News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Summit point

Started by gixster, June 11, 2008, 01:03:55 PM

gixster

So whats the deal with summit point?The track is coming up in turns 1,5,6,and 10.Its like a gravel pit.Lots of crashes this past weekend.Seems like a saftey issue to me.Hope its fixed by the 4th of july!

BowleroftheYear

they sent a sweeper out twice on monday....it didnt really do much.. i would not race on that, unless they fix it. how? who knows. concrete again? maybe. but i wouldnt race with gravel all over the track and hole in 7

Eric Kelcher

Have been advised by Summit Point personal that they have the track closed today and are using a type of epoxy ashalt repair material. I do not have any further details.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

gixster

I hope that its not just sealer like they did last year.

Cowboy 6

Oh Boy !! Here we go.....
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

BowleroftheYear

i wonder how its gonna hold after the 12 hour endurance race on friday

eh427

Why in these modern times can't someone come up with a track surface material that can stand up to the punishment of racing a lttle better than what they are using? It seems foolish to spend all that money to repave and have it come apart in such a short period of time. Or at least let the surface cure for a longer period of time before throwing vehicles back out on it.
Eric Helmbach
CCS #427
ASRA Team Challenge Overall #1
Chester Auto Repair Racing
Grease Monkey Racing

Russell2566

The modern times can come up with a track surface that stands up.

Just don't expect Summit Point to use anyone with skills outside of paving driveways. It appears to me that they are not seeking the professional road race paving expertise and paving that they should be.

Simon

Its a damn shame. Resurface the entire track, dig it back up a couple of weeks later to take out the old concrete patches, resurface it again. Close it 6-7 months later to fix the "new" surface. One of these days they'll get it right...Maybe.
MARRC Cornerworker
CCS AM 48
Always in the gravel, one way or another!
www.marrc.org

BowleroftheYear

what 1 day isnt enough time for the track to cure (insert eye rolling emoticon here)

Russell2566

I roll my eyes when someone is surprised that their new paint job won't cure in one day.... These guys thought it was a good idea to run cars on who knows how think pavement within 24-36 hours?

I think their greediness to just use the track is causing some serious quality control issues.

SVbadguy

There should not have been crashes due to gravel.  I know there were no crashes in my turn 5 on Sunday.  Several times throughout the day I had to sweep off gravel.

This is what it looked like at the end of the day.

Sealant isn't a solution for the crappy loose gravel asphalt they used here.  This is what happened with sealant on the track.   Imagine what cars would do to it.
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair