Qualifying

Started by cardzilla, July 28, 2004, 07:58:17 PM

StumpysWife

Qualifying seems nice in conversation, but without a major change (reduction in racing) in the schedule, probably wouldn't work.  Back-to-backs aren't fun as it is.

My issue is more time to burn up tires and fuel.  I think we'd rather wear out tires racing than qualifying.  

It is kind of fun for the Unlimited GP, though.  And it seems appropriate as there is a purse to win.  

Oh yeah, and this year we're all for gridding by points!   ;D

Heather

TZDeSioux

We all should be gridded according to Height and Weight. Fat tall guys first.. skinny midgets last.

tug296

Not being a richie and never knowing I can make the next races because of work ect., hardley ever able to pre-enter. Almost always start at the back, this is not a bad thing because my bike is somewhat slow, and the bikes I'm able to pass is like where I should end up. Also stay out of the way of fast guys who would pass anyway.
I have been fortunate to make every race so far this season so up in the points, if gridded by points I'd start near the front and be a back marker right from the start, wouldn't bother me, but wouldn't want to hold up faster guys on faster bikes.
Hoping for a more competitive machine next season.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

motomadness

If qualifying had some reward or bragging/boasting that came with it, then I think people would put in a much greater effort for qualifying.  Ya know, something else to track and put on our resume.  For experts it would give you a taste of what the prof ranks are like.

You can even set it up where, if you didn't want to qualify, you just accept the grid position given to you by registration.  That way, if only a handful of people really want to try and qualify, they can have at it, while everyone else just gambles on when they registered.  This could be sorted out during registration check-in.

Super Dave

QuoteYou can even set it up where, if you didn't want to qualify, you just accept the grid position given to you by registration.  That way, if only a handful of people really want to try and qualify, they can have at it, while everyone else just gambles on when they registered.  This could be sorted out during registration check-in.

And it does work that way...

Qualifying does involve some risk.  MAM on Saturday was a good example.  It was wet for qualifying.  Some guys went out immediately on rains.  I know I waited until the last minute and went out on DOT's.  Others didn't go out at all and just took their position based on entry.

I enjoy the process.  

I just want to be close to the front.  With my bizzare eyesight, it's certainly harder from me further back getting through traffic.  First Blackhawk, I did my traditional practice on really worn tires, and continued on with those tires in qualifying...Never again, as I was just not doing the lap times I can do...it was too hard to try to play catch up to get my money back.

This year I've had a third and second position qualifying time.  I would like to have a qualifying pole...
Super Dave

spyderchick

You guys should stop arguing and have everyone do a few rounds of rock/paper/scissors. ::) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Clay

No arguing here, this isn't WERA.  :P

I'd like it to be based on points, just for those of us that are actually chasing a championship.  I'm not really "pissed" about it being based off of registration though.  It just makes it seem a little less like "real" racing when it's done that way.  

motomadness

If you are racing for point, it almost doesn't matter where you start, as long as you are near the people who are in contention for the championship.  When chasing a championship at the club level, a lot of luck is involve, then consistency comes next.  If someone show up once or twice, then snatches a win, in the long run it won't matter much.

Last year, I finished 4th in the LWGP championship, having only finished as high as 5th the entire season.  A few times I was close to leading the championship, but I blame bike problems for that.  I guess what I am saying is qualifying will benefit those most interested in it, but a championship will take more than a few good qualifying sessions.  The real benefit may not even be realized for a few seasons - strategy-wise.

Eric Kelcher

Food for thought

Think of this pre reg is done to help speed things up on the race weekend by handling many(most?) entries prior to the weekend. In order to continue to encourage people to pre enter then post entries prices would have a surcharge on them.

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

J-Janisch

i vote 4 rock/papper/scissors....we sign up when we get 2 the track, plus i like the game ;D

Clay

Now that's an idea!  LOL

motomadness

So how many folks are allowed to play rock/paper/scissors?  ;D