News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Mladin out at HPT even as Track makes last minute changes

Started by Burt Munro, July 30, 2009, 11:23:41 PM

Burt Munro

Mat Mladin won't race at HPT this weekend. 

This happening as the Track continued to move walls Thursday evening to open up the Alpha runoff area.

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=37533
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

r1owner

Hmmm.... funny how CCS riders can complain about it but nothing happens.  Until..... 

Super Dave

Quote from: r1owner on July 30, 2009, 11:43:13 PM
Hmmm.... funny how CCS riders can complain about it but nothing happens.  Until..... 
Still didn't fix the real issues that have been known for years.  Hacking has left also, so the rumor goes.
Super Dave

Jeff

I'm just glad to see someone, especially someone with as much on the line as he has, to stand up and say "it's not worth it"...  Placing his LIFE above points, money, etc...

Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

r1owner

Quote from: Super Dave on July 31, 2009, 03:54:27 PM
Still didn't fix the real issues that have been known for years.  Hacking has left also, so the rumor goes.

I hear ya.  I remember sitting in (I'm pretty sure it was my first race weekend --- Gateway years ago) and someone (I think it was you) saying they should move the haybales/airfence outta the chicane onto the front straight down towards turn 1 in the riders meeting....nothing was done, and sure enough someone slid right into the wall just past the end of the "protection" towards turn 1.... :(

Super Dave

Quote from: r1owner on July 31, 2009, 06:06:32 PM
I hear ya.  I remember sitting in (I'm pretty sure it was my first race weekend --- Gateway years ago) and someone (I think it was you) saying they should move the haybales/airfence outta the chicane onto the front straight down towards turn 1 in the riders meeting....nothing was done, and sure enough someone slid right into the wall just past the end of the "protection" towards turn 1.... :(
Yeah, that collected one of the Wasco brothers that weekend?  Unfortunately, if you're around long enough, you witness things.

Mid-Ohio always had a problem with the last corner.  I watched Larry Schwartzbach get killed there in 1992.  Gordy can talk about his dear son too and the issue at Road Atlanta.  He's missed as are all the racers that have passed while on track.
Super Dave

Garywc

CCS/ASRA #77
AMA #776
http://www.eastcoastsupertwins.com
Monmouth Cycles,Woodcraft, bel-ray,AXO

Noidly1

Next thing you'll hear is that they(Pro's) want the dragstrip wall removed after T14...
'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

Tdub

Quote from: Noidly1 on July 31, 2009, 08:35:01 PM
Next thing you'll hear is that they(Pro's) want the dragstrip wall removed after T14...
So, are you saying that Mladin's claims are unfounded?

Tdub

Quote from: Garywc on July 31, 2009, 06:41:08 PM
and the AMA dont care that mat isnt going to race
DMG...DMG...DMG. But I understand your point! Tdub

Noidly1

Quote from: Tdub on August 01, 2009, 12:02:55 AM
So, are you saying that Mladin's claims are unfounded?
Your thought, not mine.
I'm basicly saying that, HPT is what it is. Yes it can use some tweeking, Just like any other track.
It was designed for drag racing first, the road coarse came later.
They are probably used to closed coarse only tracks and may not like multi-purpose facilities that we are used to.

Racing is inherintly risky, Duh... As racers, we either accept the risks or we don't race.
By in large, The successful session per-capita > insident ratio at HPT, like most tracks, is pretty high.

So, All I can say to Mat is...  Chick Chick C H I C k E N :wah:  :biggrin:

'08 R6, CCSGP44EX

tug296

I remember when Foggarty sniveled about Daytona, it's a scary place.

I raced a Florida Grand Prix Riders endurance race in Hollywood Florida in the 80's.
It was a drag strip with road course on the return road and through the parking lot, worst make do track ever, dodging holes and rises in the aspalt.
I said I wasn't going race it, but was 3rd. in points and did it without incident, just turned it down a notch and collected points.

I can certainly understand pulling out if you think it's unsafe, funny how Mladin can't just pull out without another jab at the AMA and DMG.
Henry Madsen CCS Expert #396 
2004 Am. Super Twins Champion
Florida Region,  
Moto ST #96, Corvette #6, Patriot Guard Rider