News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Firebird video??

Started by digitalRoost, August 17, 2004, 05:11:33 PM

Roger@Arroyo

Cory, racing somethin? I thought you gave up after that Dirt Trax FX game on SNES......

In all seriousness, I was bored this weekend and since we're looking at becoming a CCS affiliate for next year (ASMA) I decided to check out these boards.

As far as Firebird being unsafe, well, I've hit the wall exiting Firebird with my back, but it wasn't because of the track but a motor problem. I know we really shouldn't race on tracks with that many walls, and I can recall John Hilton's bike burning in the left after the Bondurant turn. Fact is, I'd still race there myself. It's a fun track, very challenging, but maybe reserve yourself in a corner or two (so I can pass you!). The left after Bondurant is fairly scary because of the high speeds (4th gear pinned) and little runoff, but I never noticed it until the AMA National there in 95 when I was watching the Superbike races. I had raced there for almost 3 years at that point, and never thought about crashing at that turn.

Oh yeah, I'm sure Hilton's RC30 was WAY over 25k. It's not cheap to make one of those faster in a straight line than GSXR1100's.

On another note, as far as our track out here in New Mexico is concerned, I'd like to invite you out for a weekend Cory. Bring something fun to drive, borrow something.... and we'll play and I'll show you what we have. We do have power at both the hot pits and at the tower. Our PA system works and we have a starter tower we use for announcing where you can see the whole track. What we don't have yet is a fence separating the racetrack from the pits, which we can do.

What we don't have is power for the racers tire warmers. Currently our circuit breakers won't handle it. For this we require people to use generators. Oh yeah, we also don't have any walls, and as Elaine stated, I won't put any where there is any possibility of hitting one myself. I still occasionally dust off the leathers and spray them with WD40 so I can fit in em, and take a few laps!

Zac

Hey Rog, I think Costco sells really big cans of WD-40  :P

Like I can talk  :-X

-z.

Daggerdave

That video is actually wrong in a couple spots. The first is when final part of the carousel, the bikes now make a much harder left turn, then a tighter right that shoots you out much more parallel to the wall along the hill.  Instead of the sweeping left that aims you right at the wall where Merkel was injured.  The car also skipped a couple turns the bikes use.  Where the car took a right hander into a short straight then a left kink, then right into the tower turn.  The bikes take another couple turns that put them right below the hard right next to the bleachers and aims you different than the car going into the tower.

I remember racing that track in the 80s at night without the loop at the end.  Now that was scary.

RAY_HYMER

Hey, Roger, I'll trade you some WD40 for a few track days!! ;)

Don't believe the dust on his leathers story.  I went to a track day at Arroyo, and he is way fast!!  >:(

I'm hoping to get a few guys together to go to a weekeday track day at Arroyo Seco.  I have enough guys to go, but a few more wouldn't hurt.  We will be bringing our pocketbikes, too, for a lunchtime mini-moto GP!  :o

Remember, it's just 12 days until the Firebird Main race!!  I'm already pre-entered, so I should be seeing a lot of 1A's on the grid!!   ;D    

MZGirl

It's more fun if you come to one of the regular weekend track days.  Especially if it's a race weekend.  On Sat night of race weekend Arroyo has THE BEST pit parties.  Barbecue, pit bike racing, heck if you've got an RC car bring it along as there's a dirt track to play with it on.  Yep, it's tough to get to bed early for Sunday's races...

INSANESTEVE777

Does anyone know how fast the Hymers are? Way fast!! I think I can get Ray into turn one,but he is a wizard on the brakes! I heard he has been taking lessons from "Missile Mills" and now he will show us his wheels even harder than any other weekend. :o He is still old and doesnt hang off so theres more room to get too race magician. We will see,mr. a-1 grid master!! :P

Decreasing_Dave

QuoteDoes anyone know how fast the Hymers are? Way fast!! I think I can get Ray into turn one,but he is a wizard on the brakes! I heard he has been taking lessons from "Missile Mills" and now he will show us his wheels even harder than any other weekend. :o He is still old and doesnt hang off so theres more room to get too race magician. We will see,mr. a-1 grid master!! :P

uhhh...Steve, isn't Ray your father??  Are you trying to start something with all that "Holy Hymer" shtuff??

;D

INSANESTEVE777

;DYES, IT MAKES FOR GOOD RACING AND POO TALKING!! I LIKE TO GET ALL HYPER BEFORE A RACE. DONT YOU? RACING IS FUN TO ME ONLY WHEN SHIZ TALKING IS  HAPPENING. OTHER THAN THAT YOUR GOING IN WAVEY CIRCLES AND LOOKING AT A CLOCK! BUT WITH THE ELEMENT OF THE BENCH IT BECOMES FUN! IF WE ALL RUN TOGETHER THE STORIES ARE FUNNER TO TALK ABOUT AND IF WE DONT TALK POO THAN NO ONE WOULD TRY A LITTLE MORE HERE...AND SOME HERE....AND BOOOOM!! ON ARE HEADS. IF YOUR THE FAST GUY IN THE GROUP YOU HAVE DULL STORIES TO EVERY ONE ELSE IN YOUR PIT...CAUSE THE GUYS YOUR BATTLING ARE IN ANOTHER PIT SO NO ONE GIVES A RATS TESTICAL!! IF A GUY COMES TO YOUR PIT'RANDOM CAT' AND SAYS YOUR SLOW SO GO BACK TO RIDING YOUR BICYCLE ON YOUR PAPER ROUTE WONT YOU TRY TO PASS HIM? EVEN IF ITS LEDESMA IM TRYING!!! SO ID LIKE TO SAY...."RAY MY DADDY,YOUR SLOW SO GO RACE IN THE WALKER RACE DOWN AT THE RETIREMENT HOUSE.. GO GET SOME OF THAT WOOD YOU FAT BASTARD...SPONSERED OLD B@LLS...GROSSE ...HEHE YOUR GOING DOWN FREAK!!!!

RAY_HYMER

Hey, you came from these old B@lls!    ;D
You know, battling on our GSXR's, R6's, R1's, SV650's, etc, is fun and all, but you need to get those old rat pile EX500's ready, and we can have our old classic EX500 wars!!  We still have Buttonwillow and Firebird East.  Plus we need to humiliate Matt Buck on his creepy 650 Hawk.   :o
 Ultra Lightweight Suberbike, baby.  Wood for all!!

INSANESTEVE777

OK,OK I ACCEPT YOUR OLD RAT BIKE CHALLENGE!! ILL WRITE YOUR SLOW ON THE BACK OF WHAT EVER SHIZ BOX IM RIDIDG SO YOU TRY REAL HARD ....AND CRASH!!! YOUR BIKE WILL BE THE YELLOW ONE,ITS NEVER BEEN CRASHED BY YOU SO WE CAN HAVE A NEW STORY TO TELL! SO YOU FEEL LUCK...PUNK? WELL .....DO YA? >:( ;D

Mark Bernard

Insaine... turn your caps lock off. All this yelling is giving me a headache.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

MZGirl

Quote Plus we need to humiliate Matt Buck on his creepy 650 Hawk.   :o
 Ultra Lightweight Suberbike, baby.  Wood for all!!

OOoooo!!!  Oooooo!!!  I wanna play!   :D