Bimotas in LW SS...

Started by MACOP1104, July 23, 2010, 09:37:23 AM

MACOP1104

Quote from: racer880 on October 19, 2010, 10:10:19 AM
Now if I want to be competitive next season I have to buy a 1000 or Bimota.These bikes should not be in LWSS.We used to have a class called Production (Proddy) Now SS is a superbike class.

The 1000s have always been allowed but with time and technology they got faster. Just like the Duc Supermono was indexed out of some classes.  Should the Bimota be indexed out also?  What is the the true concept of light weight classes?  Surely not $32000 motorcycles with 100+ HP.  What is the concept of supersport classes and why can people use ram air, slipper clutches, Brembo master cylinders?  Let the Bimota race in Thunderbike, LTWT GP, Ltwt SBK and GT Lights.  Boot the 1000s out of LTWT Supersport.  Boot the SV superbikes out of ULWSB, supersport SVs only.  That will give Hawks, FZR400s and EXs a place to play.

MACOP1104

Gino230,
Your Duc 1000 made 89hp.  Considering the weight of that bike and a true SS legal SV has about 82hp on MR12, that's not that bad of a spread for LWSS. 
But, what would your bike make with a full system, milled heads, and MR12?

roadracer162

I had the opportunity to weigh my bike this weekend at the ROC. The #22 Ducati 800 weighs in at 365# with two gallons of fuel. Weight reduction include a carbon fuel tank, aluminium fairing stay and Marchesini Aluminium wheels. The usual Woodcraft clip-ons, rearsets and bodywork was also replaced. As stated in an earlier post the motor produces almost 87 hp presumably on the same dyno as Gino's.

Gino-Yours may be a little down on power based on what I know of other 1000's on the same dyno making 93-96 depending on whether the lid is on.

On the SV and their legality. At the ROC I was informed by the owner of a very fast SV that his is a SS build making the 84hp(2nd gen). His bike is also much lighter than mine. He did do a 1:34.9 at Homestead which is very fast for a lightweight bike. That's what I saw on the time-sheets. He also apparently went faster and blasted out a 1:34.1.

As for the legality of the SV-are cam swaps legal in SS? Is using an earlier crank legal? Also found out that bike has a 1mm overbore which is illegal for Ultralight SB(makes it 660cc or somewhere about there). On a given weekend I would typically beat that rider when he was running in the 37's. This weekend I had nothing for them.

I think the SS class is what it is. If there ought to be a stock class maybe it can be called Superstock or Production.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

apriliaman

mark you need to race up this way to the north where there are alot of fast SV'S!! ,there is also buells also which you dont have much in your area.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

twilkinson3

For Mark - and this is to my knowledge -

2nd gen cams in a first gen motor are not legal for SS (I asked...) a first gen crank in a second gen motor are not legal, a 2nd gen engine (cases bottom half only even) is not legal in a 1st gen frame even if it's using hte first gen heads and carbs

Average 1st gen SV makes low to maybe mid 70s hp wise with nohting special, 2nd gen makes about 5 more on average - use race gas, full exhaust, ignition advance (legal in ss) and a few other tricks and you might get a gen1 over 80hp if it's real fresh

For comparision sake Jared Herbig's bike dyno'd at like 61.4hp up here at a Blackhawk Track day a month or so ago - gen1 sv650 - so there can be quite a bit of variance on the sv's

MACOP1104

My 1st gen SV on pump gas, M4 pipe and jet kit made 68.4HP.  If a 1st Gen SV is motoring a Duc 1000 something is definitely going on... 

racer880

Exactly! My 10k stock SV has 55 Superflow or 65 Dynojet on Motocouse Dyno. 2nd gen intakes yielded nothing (I was told it was legal).Race fuel bumped me to 74.This is not competitive anymore in LWSS.At this point I have to spend 15k to build a superbike or buy a 1000.If I do build a Superbike there is still a big disadvantage in LWSB. I was faster in 2002 on my Motocourse Ducatis 750s they had 85 HP. The few wins I had the last 2 seasons was because I rode full tilt The SVs that are consistently competitive are tweaked.

MACOP1104

Quote from: racer880 on October 20, 2010, 04:38:31 PM
Exactly! My 10k stock SV has 55 Superflow or 65 Dynojet on Motocouse Dyno. 2nd gen intakes yielded nothing (I was told it was legal).Race fuel bumped me to 74.This is not competitive anymore in LWSS.At this point I have to spend 15k to build a superbike or buy a 1000.If I do build a Superbike there is still a big disadvantage in LWSB. I was faster in 2002 on my Motocourse Ducatis 750s they had 85 HP. The few wins I had the last 2 seasons was because I rode full tilt The SVs that are consistently competitive are tweaked.

As an Amateur, your 74 HP SV is still competitive in LWSS with WERA.  (I'm gonna beat this horse til it's a pile of bones, then I'm going to keep on beating it!)  Also, 80% of the bikes in LWSB and F2 are SS bikes racing another class.   

vnvbandit

Quote from: MACOP1104 on October 20, 2010, 04:15:53 PM
My 1st gen SV on pump gas, M4 pipe and jet kit made 68.4HP.  If a 1st Gen SV is motoring a Duc 1000 something is definitely going on...  

Mine too! 68 HP on a stock 1st gen SV.
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

racer880

Great! except I have raced Expert since the early 80s. 74 HP is tough in Florida. Although I have been running in the front this season.

MACOP1104

Quote from: racer880 on October 20, 2010, 05:56:03 PM
Great! except I have raced Expert since the early 80s. 74 HP is tough in Florida. Although I have been running in the front this season.

oh sorry!  Even as an Expert, you only have to deal with 2nd gen SVs and the odd Duc800.  No air cooled 1000s!

racer880

No shite. The discussion was 1000s and Bimotas in LWSS