News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Safety at PBIR

Started by Toy Store, October 24, 2009, 02:55:34 PM

redlinepilot

The old Moroso layout had concrete barriers lined with tires around most of the track. The new PBIR advertises 1700 feet of S.A.V.E. barriers on their web site. I have not seen it and would like to know where it is, I'm not saying they don't have it but what I did see was tires lined in sections like the old Moroso but there was alot of exposed concrete that the average person would never think would matter. I've been educating myself doing research over the last few weeks and found a ton of information. If your going to PBIR for a track day or club race you should consider how easy it was for me to find what tracks across the country have done to improve their safety profile. Roadracing World kicked it off and as not to be outshined, the AMA jumped in as the leading US organization did not want to be behind the curve, this was back in 2001. Since PBIR is a condensed layout compared to other tracks and wrapped with concrete walls, I think a rider of any level would surely praise the comfort and security that if they accept the dangerous risk of racing that the infrastructure of the PBIR facility included a course lined with AirFence in front of those tires. Nobody in the forums can dictate to a privately owned facility what to do but, all of us may request dialog with PBIR to see if they are interested in this direction and as not to completely put the burden solely on PBIR, solutions to appropriate the linear footage necessary. At least the dialog of communication coming directly from PBIR would indicate if there is positive intent to address our safety needs and concerns or not. No one likes to operate or dwell in a cloud of uncertainty but I am certain that strife in not positve and it spreads. The ramifications affect all associated with the business of motorcycle racing. To PBIR's defense, they have many other functions other than motorcycle events  and the sheer costs to provide a safer facility for us might not be feasible for them.

Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

GregGorman

The "Hold your line" advice requires the rider being lapped knows two things:
1. He's being lapped.
2. What his line is.

1. is just rider awareness.  Some riders will know and some won't.  If the rider doesn't know he's being lapped, no advice will help.  Whatever he normally does, the first passer will get.  After he gets passed once though, that should be the warning there's more coming through.

2. is a little trickier. We want the rider to be predictable, that's all.  Predictable means the passing rider has calculated where he expects the lapper to go and he goes there.  Anything else is, by definition, unpredictable.  Most of all, the lapper should not swerve. A swerve is a sudden movement.  Track positioning is a definite movement to a predictable point, be it a turnpoint, mid-corner point or exit point. A lapper needs to figure out his line, using the basic out-in-out formula, from his current position and and go there.  If he's off his line, he should handle his speed accordingly.

Some of the problems with telling someone to "hold their line" are: The lapper's "line" may include swerving across the track to hit a wide turn point at the last second.  If he thinks he should follow the racing line when being lapped that can also lead to swerving as he may not be on the racing line.  The lapper may not know what the racing line is or what his line is.  That can lead to some interesting moments.

GregGorman

We need endurance racing in FL.  Nothing teaches passing and being passed like endurance racing.

redlinepilot

Being passed can be surprising an sometimes a momentary shock, I had to work on myself and mentally train knowing that I will be passed unexpectedly. I flinched, sometimes standing the bike up when a rider took the little space I left on the inside and also when the passing rider saw no other choice, the rider would pass on the outside and I would get pinched to the point of letting off the gas and one finger brake to let them in and avoid a hit. Many times down the back straight of Daytona I've heard behind me before entering the chicane tires chirping, swingarms violently rattling the chain from a riders failed attempt to pass and sometime maybe even seeing a wheel by my knee, scary. Seat time is the best teacher, gathering the tips and tools you have learned and applying them while on the track. To be mentally strong to not react (poker face) when passed. Truly, consistency is key, using the same brake markers, entry and exit points and making each lap mirror each other displays to others your predictability and safe riding method that instills confidence for others riding near you. It's your riding signature. 
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

d-wire

Steve, there is 1700ft of barrier out at PBIR right now.  I think they will be adding a substantial amount in this offseason.  Riders have already made contact with the barriers out at PBIR and were saved injury.  Also, I am under the impression that Henry Degouw and PBIR are looking at adding barriers.

Right now it is in turns 2,3, exit of 5,exit of 8,9, and 10
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

redlinepilot

Quote from: d-wire on November 05, 2009, 11:41:00 AM
Steve, there is 1700ft of barrier out at PBIR right now.  I think they will be adding a substantial amount in this offseason.  Riders have already made contact with the barriers out at PBIR and were saved injury.  Also, I am under the impression that Henry Degouw and PBIR are looking at adding barriers.

Good feedback Sean, Thanks. We can only hope that whatever method and areas are chosen comes to fruition.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

GregGorman

Wow!  That's 1700 feet?  That's almost 6 football fields of airfence?  I never would have guessed.

DEVINC

redlinepilot

Quote from: GregGorman on November 05, 2009, 01:37:52 PM
Wow!  That's 1700 feet?  That's almost 6 football fields of airfence?  I never would have guessed.

It's true Greg but 2 miles of track and concrete on both sides has more or less about 21120 feet (70 football feilds). The corner exits that Sean mentioned might just add about two or three hundred feet per turn and maybe doubling what they have now. Maybe.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

redlinepilot

By the way, where on the track are those barriers covering?
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL

d-wire

In turn 2 there are some tire barriers at the exit...the barriers are in front of the tires.  Then in turn 3, there is barrier right next to the wall.......the middle of turn 4 and turn 5 has adequate runoff....there are barriers in front of tires at the exit of turn 5.  Barriers in front of tires at the exit of turn 8 as you are coming onto the front straight.  In turn 9 (the right carousel) there are some barriers at the beginning...where you would hit if you lost the brakes or crashed on the brakes......then just tires in the middle, cause if you fell in the middle you'd be going slower and would likely stop on the asphalt....then barriers in front of the tire wall at the exit of 9 (by the pit entrance) and barriers right at the wall in turn 10 coming onto the front straight.
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

redlinepilot

Quote from: d-wire on November 05, 2009, 02:46:29 PM
In turn 2 there are some tire barriers at the exit...the barriers are in front of the tires.  Then in turn 3, there is barrier right next to the wall.......the middle of turn 4 and turn 5 has adequate runoff....there are barriers in front of tires at the exit of turn 5.  Barriers in front of tires at the exit of turn 8 as you are coming onto the front straight.  In turn 9 (the right carousel) there are some barriers at the beginning...where you would hit if you lost the brakes or crashed on the brakes......then just tires in the middle, cause if you fell in the middle you'd be going slower and would likely stop on the asphalt....then barriers in front of the tire wall at the exit of 9 (by the pit entrance) and barriers right at the wall in turn 10 coming onto the front straight.

Your the man, I like doing business with you.
Steve Guanche
Ex # 15 FL