News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Anyone besides me find the Barrett-Jackson

Started by EX#996, January 29, 2005, 04:04:46 PM

K3 Chris Onwiler

Hey!  I was in mourning for months after that Bolivian arms dealer shot Crockett's Pseudo Spyder with a LAW rocket.  In fact, I'm still in mourning!  That was the coolest car ever.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

GT40

Never was the ego of a man ever manifested so well into a car.  Some may not understand...

The new Ford GT does it justice.  My wife said I could buy one, when the price was going to be $125k, which was a huge bargain, but I had to sell all my motorcycle stuff and quit racing.  Smart lady, eh?  
Super Dave

ScubaSteve

I watch it all the time since we own a few old cars 55 Nomad that we did a frame off and street rodded it full corvette drivetrain and Susp. Also have 63 Nova SS. A few of my customers that i restore cars for told me that Chryslers would be bringing big bucks!!!
Steve

CCS FL

secularist

QuoteGT40

Never was the ego of a man ever manifested so well into a car.  Some may not understand...

The new Ford GT does it justice.  My wife said I could buy one, when the price was going to be $125k, which was a huge bargain, but I had to sell all my motorcycle stuff and quit racing.  Smart lady, eh?  

the original GT40 was SOOOOOOOOOOO far ahead of it's time...proven by the fact that the new GT doesn't look like a retro car.  the damn thing is 40 years old and still looks like a future concept.

I had the great fortune to be at a vintage event at Watkins Glen years ago where the GT40 was the featured car.  there were like 30 of them there.  street cars, race cars...awesome.  the highlight for me was the race.  vintage car racing is a different world.  hired drivers, guys watching their car race from their fancy french helicopter.  each of the cars worth millions and they are trading paint and go off into the grass (and have you seen the Armco at the Glen?).

they all sounded great...the high revving of the 289's...but the roar of the 427's was what raised the hair on my neck.  just AWESOME.

and back on topic, I can't believe that Olds prototype went for 3 mil...rip off.  how many other bad ass cars would you buy instead?

the car of the auction for me was the WhattheHaye by Boyd Coddington...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...for a cool $505K!

cornercamping

GT40  :-/

I'll repeat:  1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Scaglietti Spyder  

Now that car was an awesome example of engineering at it's finest.  

Old808

QuoteGT40  :-/

I'll repeat:  1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Scaglietti Spyder  

Now that car was an awesome example of engineering at it's finest.  
Didn't you recently say the first real Ferrari was the 1984 288 GTO?  Now you're trying to pretend you know classic Ferraris.   ::) Dan, you're priceless.  ;D

EX#996

Quotethe car of the auction for me was the WhattheHaye by Boyd Coddington...Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...for a cool $505K!

That car was sweeeeet.  

So much better that that 'alumi-tub' I watched that car being built and I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

cornercamping

QuoteDidn't you recently say the first real Ferrari was the 1984 288 GTO?  Now you're trying to pretend you know classic Ferraris.   ::) Dan, you're priceless.  ;D

For Ferrari, the broke new ground with the 288, but that wasn't the greatest Ferrari of all time.  If you can find the 250 GT, chances are you won't be able to buy it without some really serious $.  Therefore, I'll take a 288   ;D

cornercamping

and as far as me knowing about "Classic Ferrari's," I don't.  I do however know which ones I want.  That's all I care about.  Screw what some other guys has  ;)

If I get that kind of coin, you'll see a 250 GT parked right next to my daily beater, the M6  ;) ;D

K3 Chris Onwiler

Dan, it's a long jump from a leased Jeep to a Ferrari anything, especially for a guy who can't even seem to make it to the racetrack with a simple, 5K motorcycle and a $200 entry fee.  
As long as we're talking about cars we'll never be able to afford, make mine one of the road legal Porsche 917 Lemans short tail coupes.
Can you picture the look on the state trooper's face as you zip by at a radar indicated 247 mph, trailed by that ripping, unmuffled flat-12 scream?
Ooooooooooohhhh!!!!!! 8)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

cornercamping

QuoteDan, it's a long jump from a leased Jeep to a Ferrari anything, especially for a guy who can't even seem to make it to the racetrack with a simple, 5K motorcycle and a $200 entry fee.

$5k motorcycle  ???  Uhm... yeah, $5K in bolt on's maybe.  I've always had an Italian Twin or a new Jap bike I flipped and rode for a weekend. But, regarding "showing up" to the race track, this year was hard because of work.  Work and family come over play time.  I got married this year, and missed half the year because of that.  The year before, I was at the track every weekend.

As far as leasing, even if I could afford any car I ever wanted, I'd still lease it.  My Jeep is still a high line car.  I could've gotten a Benz or a BMW instead.  Hell anything if I wanted to for what the payment is on the Jeep.  I could've gotten a C6 Vetter, or a new 5 Series BMW for the same lease cost.
I'd lease a Ferrari, Lambo, ect.   I wouldn't buy it unless it was a collection car. Now, the 250 GT I'd buy.  But, a new exotic, I'd lease.  That way you pay for what you use, and then get another after a couple years.  Nowaday's the cost of a car doesn't justify the purchase of it.  There isn't a car out there that is worth buying unless your going to drive it for 300K miles.  Hell, a Dodge Neon costs $20K now.  I haven't kept a car more than 3 years, so now I just lease them.  My brother is in a bad situation now.  He bought a Jeep Cherokee Limited V-8 back in 2003 brand new.  Right now, it has 80k miles on it.  It needs about $2K in repair.  He got an average interest loan, and he owes $7K more than it's blue book value, so he's stuck with it.   I'm not putting myself in that position.  I won't keep a car any longer than it's warranty period.  I'll lease it for 2 years, 30k miles, and go get another one.   That way, I'm not spending $ on maintance.  The average break even time frame on a new car is 6 years with the cost of cars now.  I'm not gonna get stuck with something I owe more on than it's worth.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Talktalktalktalktalktalk.  Yeah, Dan.  I'd have a torrid, passionate affair with Lauren Bacall when she was 19 and starring with Humphry Bogart.  Except that it's NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Sort of like you buying or even leasing a Ferrari.

A man of admittedly low ability like yourself could easily find any number of excellent, 5K bikes right here on the CCS board.  Any of these bikes would be capable of turning way better lap times than you could, as you have said yourself.  The extra 15K difference between this option and an Italian bike with full bling would buy you more entry fees and tires than most of us could ever dream of.  But, like my affair with Lauren Bacall or your Ferrari, IT AIN'T NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

According to you, you rent Macinaw Island for a bachelor party, lease a McLaren for a quick drive to the 7-11, or buy an ex-Rossi GP bike to run track days.  But for all your purported money and passion for this sport, you can't buy a used, race-prepped R6, and show up for one lousy track day.

Talktalktalktalktalktalktalktalk.

In High School, there were athletes.  Then there were guys who worked with the team as gofers, tapers, bat boys, or whatever.  The school called them assistant trainers.  We students called them athletic supporters.

Either buy a bike and go racing, or shut up and go away.  You don't have to be fast.  You don't even need to win a trophy.  Just show up and race.  This board is for racers, not dreamers.