News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Unlimited grand prix payouts

Started by quicktoy, April 16, 2008, 05:52:23 PM

quicktoy

your probably getting slack Greg cause you did say "amateur payouts are gay"  which we both know isnt what ya meant but people who dont know u will take that the wrong way
My return as an Amateur

104fahl

Melk-man, I'll borrow you some inches if you ever need them. I got some to spare.

cardzilla

Sheesh, I leave for a day and all hell breaks loose.

Look, in all forms of sport when you first start you have to take some sh!t, plain and simple.  When I started playing hockey I had to carry the older player's bags to the team bus, in football it was the gatorade jugs.  If you work hard, improve and earn respect, respect will be shown to you.   I'm so tired of the mentality in this country these days... I call it the soccer mentality (soccer is another post that I could rant about for days) namely that everyone deserves something "just for showing up."  ... BULLSH!T!  Hey, little johnny or suzie.... life doesn't pay back to tenth place ok?  You don't get a promotion for finishing 23rd in the office and Hitler wouldn't have stopped being a world menace just because the allieds "showed up."  Instead of whining about expert entitlement how about channeling that energy into BECOMING an expert?  If you really want to be an expert and have an average amount of talent you can petition for it.  Most am's gain 3-4 seconds a lap after their first few weekends of being an EX.   
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

hdpromos

Greg, yes I did say something about not "stinking up" our main event but you also spoke of something about amateurs being "gay"! So you're as bad as me or worse, arn't ya?

HD

MELK-MAN

Quote from: hdpromos on April 18, 2008, 09:48:48 AM
Greg, yes I did say something about not "stinking up" our main event but you also spoke of something about amateurs being "gay"! So you're as bad as me or worse, arn't ya?

HD

OH NO..dont go getting a lynch mob after me now HD.. lol. :kissy: :kissy: Cleverly leaving out the word "get paid" from my quote is gonna get me sugar in my gastank at the JGP round..  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
And thanks Scott.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

fatboy122

Sean, Greg and Henry..you guys are mean :wah:

LilJayRR

I wasn't going to post again but, since everyone else is why not...

Quick, I heard the 'buzz' around CMP from a few people about you. Not that it was a bad thing. It doesn't botter me at all. Your playing by the rules, so I wont be one that 'whines' about you. I like it actually it sets a bar if you will. Someone has to be the guy that everyone is gunning for so to speak. I'm glad you are back, and I hope you do well.

cardzilla, it has nothing to do with 'taking shit' or deserving something for 'just showing up'. What I said wasn't that everyone should get something. What I said was not to take away the small amount that AM's do get just to give it to the EX because the spend more $'s. What I said was figure out away to increase payouts without taking away if you feel EX's need more payouts. I never said AM's were entitled or deserved more. I don't think that what they do receive currently should be taken away.... If you don't like 40 am's and 10 ex's grids, figure out a way to help keep am's in the sport longer so that they become ex's and then help them stay in the sport as ex's. With no support etc. while they are at the bottom they will never get to the top, and your position of AM's don't deserve anything is counter productive IMO.

MELK-MAN, again my problem with your statement was you want to take it away from the AM's and give it to the EX's because they spend more $'s on a weekend. You may not agree that AM's should be able to 'win' any $'s, but this sport is expensive and it grows from the bottom up, so any amount of support that AM's receive is good for everyone involved in this sport. IMO. If you want more payouts for EX's figure out a way to do that without taking away from somewhere else (ala AM's).

d-wire, just like you said, "its hard to afford this sport more than 3 years........if the purse $ is better
in expert, guys can afford to do this sport longer.  Its easy to get to expert....hard to stay there."  Its a two way street, not only is it hard for EX's its hard for AM's to afford this sport too. I work hard to have enough money to race, you have to WANT to afford it. The small amount of $'s a AM can win as small as it is does help and that is good for AM's and EX's IMO. 

HD, I don't know you, and you don't know me so please don't presume that I have no ambition to be an expert, Or what my ambitions are. Coming from someone that runs the FL region I'm honestly a bit shocked that you would speak to any AM that way. I would think you would be all for trying to figure out a way to get more people involved and keep the people that are involved in the sport, and would understand that helping AM's is good for the sport whether we 'stink up' your shootout or not. I like the idea of a shootout, sounds like a great race. Maybe your comment wasn't meant the way I took it but it did sound a bit condescending to me.

Why the attitude of entitlement from the EX's to the AM's. Is it that Am's haven't earned it? Am's don't work as hard or spend as much? Am's are a lower class of racer? Why the resistance to help Am's via contencgeny and purses? You can say that with money on the line Am's will do something stupid just to try to win the $'s. Maybe, I would go a step further and say the Am's that are running up front and have the chance to win a purse are more experienced and could be competitive with some Ex's. The Am's at the front probably have 2 yrs exp or so and by your own admission that is the 'typical' time to be an expert. The rest of the pack have no chance at the $'s and their inexperience shows by their finishing place. Plus there is always money on the line via contingency, and I don't think there are any more stupid moves by us Am's than when there is a purse on the line. If you want more $'s for Ex purse why not have Ex races with a purse cost more, and put that money into a purse. Isn't that where the ULGP  and ASRA purses comes from? Make all Ex races $25 more and have a purse, and make the 'shootout' $50 more and have a bigger purse..

This is club racing after all, I know there are a few guys that can and do make a living off of it, but for most of us just because you can win money at it doesnt make you a professional. Pro/Am type series yes, but professional series no. Some of the Ex need to remember you were once Am's and some/most of us Am's will be Ex one day too, and you are not more of a person for it than the rest of us that haven't made it there yet. You just started earlier.

OK That's it, let the bashing begin...
Jason Gibbens
Expert #62 Mid-Atlantic
2007 GTU Team Challenge Champions!
2009 ZX6R RnR Cycles, Repsol, Dunlop, Woodcraft

bel-biv

I have nothing to add to this discussion other than to say that...

I like to race.

That is all.

Carry on.
Steve #176

www.patriotracing.us
Making a difference through motorsports.

Full Spectrum Power | Innovative Motorcycle Research | Cornerspeed | Orient Express | BG Oil | Online Paddock | On The Throttle

d-wire

(quote)Why the attitude of entitlement from the EX's to the AM's. Is it that Am's haven't earned it? Am's don't work as hard or spend as much? Am's are a lower class of racer? Why the resistance to help Am's via contencgeny and purses? You can say that with money on the line Am's will do something stupid just to try to win the $'s. Maybe, I would go a step further and say the Am's that are running up front and have the chance to win a purse are more experienced and could be competitive with some Ex's. The Am's at the front probably have 2 yrs exp or so and by your own admission that is the 'typical' time to be an expert. The rest of the pack have no chance at the $'s and their inexperience shows by their finishing place. Plus there is always money on the line via contingency, and I don't think there are any more stupid moves by us Am's than when there is a purse on the line. If you want more $'s for Ex purse why not have Ex races with a purse cost more, and put that money into a purse. Isn't that where the ULGP  and ASRA purses comes from? Make all Ex races $25 more and have a purse, and make the 'shootout' $50 more and have a bigger purse..

This is club racing after all, I know there are a few guys that can and do make a living off of it, but for most of us just because you can win money at it doesnt make you a professional. Pro/Am type series yes, but professional series no. Some of the Ex need to remember you were once Am's and some/most of us Am's will be Ex one day too, and you are not more of a person for it than the rest of us that haven't made it there yet. You just started earlier.

OK That's it, let the bashing begin...
************************************************************************************************************************************

We are really beating this dead horse here Jason.   I'll try to answer some of your questions and you try to not take it personally.  In my case, there is no "attitude of entitlement".  I pit with Karl Sanders and the DOuglas Brothers and they are amatuers or were last yr. I have almost taken out Melka with money on the line...so, I'll answer that with a yes......I said from the beginning, one of very few reasons I don't like the idea .... there is already tire $ and contingency, the added pressure of purse $ isn't needed for an inexperienced rider.  You almost answer your own question.......saying that the top am's would do well in expert.  EXACTLY!  And they should and would welcome their competition.  We know they are good riders and want them in expert. 

I did maybe 6 or 7 races as an amatuer.  I ran pretty well, and could have stayed am.....but, I wanted to try and compete with the best guys at a given weekend.  The following yr, I probably would have been a big fish in a little pond.  NOw, Im a tiny little guppie....in an ocean..LOL.   Which is reason #2 I like the idea of keeping the $ in expert.  It makes guys WANT to get there and compete.  It makes the show better and takes the added pressure of the $ off the riders that are learning so much. Every yr there are those guys that are am and everyone knows they would be up front in expert.  I don't like the idea of rewarding that attitude.  THats it.  Its not personal. I think its healthy for the sport for guys that aren't super fast to feel like they can enter races as an amatuer and not get run over by really fast guys.  Track day guys.  Entry level racing.

As far as paying more entry fees for expert......maybe an idea, but I think I spent 6 figures racing last year.  I wanted to get faster and compete as much as possible.  3 or 4 sets of tires a weekend.....$22 a gallon rocket fuel....Douglas bros won all the amatuer stuff on my takeoffs and pump gas.   I don't know that we need higher entry fees if we want to keep riders in the sport. 

SO, I think having the $ in expert is going to make Jason and Quick want to go expert and compete as soon as they feel ready.....I think that is healthy for the sport and welcome your competition.  You somehow view that as an "attitude". Its just a different perspective from someone who has been in your shoes and mine.  We need more amatuer riders and need to find a way for the fast guys to afford the sport more than a few yrs.

I RESPECT ANYONE WHO HAS THE BALLS TO RACE A MOTORCYCLE.......CONSIDER THEM MY BROTHERS.

Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

fatboy122

I rode a few FL region races last year as an AM..i dont recall myself or my brother complaining one time about there not being a Am UNLGP race..i fully understand why Henry runs his show the way he does..i wasnt always happy about not having a chance to race for the cash but i understood..whether a purse is paid in the AM ranks or not its still really expensive to race and i probably would never had noticed the extra 100 bucks anyway..i made more money selling my Dunlop certs to Dwire and Robby last year than i did by winning races and i think i won roughly 25 or 30..so IMO keep the cash in the expert ranks..when the AM get good enough to move to expert then they will have a chance of cashing in against real competition like Dwire, Melka, and the rest of the guys that run consistently in the top 5..

d-wire

Love that attitude fatboy.  I know you have the skills and will prove yourself.  You know Im looking forward to it.  And that attitude is what you need to beat the guys that are just a little bit infront.

A mid pack am wanting to be a top 5 guy......a winning am wanting to get to expert and earn some of the $ and show those guys whats up.  You'll see that anyone who is great at any sport.....spend little time patting themselves on the back, and lots of time shooting for those just a little faster/better.  Jordan always wanted the ball with the game on the line.  Fatboy wants the opportunity.  No "attitude of entitlement" from him. I want to raise the level of my racing to be able to ride with the guys that are faster than me......and I WANT IT BAD. Please don't take what Ive said here, and exaggerate it.......like I want every rider to bump this week.   :biggrin: 

Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

vnvbandit

Quote from: fatboy122 on April 18, 2008, 10:08:56 AM
Sean, Greg and Henry..you guys are mean :wah:

Nah.......... All 3 are just angels! ::) Well, 2 out of 3 anyway!  ::)

OBTW  want $$$$ go expert. I like the way Florida does it. We end up with a great weekend of racing with the grand finale.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick