Bimotas in LW SS...

Started by MACOP1104, July 23, 2010, 09:37:23 AM

roadracer162

Quote from: Ducmarc on August 01, 2010, 01:41:25 PM
why don't we put your motor in my frame its at 310lbs without all the nonsense electroincs  or we could just say we did and leave it alone      just kidding  i think i have enough parts to build a 800 minus a good set of pistons. i'm thinking about a st2  it has a linked suspension, ram air and a frame much like a superbike but better than a 888 but that's still to big for ultra light.

I've got some good 800 pistons albeit stock. Will that work?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

MACOP1104

Quote from: Ducmarc on August 01, 2010, 01:41:25 PM
why don't we put your motor in my frame its at 310lbs without all the nonsense electroincs  or we could just say we did and leave it alone      just kidding  i think i have enough parts to build a 800 minus a good set of pistons. i'm thinking about a st2  it has a linked suspension, ram air and a frame much like a superbike but better than a 888 but that's still to big for ultra light.

superbike rules mandate original frame and engine combo don't they?   

roadracer162

And SS rules require the same cams and crank in the original location, but it happens.

Now Marc, we could talk about that 750 made to develop 90hp at that 300# weight. I know where there is one and he wants my 800.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Ducmarc

That would work except the 5spd

roadracer162

With my 800 I never use 6th. I like sprocket stock giving me a better starting gear. Those Ducatis love to wheelie and I just can't get my belly far enough forward.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

Gino230

I doubt a stock 1000 DS or 1100 for that matter makes 100 RWHP. Mine was one of the best running ones and it made 92 with the airbox lid intact, back when it was fresh that is ;) slip ons, power commander, high flow breather. The 1100 makes maybe a little more.

Comparing any of the Bimotas now racing in ccs (except for Mavros's) to stock bikes is about the same as comparing your chevy malibu to a NASCAR cup car. One of the Motocorse Bimotas has a $50,000 wiring harness. No I'm not kidding.

Those bikes are built to the rules and are fast, and are not racing in SuperSport. I think the rules as they stand are pretty good, with ULW now allowing SV's.

As far as ULW, I wish I had my old 750 back, yes it was a 5 speed but I never thought that was a big deal- 350 pounds even with that big old steel tank.....I sometimes wonder how fast I could go on that bike now if I had it back....but man, was it ancient!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

roadracer162

Well this I know. My Ducati 800 with a mild SB build makes 87hp on the Superflow at MotoCorse-not bad I must say. I would think I would have a clear advantage over the SV with the likes of Mavros, DeSouza, Cohen when he had his with all of them claiming less hp and runing SS. Except for Mavros who uses the Bimota for SS. I run dead even with them on the 6/10 mile back straight of PBIR or Homestead. Other SV's like Pony or Brian Gordon's with the SB build definitely pull on me, Pony because he is so small but Brian and I are about the same size.

The SV in my mind clearly has an advantage. I have also compared my 800 against a similar build 900 and the SS build DS1000 and they are certainly faster with about the same chassis the DS has the advantage. I can't imagine how much faster the Bimota is. The last round at PBIR gave me the opportunity to run against those SS spec Bimotas in GT Lights. I hang with them in the tighter sections but the pull away from me on the 6/10 mile back straight. I must say they gain about 10 bike lengths.

The rules are what they are and I race within them. There are many that do not. If we leave the rules alone then leave them alone accross the board, or fixx them like it should have been.

Can an NCR run SS?
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

apriliaman

Why doesnt anyone race the BMW R1200s? It is allowed in the class,not the hp2. Youll have on the avg 115hp and tons of tq.IAnt it only cost new like 15k and you can get a used one for under 10 k.Remember how fast nate goes riding it? If i had the $$$$ i would ride that bike,then everyone will say that bike is too fast.In moto-st only the SV 1000 riden by the M4 team was able too keep up with that bike.
Winner of at least 50 CCS Lightweight Regional Championships
3 National Championships
Top 10 plate holder since 2006

Ducmarc

the National Cash Register bike is a legal road going production bike and i'm surprised someone has not brought one out it looks to have everything to race with all financed in one bit.

George_Linhart

Quote from: apriliaman on September 15, 2010, 04:53:42 PM
Why doesnt anyone race the BMW R1200s? It is allowed in the class,not the hp2. Youll have on the avg 115hp and tons of tq.IAnt it only cost new like 15k and you can get a used one for under 10 k.Remember how fast nate goes riding it? If i had the $$$$ i would ride that bike,then everyone will say that bike is too fast.In moto-st only the SV 1000 riden by the M4 team was able too keep up with that bike.

Well, I've seen a few show up at races from time to time but they don't seem to stick around more than 1 or 2 rounds.  The HP and torque sounds good; however, given the weight of the bike and the funky shaft drive system I think you need a very physically fit and tallented rider to go fast.  Also, as with any "unusual" bike in the paddock you don't have any spare parts availability/support at the track and nobody can help you with set-up.  You would really need to be dedicated and good at set-up to really be effective on this bike.  The Moto-ST team had good, experienced riders, got lots of track time to get set-up right and a dealerhsip support semi at the track - you need to take that into consideration when you look at the results.

That said - I got a front row seat watching Nate run that thing into the kink at Road America (I had a mechanical and I parked it to the side of the track).  Sitting just over the wall it ws surreal watching how far sideways Nate got it on the brakes into the kink and then watching the bike load up and shift to the side on its axis due to the torque being transmitted though the shaft drive.

Very cool.

George

George_Linhart

Quote from: Ducmarc on September 15, 2010, 09:51:01 PM
the National Cash Register bike is a legal road going production bike and i'm surprised someone has not brought one out it looks to have everything to race with all financed in one bit.

One showed up at Road America in 2008 (I think it was 2008). The bike was very fast, but either the ridier was pretty slow or (more likely) was terrified of destroying his $50,000 motorcycle.  The carbon fiber body work on it was beautiful and I am sure that the replacement cost of that an any of the other unobtanium NCR parts was weighing heavily on his mind every race.

George

Gino230

The NCR is not sold for street use, thus it is not legal for SS, SB, TB, etc. One showed up at Daytona in 2007 and Jason (I think) protested and he was only allowed to run in LWGP.

Mark I'm curious as to how fast that 800 is, let's try to ride together at PBIR if you're coming.

Also, I'm curious as to what SuperSport spec Bimotas you ran against at PBIR? Unless you're referring to Mavros.

Bottom line, the rider is everything. Last time out at Homestead, I didn't get within a second of my fastest lap, and although the motor might be a little tired, it's not the bike's fault. Maybe if I started concentrating on what I'm doing instead of thinking about the bank account, what's for dinner, or the last time I tightened the front axle!
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!