News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ike Anderson's wild Barber crash.

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, August 18, 2003, 10:12:37 AM

Steviebee

hey Steve, Were you taken out near T4 ??  on friday afternoon ??

sdiver68

Steve - Yes, in the first session after lunch for the blue group

Yeah that was me.  Any eyewitness accounts?  My teammate gave me his version, and of course I have mine.  The guy supposedly stopped by and apologized...not sure which guy...I'm not mad at the guy per se...its just I wish priorities in a practice session would have been reevaluated a corner o 2 before the chain reaction started...In any case, I am thankful no one else was caught up in it badly and that I should recover mostly from the accident.

I don't know why they grouped sessions by engine size instead of skill level.  I did bump to the "bigger" group.  It was like bowling pins out there which normally I'm patient with but  sometimes can cause unexpected chain reactions.
MCRA Race School Instructor

am_#65_john_deere

sorry to hear bout your crash steve, sounds like you got pretty fucked up.you'll be back racing as soon as you feel up to it.its a bug, it keeps on biting you,you cant kill it.see you at gateway later in the year.

Steviebee

hmmm.

Listen to this.  
First session friday,  Fisrt lap out, Turn 5 (the 1st gear hairpin), as i turn in, some yahoo comes flying past me on the inside about 90mph, both tires locked up, across the track and straight into the gravel trap !! missed me by about 2 inches  

I guess he wanted to try to break the track record on his first lap.

I went over to his pits later and asked, First time here "yep", first session out "yep", first lap "yep".  I just shaked my head and walked away.

Apearently his brother was out on the bike when you got taken out.  Sounded like he tried to get on the inside of you going up the hill into to 4. (not a good place to pass)  They said he was definitly being the aggressor.  
Man i felt bad for the guy (didnt know it was you) that got taken out and brought to the hospital.

I thought that track would be a safe place to race, because its so wide.  Theres lots of room for error, but man there were a lot of crashes thou.

Theres still so many guys on the board here that i am yet to meet, but are at the same races i am at !!

K3 Chris Onwiler

Holy crap!  I can't believe that I was THERE AT BARBER, AND DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT STEVE UNTIL NOW!!!  Dude, that sux.  Let me know if I can help in any way.
I agree about the practice moronics.  Larry Pegram hit me on his Red Bull Ducati.  His leathers cost more than my bike, and if he'd wrecked me I'd be done for the year.  He DID win that practice... I saw it posted later. >:(  I saw several other insane manuvers cause big crashes as well.  It was like one in ten guys had taken stupid pills.
K3
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Chef

FIRST OFF.....

Steve, I'm REALLY SORRY to have posted and forgot to send YOUR Shout Out!!!!!!

I'm praying for you to get a 'connect' on the "bone-stuff" that Super Dave mentioned and have the recovery and confidence to participate again !!!
Much Love and Well Wishes on that!

I totally 'feel you' on the "mistake" of the other rider, and looking at my bike last nite made me think of how 'hard of a hit' there mustve been and why Stu was on the race line (which turned out to be blind for me, (behind another rider) at such a slow pace, (i know that he knows he shouldve moved over to the left (in this case) cuz he genuinely apologized in the emergency room. And i accepted it and apologized to him also. Next i wondered if i shouldve seen a yellow flag because someone mustve seen him sputtering, considering the speed in which our bikes collided...  but sometimes you get 'jerks' as if the bike will keep going,.......... I ran out of gas once, in my first race weekend, and so now, im thankful that, at that time, i didnt cause anyone any harm, .....
And thats why, Now i wont try and blame anyone, Because i DONT believe that anyone INTENDED to cause me harm, as I, Myself would quite, rather NOT cause anyone harm, in anyway, surrounding racing, ....  I think WE'RE all here to enjoy this "THING"....

whew....

Jeff, You'll be having mail, BIG BROTHER.  No words fit. ...Thnks!.......

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

r1owner

OMG Steve!  I am glad to hear that you are going to recover!  That sounds like a real nasty one man!  I looked on my cell phone last night for your number to see how you were doing, but  couldn't find it.

If you need help with anything let me know.  314-922-5287

Chef

65,, Thanks.... Brat1, I remember you well, youre cute, we'll be seein ya soon. Thanks a bunch (thumbs up)..... Hug you back, Kimmie :-*....
Lil' Thorny, "It's ALL GOOD", Baby, it's just a thing that happened, if i can get the bike back together, I'll be at BLKHWK this weekend, I'm SOO Blessed to 1, have had the time to jump, and avoid the collision myself, 2, to have had the "thought" to jump (wait till you see the photo's  :o ;D)
 (hey, wait, has anyone seen the photo's ??? )
but 3, no part of my person was involved in that "SMACK"...Dude, It HAD to have been  
:o L O U D !!!  :o ......
This could have easily been muuuuuuucccchh worse..
but,.... i can still ride.... walk,talk, think on my own, taste my favorite foods, go get whatever favorite foods..... IM trying to say, im glad it wasnt worse...

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

StumpysWife

Oh my gosh, that'd be great if you can make it this weekend!  I'm so happy for you that you're doing so well!!!!

Hopefully we'll see you Saturday!

Heather

Chef

MAN, :o this is pretty cool, 4, 5 pages to reply to  ;D

Super_Nubs, Dave.....they will always survive..  :D
Thanks Tobias, and it was Cool seein you out there again,Big time !!! and kicking it in the pits....
Super_Duck, No Lime, No debt paid! sucka  >:(,  Dude, you missed that TRACK ???
Amy, Tell Christian i dont take verbal hugs! he's gotta wait till he see's me or thet dont count, and lemme call michelle before she starts believing your lying on me  ;D......

Chef

Peanut, Philly, Donny, Stu....
MAN!!!, i so wanted to run with you guys, you know you gotta look at the other regions and see who the top runners are...You guys were going very well in practice (whenever i seen you) and on early saturday, i had decent grids for two races before the rain and i did get to mix it up with you guys a bit, and it was sweet! .... later in the day i was in the second wave as i post entered ss and that turned out to be the first race on sunday with me also in the second wave, but i was looking forward to the later races on sunday i was to be back in the first wave..

Trophy_Gal & Trophy_Guy, BIG SHOUT OUT and Much Thanks (thumbs up)...preciate it... :) ;)
Tim, Thanks, See ya at BlkHwk...

TZDeSioux

Isaac,
after what you've been through.. i say you deserve some limes. If you're at bhf this weekend... the limes are included fo sho! I really wanted to go check the track out but decided to keep my promise to the wife and stay put.

Steve,
glad you're doing good. Hope you heal up fast and get back out there.