Qualifying

Started by cardzilla, July 28, 2004, 07:58:17 PM

motomadness

Maybe as a riders' group we can make Blackhawk event as popular and as promoted as WSMC events.  They have the RRW.com 250 class, the Toyota 200 qualifier and finale, and a few other premiere pro spectacles.  I think there should be a Blackhawk 250K or something again, some sort of fan day, some sort of season long qualifying promotion with all qualifiers battling it out at a local finale.  That last idea can really build a promotion within itself.

Let's build a better MW region.  Run some experimental programs next year and see if they can be expanded to other regions in the future.

motomadness

ecumike,

I've got mine - Monsta da Cycle Psycho!

cstem

I have seen a few interesting points and would like to address them.  First, as far as an organization run by racers- CCS is run from the top down by many former and some current racers.  Anyone that thinks Kevin does not do this from the deepest regions of his heart are wrong.  Yes CCS is owned by Clear Channel and that has it's good as well as bad points.  Spectators- this is one we have been try ing to figure out for a long time.  Our best spectator turn out came the Sunday after the AMA Supercross.  We advertised on the Jumbo $5 off to stub holders.  It worked great!  Advertising on radio and in print is expensive as it gets and not worth the return at this point.  WSMC does not get any more spectators than a in the red CCS event in the middle of the summer here in Phoenix( translation- such a bad turnout racers don't even show).  WSMC does a lot of handshake deals and also has the Huth family who owns the track driving alot of what happens wiht sponsors.  Most tracks we go to as bike racers- we are second class citizens and they just wish some IRL team would rent the track for twice what we pay.  Now I have some ideas to get spectators in and I would like to know what everyone thinks.  First, have someone (in my region it will be me) send in a blurb and results (no negative info-just good stuff) into RRW after the event.  Continued next post.
The voice of the Southwest.

cstem

Second- if you have first time guests coming out, try to have them there at least for the UNGP races and some of your regions premiere events.  You can try to get us on public acces cable like Wayne's World (Tried that here and the guys went flaky after the first event.)  Quit complaining about the gate fee.  If you want purse money and not $100 race entries- that is where some of that ching comes from.  Talk to your announcers and keep them informed about things throughout the day.  We can't get around with such short mic cords!  If your announcer gets crabby about people coming to talk to them- get them fired- it is thier job.  Make it a show not just a race-wave on cooldown laps.  I know it feels dumb like you are showboating but the non racer crowd loves it and if you all do it you will not feel silly.  Keep your pits clean.  I have seen the cleanest pits from the poorest racers and some of the most trachy from the richest.  Tidy it up and this goes for your help.  Keep shirts on, the cussing down and the sauce away until quitting time- look sharp for the uninitiated.  Some one mentioned it looking like a yard sale and they are right.  Good presentation can enhance any budget racers appearance.  Lastly, expect the same from you CCS staff.  Be polite and realize stuff happens- but if you see something or have a suggestion- pipe up and if they don't want to hear it let Kevin know. Just remember not every suggestion will be acted upon but we can at least act like we tink it's a good idea right? :o  If no one in your region is promoting the sport- give it a shot. You will get no budget (just like us) but if it works, maybe CC will see it and BUY into it.  I am really open to suggestions.  In the Southwest region we probably have one of the largest motorcycle communities in the country, rideable weather year round (unless you ride a Harley- 80 degree sunny days only please) and we are lucky to pull over 75 true non-connected to the sport spectators.  Let's keep the ideas flying here- I have heard some good suggestions already!
The voice of the Southwest.

Super Dave

At Blackhawk, the management loves us as motorcycle racers...and they are hardcore SCCA GT1 competitors.  

Events need to be around the same time of year every year.  That's how AMA events succeed.  FUSA events even work that way.  The FUSA Loudon Classic is the same time as the AMA Loudon event.  

Announcers are good.  I keep mine informed.

We have a good amount of good guys that make the show look good.  

Bad side...we have pretty big entries, but we have no one writing about it.  So, unless you beat your own drum, which I do, no one may ever know what you did at Blackhawk.  This was the same problem fifteen years ago at Blackhawk.  That IS a CCS problem.  People have tried to do it, but there were issues on who's ownership the writings were, etc.

Did I mention the fact that I'm a road racer and that I find a seventy race format dull and boring.  Unless I'm racing in thirty races, I'm sick and tired of the event by about race seven.
Super Dave

hooter31

PROMOTE YOURSELF...TAKE A GOOD LONG LOOK AT THE PRESENTATION THAT YOUR PIT DISPLAYS AND ASK YOURSELF WOULD YOU GIVE THIS GUY MONEY. I am lucky to have a sponsor ...in return I keep my equipment in showroom condition as well as do at least 20 promos a year,(away from the track)I see riders that are faster than me on equipment that looks like crap wondering why nobody wants their name on their bike.If you want to be supported as a pro you must look like a pro.Everyone wants to back a winner.It may make you feel better to say you beat so and so on your beat up piece of crap but it won't get you sponsors.Image is everything...look at Kyle Petty,the highest paid midpack driver,but he has game.Insted of decking the head on your motor to get 2hp,clean and paint your bike and ride allitle harder...just my 2cts. :)

Baltobuell

I'm with hooter on this one. The first year I had My X FUSA bike, the local dealer asked me to loan it to them for the show at the civic center because it was clean and pretty. Being honored I said sure and thought it was cool. Later they redid my heads for free. I'm an amature doing this for sport and just acting and looking presentable WILL help you continue.
  Then, when I helped out at a demo ride, (which I had a ton of fun doing) I was introduced as a dealer sponsored thunderbike rider (remember I'm an old idiot amature having fun) I was later payed by a fresh engine. Just being a normal friendly guy and keeping your stuff clean, can be something a local dealer will talk about being associated with. It can pay suprising dividends.