DAYTONA IS A JOKE

Started by d-wire, October 24, 2007, 09:57:40 AM

d-wire

OK, Ive thought about this for a few days, here's my rant. I think if you take a poll of all the racers.....the majority would say that daytona(with both bankings) has little to do with roadracing.  :jerkoff: I get that there must be some kind of tradition or reason ($$$) for going there.... ..but to have a national championship decided by horsepower is ridiculous.  WOuld could just compare checking accounts and crown champs, or fax in our dyno sheets and crown the champs that way.  If you think Im  :wah: cause I didn't win won, your mistaken.  I had fun.  I won my SE championship this season. :biggrin:  Yep, you don't have to go.....but I enjoy racing.  BUt, DAYTONA HAS FIVE CORNERS AND A CHICANE....FIVE!!!! ::)

I have a few examples to prove my point. 

#1 The announcer had to actually use the phrase...."Mavros and WOod are in an epic battle for 3 laps now"...... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

No offense charlie buddy, but I puked in my mouth.  If Eric Wood can't pass charlie mavros on a Vespa....the track is a joke.  All of us can hold a bike wide open. :thumb:

#2 I have 2 IDENTICALLY prepared R6's.  One has 5.2 more hp.  That equated to 3.8 seconds per lap.  3.8 seconds PER LAP!!!!!!!  ::) THis is just to much of a temptation for most of the guys to stay within the rules in Supersport.  Could I protest?  Absolutely.  I can't afford to protest all of the cheaters. My 'SUPERBIKE" was getting pulled by 1/2 off the "supersport" bikes.  Dyno sheets available. Again, Before someone says "you suck out of the chicane"...I did a 54 on the faster bike. 

My solution.....Pick a different track every year.  VIR, Barber.......RIDERS TRACKS!!!! You're not going to be able to make everyone happy...so move it every year.   Give the guys with smaller budgets a chance.

Do a poll.  It would make the national championships mean more.  Can I get an AMEN??
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

ScubaSteve

Steve

CCS FL

JBraun

5.2 HP does not equal 3.8 seconds on any track, anywhere. There's another variable.
ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

d-wire

same suspension,tires,air pressure,fairings,rider,   .....rode just as hard.  No draft help either time.  WHen you have to gear for top end ....the added torque helps get you out of those slow corners....not to mention the banking.  Trust me the bikes are IDENTICAL other than motor.  My lap times vary about .5 a second a lap within a session when there are no other variables, so Im fairly consistent.

You spend what % of the lap at WOT at Daytona?  Alright...lets do some math for kicks

5 hp on a 600 is roughly 5% more power.  Laps are approximately 2:00.  Im guessing on the low side...50% of the lap is WOT.  Im sure its more.  Thats 5% more power for 60 seconds.  4 seconds is about 3% of a lap.  SO....could 5% more power for 60seconds of WOT = a 3% faster lap?   My lap timers say so.  PLus, like I said ....the added torque out of the slower corners where the gearing sucks...like the horshoe's.    I wish it werent true, I wouldn't be typing right now..LOL
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

racerhall

Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

d-wire

hall, How far apart where we at the line in the rain???  I thought you got there before me.. ..it was CLOSE :thumb:
FL region #2

steelcityracer

There is no way that 5 hp equals that much time.  I have raced at Daytona against bikes with 15 to 20 hp more than me, with riders that were 50 lbs lighter, and they still only gained about 1-1.5 seconds per lap.

steelcityracer

Also, turn one, the dogleg, and the chicane all offer a chance for the rider to make a huge difference.

d-wire

Quote from: steelcityracer on October 24, 2007, 11:27:22 AM
There is no way that 5 hp equals that much time.  I have raced at Daytona against bikes with 15 to 20 hp more than me, with riders that were 50 lbs lighter, and they still only gained about 1-1.5 seconds per lap.

they were not even close to you in skill ....I do agree those are areas to make up time.
FL region #2

bambam

i personally like the idea of moving the roc every year. living in the mid atlantic region and making the trip to daytona twice a year gets very expensive. granted it has to be held somewhere that the weather will somewhat cooperate makes it tough to move. why not road atlanta, vir, or barber or some of the other tracks that still have decent weather this time of year. i'm sure that there are tracks in other regions that still have decent ridable weather. one of the reasons i started racing was to get to ride new tracks. they say variety is the spice of life.

weil136

I absolutely agree Barber would be an excellent choice as it is such a riders track and doesn't have any real long straights, so HP really doesn't count

wolf44

yes yes yes....barber in 08!!!!
Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com