Firebird video??

Started by digitalRoost, August 17, 2004, 05:11:33 PM

tshowrench

Thanks alot Tsho....

Good thing you have never seen me on track b4...

All Im trying to say is that we ALL need to be advocates for our own saftey. All riders, not just you, not just your friends...

Its dangerous enough without walls all over waiting to break your legs or end your career... Think Thomas Wilson and Louden.

If we race at the SAFE fun tracks, then everyone comes out ahead.

RAY_HYMER

What a great  track day this was!  No delays, and I think our racer group got one extra session!   ;D
The weather was nice, and I thought I was actually riding pretty well on my SV650. ::)
Brian, have you asked Ted Rich if he has any video of Firebird main?  You can reach him at (602) 763-6827.  
Will, I will stop pestering you about the 20-30 mph faster thing.  I'm sure you realize how dumb your comment was.  I will just wait until the lap times and average mph are posted during the October race. If those show ANYONE 20-30 mph faster than me, you win the argument.  If it only shows 3-4 mph, I guess I am ready for MotoGP.   ;)
   All joking aside, the real point is that you feel that Firebird Main is dangerous, and I don't agree.  We can say "yes it is" and "no it isn't" over and over, but you and I have better things to do.  Let's just agree to disagree! 8)  

Rrider

Everytime I think of racing or even just riding a trackday at Firebird Main, I think of Flying Fred:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcmail/ama/merkel_retires.html

Even though I've watched every CCS event held at Main since I moved here in '97, I've avoided riding there. A few months ago, I figured I'd go out on a trackday and learn the track a little just in case I felt like racing there. After a half day trackday, I found the track a mo fo to learn. They paved the entire infield and it made seeing the track difficult.

I heard about the walls in 2, 4 knew about the grandstands and tower turn and this knowledge kept me in check when I went through those sections. I didn't expect the wall along 6-7 and it started to get to me once I started carrying more speed through there.

Like anywhere, the guys that have been running there for years are at an advantage. They know their way around. Also, they probably don't notice the paved infield as much. Us new guys gotta learn it, heard all the stories and it is a challenging track with next to no room for error in a few spots.

One thing is for sure, it would be a hell of a lot more fun if all those walls weren't there. I'm not sure if I'll be racing there, but who knows- fighting peer pressure can be a tough battle!

racen123

QuoteWhat a great  track day this was!  No delays, and I think our racer group got one extra session!   ;D
The weather was nice, and I thought I was actually riding pretty well on my SV650. ::)
Brian, have you asked Ted Rich if he has any video of Firebird main?  You can reach him at (602) 763-6827.  
Will, I will stop pestering you about the 20-30 mph faster thing.  I'm sure you realize how dumb your comment was.  I will just wait until the lap times and average mph are posted during the October race. If those show ANYONE 20-30 mph faster than me, you win the argument.  If it only shows 3-4 mph, I guess I am ready for MotoGP.   ;)
   All joking aside, the real point is that you feel that Firebird Main is dangerous, and I don't agree.  We can say "yes it is" and "no it isn't" over and over, but you and I have better things to do.  Let's just agree to disagree! 8)  

20-30 MPH sounds a little out there for that turn but I can think of a turn that many would be 20-30 mph faster than you, maybe even more, turn one at Fontana! I also doubt that the fast guys are only going 2-3 mph faster than you, let us see your fastest times at the SW and Pac tracks and we'll see how far off you are....

cstem

As far as arroyo seco goes- the paddock area,some fencing issues and (forgive me Roger- I have not talked to you lately and this may all be wrong) last I heard no power. Of coourse if this has changed I have not heard about it and defintely would not be the first. I would love to race Roger's track if nothing else but to help him out and give him our business.  Roger and I go waaayyy back and I need to call him and get the true scoop.  See you at the races!
The voice of the Southwest.

RAY_HYMER

Quote20-30 MPH sounds a little out there for that turn but I can think of a turn that many would be 20-30 mph faster than you, maybe even more, turn one at Fontana! I also doubt that the fast guys are only going 2-3 mph faster than you, let us see your fastest times at the SW and Pac tracks and we'll see how far off you are....

The debate was about the tower turn at Firebird, not Fontana.  If you look back at the posts, you will see that I said 3-4 mph.  Believe it or not, that is a HUGE difference.  I never said I was fast (well, not yet at least!). I was ridiculing the 20-30 MPH difference.  Do the math:  Firebird is a 1.6 mile course.  The record is just under 1:07.  I have done a 1:13 on a GSXR750, and I now ride a GSXR1000, and am capable of a 1:12, possibly 1:11.  Now using these figures, come up with an average mph for the lap.  If someone is 20-30 mph faster in the turn, that should translate to 20-30 mph down the straights, not to mention the difference in speed of the approach (braking) and exit (on gas) of the turns.  So the average mph would be a very good indication of the talent difference.  You math wizards, verify the answer to the average mph.  I come up with 86 mph (1:07) vs 79 mph (1:13) or 81 mph (1:11), a far cry from the 20-30 mph figure!!  I am typically about 9%-11% slower than the fastest guys, depending on the track, and I would assume that would hold true for Fontana, but I have only ridden the silly course, not the AMA course, so I can't speculate on my performance, but normally, my mid-corner speed is not that far off from the fast guys.  It is the approach and exit that hurt me.      

digitalRoost

Found this video. Does this look like the same config motorcycles run? There are walls EVERYWHERE in this video.

http://nsxprime.com/Gallery/multimedia/firlapvsupra.mov

Rrider

the video is missing a section. On this trackmap, the missing section is 7-8-9.

duc995@aol.com

That is it...other than those turns you mentioned that IS what you will be racing on!   :o

digitalRoost

so, in the map you share, I assume 7, 8 and 9 are used so I can ignore the lines that don't follow that flow?

duc995@aol.com

MZGirl

I think just before Turn 7 is where the hot dog stand is (below the grand stands).  I'm not kidding either.   :o

So if you crash there and hop the bales, you can get a hot dog while waiting for the crash truck.   ;D