Safety at PBIR

Started by Toy Store, October 24, 2009, 02:55:34 PM

vnvbandit

Steve & Greg, your right! It's the annual inspection and certification tag I was referring to. OOPS   :banghead:
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

roadracer162

Uh huh...

Typically, at least in Palm Beach County the Fire Department does the inspection during the annual "Company Inspection". We will not only check for compliance(the tag) but we will also make sure the gauge reads full. If it isn't in compliance then there is a warning of violation, then one month later if it hasn't been corrected comes the fine. Sadly, I am not sure who inspects the extinguishers at the track such as the one that was photographed. I don't believe there are any statues governing their presence. I am sure now that Steve S. has said that he would check, it will be done.

Regardless of the tag or the gauge, it is wise to move the contents around so it doen't become caked. Oh, have you ever noticed the big wheeled fire extinguishers in the Daytona garages? That would be a lot more effective than the little fire bottles.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

RAISING CANE

Of course you have to get to the burning bike to put it out....I once watched a guy come into the bus stop at old Moroso....he collected another rider and went down...He quickly picked up his ride and took off not knowing the bike was on fire and getting worse as he blazed into turn 1. I guess he felt the heat cause he stopped at turn 3 :ahhh:
Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502
Sponsored by FAST LANE GRAPHICS for all your printing needs call 954-304-1422

roadracer162

I am not so worried about the bike but more the rider under the burning bike. The most likely scenario with a fuly involved burning bike those little extinguishers won't do much good. It will give the rider a chance to get from under it. Extinguishers can be effective in the right hands. I wonder how many have had a course on the use of extinguishers?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

RAISING CANE

You are correct Mark. when I was on the flight line in the air force we had training a couple times a year because those extinguishers run out very fast. A few wasted passes of the nozel and the fire may not go out with one bottle!

Glenn Penland
CCS EX# 502
Sponsored by FAST LANE GRAPHICS for all your printing needs call 954-304-1422

Candelata

Guys let's just make sure the exposed walls are covered with the proper material to protect us.
We all love racing but this terrible accident could have happened to any of us.
Is it worth to die for what you love: yes
Is it wrong to die because people are stupid and greedy (the people that built this track for motorcycle racing with a bunch of walls everywhere): yes!
PBIR / CCS fix it or A LOT  of us won't race on it again.

redlinepilot

Quote from: Candelata on November 01, 2009, 09:02:50 AM
Guys let's just make sure the exposed walls are covered with the proper material to protect us.
We all love racing but this terrible accident could have happened to any of us.
Is it worth to die for what you love: yes
Is it wrong to die because people are stupid and greedy (the people that built this track for motorcycle racing with a bunch of walls everywhere): yes!
PBIR / CCS fix it or A LOT  of us won't race on it again.

Candelata,

Take a minute to read the posts that other members have posted and you'll see that we're all concerned. At the same time I authored a topic in JenningsGP Forum that parallels this concern: "Track Safety" in general discussion. When you say guys, please understand that the riders are not in control of the track directly but you can represent your concern to the promotor. Keep reading the threads for updates and information.

http://www.jenningsgp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18629

I started that Topic for two reasons, one, I wanted to redirect the focus of the bigger picture for general track safety. Two, not to continue to fill this topic endlessly, Isidro, may he rest in peace.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

MELK-MAN

Quote from: redlinepilot on November 01, 2009, 09:25:55 AM
Candelata,

Take a minute to read the posts that other members have posted and you'll see that we're all concerned. At the same time I authored a topic in JenningsGP Forum that parallels this concern: "Track Safety" in general discussion. When you say guys, please understand that the riders are not in control of the track directly but you can represent your concern to the promotor. Keep reading the threads for updates and information.

http://www.jenningsgp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18629

I started that Topic for two reasons, one, I wanted to redirect the focus of the bigger picture for general track safety. Two, not to continue to fill this topic endlessly, Isidro, may he rest in peace.

Steve, i wouldn't waste too much time with Candelata. It is pretty clear he only reads the last couple posts of this and another thread and is just throwing fuel onto the fire.. He did the same thing in another thread (now he has 3 total posts) not even taking the time to read all the posts before making some off handed ill prepared reply.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

roadracer162

Wise man you are Mr Melka.

I do believe that some proactive atttitudes can go a long way. I think that one of those attitudes is in the aspect of training. Training for the new rider and even the experienced rider. Training for the corner worker and even training for the casual observer. How many times have we seen spectators running onto the track as a good samaritan. The corner-worker can benefit by realizing that he/she may not know everything about a given situation.

One such training topic that directly aligns with safety is the statement, "Hold your line". What does that means to you? let me hear what you have and I will give you my take on it.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

MELK-MAN

Quote from: skidMARK on November 01, 2009, 11:17:10 AM
Wise man you are Mr Melka.

I do believe that some proactive atttitudes can go a long way. I think that one of those attitudes is in the aspect of training. Training for the new rider and even the experienced rider. Training for the corner worker and even training for the casual observer. How many times have we seen spectators running onto the track as a good samaritan. The corner-worker can benefit by realizing that he/she may not know everything about a given situation.

One such training topic that directly aligns with safety is the statement, "Hold your line". What does that means to you? let me hear what you have and I will give you my take on it.

Mark

Hey Mark,
     In a limited context, i tell a rider holding a line is simply staying on the race line. However, i also add there is no need to use every inch of racetrack if they are off the pace, or usually being lapped later in most races. I don't need to tell you, but for others, Staying on the line allows the overtaking rider to anticipate with regularity where the rider they are about to overtake will be on the track in relation to they approach. If the slower rider makes an erratic move, it obviously can make a mess of things. Leaving some room inside and out is VERY important i think to allow the faster rider SAFER alternatives when deciding where to pass. It is not slowing the lapped rider one bit to leave some room inside and out to allow for a safer pass. If things go as they do 99 times out of 100, the lapped rider will hardly notice anything happens as teh faster rider goes by.
Again, im not factoring in any variables such as a crash, oil, or some reason the lapped rider would need to alter thier line off the normal race line. 

redlinepilot

Greg, I could not have said it better, I've been preaching that for years. I personally have been consulting with new riders on the side and keying them in on leaving space on the inside and not close the door. The riders school teach this but when the novice rider gets on the track the lesson doesn't always take. Reinforcing the firm message at the riders meeting is the only reminder the rider has before going out but I have an idea.
An additional tool may be developed right here in the Forum. A novice rider FAQ could be drafted, proofed and posted. The new riders would be encouraged to read and understand the points of the FAQ. There is no way to obligate them but the onus of self preservation just may have them read it. I guess what I'm saying is to produce a new Novice rider  manual for all intents and purposes. It would be a great solution and a new standard to build upon. The members of the forum or anyone with positive input can contribute collectively. We can build this and take control of the environment of our community. I would rather be in a proactive position and have these tools ready instead of waiting for something that might never be. Will you help to organize this? We have enough stand up guys to do this.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

MELK-MAN

Quote from: redlinepilot on November 01, 2009, 08:30:58 PM
Greg, I could not have said it better, I've been preaching that for years. I personally have been consulting with new riders on the side and keying them in on leaving space on the inside and not close the door. The riders school teach this but when the novice rider gets on the track the lesson doesn't always take. Reinforcing the firm message at the riders meeting is the only reminder the rider has before going out but I have an idea.
An additional tool may be developed right here in the Forum. A novice rider FAQ could be drafted, proofed and posted. The new riders would be encouraged to read and understand the points of the FAQ. There is no way to obligate them but the onus of self preservation just may have them read it. I guess what I'm saying is to produce a new Novice rider  manual for all intents and purposes. It would be a great solution and a new standard to build upon. The members of the forum or anyone with positive input can contribute collectively. We can build this and take control of the environment of our community. I would rather be in a proactive position and have these tools ready instead of waiting for something that might never be. Will you help to organize this? We have enough stand up guys to do this.

It can be a slipery slope however on how much you tell newer riders at a race day riders meeting. Would be cool if more new riders were taught this in riding schools, but the trouble is the old addage.. you can lead the horse to water but can ya make em drink?? Riders wanna race, and the last thing the ego of many will allow is keeping in mind what to do when being lapped. Would it keep them and others safe? you bet.. what to do? im not totally sure.