News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

A Question for the CCS Racer

Started by CCS, September 07, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

Are you willing to purchase a personal transponder?

Yes
54 (46.6%)
No
62 (53.4%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Voting closed: September 28, 2010, 01:57:20 PM

spyderchick

Quote from: Knightslugger on September 16, 2010, 08:43:15 PM
perhaps i worded it wrong. I understand the difference... a GPS lap timer, will give you the same data anywhere you go that a transponder can only give you on one specific weekend. I don't believe BFR/MotoVid even have their timing system active (if they even have one) during their events. you have to rely on a lap timer of some sorts. and for $450 a GPS timer is going to tell you a hell of a lot more than the CCS AMB timer ever will.

Because the laptimer is for your personal use, and the AMB system is developed to cull data from multiple bikes, sort that data, and then put it into a readable format to do timing and scoring.

So while the AMB system will not tell you more than your personal data acquisition solution, they are like comparing apples and oranges as they have different functions.

Let's face it, if one can't afford to rent or purchase a transponder from the racing organization, and one is concerned entry fees are too high, that individual needs to assess whether they are cut out for the sport. Those would be fixed costs for the course of the season, and thus one would be able to budget for them well before the season started.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tug296

Demand stimulus money from obama to help stimulate economic growth in the racing community.
This could work.
Hurry before he gets the boot.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider

roadracer162

I can understand the argument for the AMB transponder but I also see the argument to make do with what we have. It will be up to the business owner(CCS) to make the decisions which best represent the needs and wants of the members.

In response to the argument pro AMB transponder; We(the racers in club racing), liken ourselves, in this CCS club aspire to be professional as AMA. Yet even the AMA with a 0.000 finish reverts back to manual scoring(pictures) and not timing/scoring to determine a winner. What we have is not perfect by any means but I feel it works for what we need. The general feeling of the opposing thoughts is that why garner more cost in racing when there is already a deficit in participation.

It has been difficult for me to get my freinds to even look at racing even though many have respective bikes and gear. The general thought is that it costs too much to go fast. I hope to lead by example by having a limited budget($500 per weekend) and still have as much track time as a track day-even more.

That occasional racer such as Mingo will most likely not race and stick with the track days. The track day rider will most likely stick with track days.

Your argument though plausable make it sound like you will race no matter what the cost. In that case raise the registration fees to make up for the lost participation in grids from the early 2000's.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Knightslugger

Quote from: spyderchick on September 17, 2010, 09:29:58 AM
Because the laptimer is for your personal use, and the AMB system is developed to cull data from multiple bikes, sort that data, and then put it into a readable format to do timing and scoring.

So while the AMB system will not tell you more than your personal data acquisition solution, they are like comparing apples and oranges as they have different functions.

Let's face it, if one can't afford to rent or purchase a transponder from the racing organization, and one is concerned entry fees are too high, that individual needs to assess whether they are cut out for the sport. Those would be fixed costs for the course of the season, and thus one would be able to budget for them well before the season started.

so you're saying if we have to ditch an event or two to buy this transponder, we should just not compete at all, because if you can't do all the events, you shouldn't even bother to race at all.

that's the elitist attitude i was talking about. Sorry Alexa, i just cannot disagree with you more on the issue of part time competitors.

some of us just have a limited budget month to month to race. we just have to deal with that. we are the poor racers who show up anyway. we may not be able to afford the premiere season like some of you, but at least we put forth our best effort to ride.

Sobottka

Quote from: Knightslugger on September 17, 2010, 01:30:54 PM
so you're saying if we have to ditch an event or two to buy this transponder, we should just not compete at all, because if you can't do all the events, you shouldn't even bother to race at all.

:wtf: if you have to skip 1-2 events to buy a $200 used transponder YOU CANT AFFORD TO RACE!
if you arnt willing to seek out and purchase a $200 used transponder YOU DONT REALLY WANT TO RACE!
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Knightslugger

Quote from: Sobottka on September 17, 2010, 02:08:45 PM

:wtf: if you have to skip 1-2 events to buy a $200 used transponder YOU CANT AFFORD TO RACE!
if you arnt willing to seek out and purchase a $200 used transponder YOU DONT REALLY WANT TO RACE!

durr, that's why you'd skip 1 - 2 events. After that we can make the third and fourth and fifth and sixth events though.

or would you rather us not show up at all so you can race by yourself?

a $160 AMB compliant transponder is going to hard to come by en masse. you're more likely looking in the $300 range.

Sobottka

Quote from: Sobottka on September 17, 2010, 02:08:45 PM

this my friend is reality, you either get it  .....or you dont get it .....durrr 
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions

Knightslugger

Sobottka

take it as "i could care less"
this sport isnt for everyone and if you cant afford to rent or buy a transponder this sport aint for you
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions

Knightslugger

We COULD eventually buy a transponder, but it would HAVE to come at the cost of an event or at least a few races early on, or make those ragged out Dunlops last a few more races. I'm sure you can just make money appear, but a lot of us haven't gotten so much as a 25 cent raise in the last 3 years.

but what do you care.

tstruyk

I just realized you are the same guy that hedged for 11 pages on buying a new lid...
http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,23993.0.html

if it took you THAT long to sway towards buying protective gear....  :banghead:

ultimately i think what most are saying is if your budget is THAT tight, maybe taking a little time off would be a good thing for you.  you'll be missed, and then again welcomed back when times are better.

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Knightslugger

Quote from: tstruyk on September 17, 2010, 03:34:25 PM
I just realized you are the same guy that hedged for 11 pages on buying a new lid...
http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,23993.0.html

if it took you THAT long to sway towards buying protective gear....  :banghead:

Situations change. I didn't buy anything in the end.

Quoteultimately i think what most are saying is if your budget is THAT tight, maybe taking a little time off would be a good thing for you.  you'll be missed, and then again welcomed back when times are better.

That's not what Sobattka, Spyderchick and some others are saying at all. they're saying if i have to take some time off at the beginning of the season in order to afford both the transponder and the rest of the season, i shouldn't even bother showing up. very disappointing.

I really hope his opinion on the matter is not the majority's. because then I'm REALLY in the wrong club.