.. I think the current way of payouts, contengency etc.. is fair the way it is. What I said is, what is available shouldnt be taken away just to go to Ex's. Which is what you all were saying. Am's didnt deserve it and it should be given to the Ex as more purse payout.

Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic

Sobottka

I would take it a step further and say AMs shouldn't be awarded championships, regional or national 
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

r1owner

I think AM's should stay at trackdays.

honda60071

Weren't EX, AM at one time?  This is club racing! Not AMA,SBK,Moto GP. Get a grip. Sure lots of ex have there AMA card and that is really something to admire. Until one of us works for CCS/ASRA leave the AM alone or help out with advice. One day most AM you talk to now will be EX given time. Be careful who you bash they might in front of you at one point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shawn

backMARKr

Finally...something to read!!! This place has been a tomb....

I was getting tired of teaching my classes....
NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

d-wire

:banghead:   I'll make sure I speak for myself here.....If you spent 3 minutes with me, you would know I don't have a problem with anyone faster and anyone slower.  The conversation was about whether or not $ should be paid in amatuer UNGP.  We have a different perspective because we race in the FL region and the UNGP "shootout" is a huge deal with the $ being part of that.  It would be great if $ was paid in EVERY class.  

TEST ME.....Come over at ANY event, and ask for some help and see if you get a favorable response.....then form your opinion on whether or not I have a problem with ANY rider.  
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

d-wire

PLease quote where I was disrespecting someone.  If you get offended every time someone has a different opinion.....geez, relax just a little. 
FL region #2