DAYTONA IS A JOKE

Started by d-wire, October 24, 2007, 09:57:40 AM

Xian_13

Quote from: superspud on October 24, 2007, 04:46:44 PM
Any place closer and more technical would be great.  Barber, Blackhawk, Grattan...  :thumb:

Ha Ha Gratten...
Even with a partial repave, that track is a sub-par track.

Fun as Hell...
But still, Sub-par.

XIII

P.S. I would race there :D
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

weggieman

This has been a subject of discontent for a long time. Write the letters to CCS and vote with your wallet. If people don't show up at Daytona, CCS will leave. It's a very expensive track to rent and CCS needs lots of people to pay the bill. Like other tracks they have quit using......if you don't show, they will leave it.

Ryan125

I made it in to the 53's and my bike only made 112hp on a dynojet 2 weeks ago. so I dont think HP is all that much a factor.

fatboy122

Ok well heres my .02 worth..Ive been under powered all year on my STOCK 03 Honda 600..My problem seems to be the same as alot of other guys..I have beaten some really talented guys with strong motors this year in the amatuer ranks..some of them on certain tracks havent been within 10 seconds to me at the end of races, yet we show up at daytona and a couple of them beat me in the middleweight superbike race, it wss in the dry, im not talking about my brother and Greg Bordeleau, those guys can ride good..It seemed that the only way i was going to do anything was for the rain to come..or get on a built bike..so thats what i did in the heavyweight races on Sunday..i borrowed a 750 from Robby Dougherty to even up the odds with the competition..I won both races!! It took me borrowing a bike that i had never even sat on to win a Natl Championship..thats total bullshit..my brother deserved a fair shot and so did Greg Bordeleau and so did i in the middleweight stuff but we didnt get it because money and HP won the damn races..here is an idea..if they wont move the ROC from daytona then why not put a HP# maximum for each class..and the top 3 go to the dyno after each race..if you run back to back races then your bike sits in tech until you are finished..it shouldnt be a big deal considering ASRA does it with there National guys..all i want is for everyone to have a fair shot at winning, thats all..Come on ASRA/CCS we are your income so why dont you guys do something about this crap yall call a Race of Champions because thsts not what it is, its a Race of Money and Motors and its PATHETIC..Racing fairly shouldnt be alot to ask, is it?? Or i agree with moving to other tracks so HP isnt as much a factor and then we will see who can REALLY ride..

MELK-MAN

Daytona does have some advantages for bikes with more hp, but it is the tradition and history of Daytona that is a big attraction for many. THe high banks, the sensation of speed and g-forces are imposed on us there like no other place. The AMA course is more rider track than the "old" course but we do that in March. Personally? i would say there are other tracks that would be more "fair" to decide a 1 race winner take all, but few track locations have the ability to host the number of riders that Daytona can. Hotels or other lodging are plentiful, so are places to eat. What i find frustrating are of the number of bike week attendies that have NO idea there are motorcyles races going on at the speedway.
Going back to HP.. i finished pretty good in the unlimited classes with a 185hp gsxr1000, but did the SAME best lap time on my r6 superbike with about 8hp more than my bone stock r6..that is perplexing.. 
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

Ducmarc

since i was spectating this year due to a mishap at jennings i noticed the crowd seemed smaller and the grids even smaller saw some good racing but if it wasn't 45min from the house not shure i would go either. i love riding on the track but never seem to do any good.after two laps it feels like a track day.since we race for points in march moving the race of champions is fine with me. i really like VIR the the surrounding area, the grounds the garges and hotels are more like a ski lodge and the track offers something for everbody.the other bitch is there's no celebration afterwards you drive all that way spend all that money and it's pick up your wood on the way out .I like our little moment in the sun .give the race to henery degow and he'll make a show of it.do you like the short course Greg?

ecumike

Quote from: Been-Jammin on October 24, 2007, 02:29:51 PM...
Well, it was fun, but disheartening to sit with the throttle pinned and be unable to hold in the draft. When you've spent a deep 5 figures into a season and watch the championship walk away and get handed to someone with almost no points on a "faster bike", it's very disheartening...

and Fatboy122 who borrowed a bike just to win....

So what's the point of going?  you know it's a HP track, and you won/felt like you could only win the race with a faster bike so you borrowed one.. that's a shallow victory isn't it?

I mean, if you know you can normally beat some dudes, and they beat you at this one track b/c of HP.. who gives a shit?  YOU know you can beat them and are a better rider.  Who are you racing for?  I'd rather be like Been-Jammin and just take it like a man and let the other dude have the shallow victory.  By far, it doesn't mean they are a better racer just b/c they have HP on you.

If this stupid championship in the end is all you're racing for, save your money, build your bike and ONLY race Daytona at the end of the year and get your little trophy. 

A dude ended up ahead of me in SE points at the end of last year, but I beat him every race we were in together.  I don't care he ended up ahead of me. Just means he raced more races than me. 

I say quit your whining and do like Weggieman says... if you don't go, they will leave.

Quote from: weggieman on October 24, 2007, 06:36:03 PM
This has been a subject of discontent for a long time. Write the letters to CCS and vote with your wallet. If people don't show up at Daytona, CCS will leave. It's a very expensive track to rent and CCS needs lots of people to pay the bill. Like other tracks they have quit using......if you don't show, they will leave it.

KTG

Sounds like everyone had a good time!    :err:
Gron4 Photography
Motorsports Photography
www.gron4.com

123user

For those at ROC this year there's a better reason to move.  Dealing with the "track ownership" issues is completely frustrating.  Examples:

1.  No VP rep is allowed... not even a mention on the PA.  Announcer was forced to say "those of you running fuel in the blue cans... please take them with you"  The majority of race fuel used by ccs racers is VP.  Sunoco is junk, made for small block chevy's.

2.  Dizzying pit transportation rules.  Pitbikes allowed, but not with license plates.  Bicycles not allowed??

3.  Getting kicked out of garages for MOTO-what?  Oh yeah, Daytona has a conflict of interest with Moto-ST.  There are enough racers to pay for a weekend at Barber or Road Atlanta.  What Moto-ST is really doing is racing (nearly) for free, on the backs of club racers.  Don't forget how they f*cked up RA this summer.

I'd love to see a dissociation with Moto-ST and Daytona, we're not getting any significant contribution from the relationship.  The common utterings go like this: "moto-ST makes it possible to race without raising entry fee's"  But now you have to sign up for a trackday to get any practice (that's $150).  If we boot Moto-ST and Daytona our fees may increase slightly, but maybe there will be some geniune practice time. 

Team Spalding

A different track every year makes sense.
Joel Spalding
CCS & ASRA #36

Sponsors: Michelin, Ducati Of Indy, Wife Cindy, Held Gloves, Southeast Sales.

steelcityracer

Quote from: benprobst on October 24, 2007, 05:16:44 PM
moderatly, but not significantly. Its got one pretty long straight away, but it has a 40mph entry and a huge braking zone at the end so corner exit speed and braking ability outweigh anything you gain with a few extras ponies. Hell we ran taller gearing at Nashville than we did road atlanta.

If a straight begins with a 40 mph turn, that makes HP more important not less important.  In a 40 mph turn the differences in speed between different riders at the apex will be small, but in a faster turn the differences in speed will be greater.  Ask any accomplished racer and they will tell you that you can make up more time in faster turns than you can in slower ones.

steelcityracer

Scotty727 made a really good point in the other thread, Daytona is the only track that doesnt hold regional races or track days, therefor it is the only place where everyone has the same ammount of track time during the year.  Any other track would give certain racers an unfair advantage.

Also, HP is and always has been important in racing.  At 190lbs on relatively stock bikes, I have never had hp/weight advantages over my competitors, yet I make do.  Racing is an expensive sport, and the further you want to go, the more expensive it gets.