Anyone besides me find the Barrett-Jackson

Started by EX#996, January 29, 2005, 04:04:46 PM

cornercamping

QuoteFun personal daily driver...2005 Mercedes SLK350

Awesome car.  One of the guys at work has the SLK55 AMG  :)   That car is just bad ass...

cornercamping

QuoteNo.  I wouldn't believe you anyway.  :)

::)  Want to see pictures of them.  I have some really good pics of the 749S with all the toys on it.   BST's, Ohlins, ect...

Remember when Monte Lutz was talking about the BST's melting and giving out on a Ducati when tire warmers were used with the BST's...   That was my old bike.  Right after I sold it.

Super Dave

QuoteI'm not fast enough, talented enough, nor will I ever be.  I'm not trying to be a professional motorcycle racer, nor have I ever.....I'm just as happy at a track day.  Just because I don't race every round doesn't mean that I don't spend as much time doing what I love, nor does it mean that I'm less dedicated to the sport.  I have my way of dedication, and it's to my happiness.   I could care less about anything else.  I do it becuase I love doing it.  

That's my point.  

Your lack of personal experience with the majority of racers is shining through...

A small number of racers will become experts.  A smaller number will actually try to get an AMA Pro license.  A tiny number of those riders that have AMA Pro license actually can call motorcycle racing a "profession".

I think K3, Alexa, and others have many of the same feelings that you have.  But they tried or are trying.  It goes back to what you said..."I do it because I love motorcycles and speed."...very similar.

It's very hard to take someone seriously talking about racing when your racing background is a whole lot smaller than a lot of racers.  

Often, what you do by making some statements is to show a great amount of disrespect for the accomplishments that some have sacrificed a whole lot to do.  

Racing is about doing.  Track days are about attendance.  If that's fun for you, that's great.  Others wish to try to see how far they can take their feeble resourses and abilities.  Others have a bit more.

To diverge...

Ferrari has never been able to make a car that I can afford.  It's pretty easy to make a handful of cars for a small minority of individuals that have the means.  

Other companies have to focus on developing strategies for making vehicles that really are about transportation.  Affordable, reliable.  

I had a guy that I raced for that had a rich brother.  He had Lambo's...not really very reilable.  And when it broke, it cost more than the car that his brother drove as his daily driver.

If your R&D is focused on cost and mass consumers, it's a bit different when you can actually build a supercar that is competitive in performance with other supercars.  Whether it's done by Daewoo, GM, or Ford...good luck.  There's more money to be made selling Crapaliers, Foci, SUV's, and pick ups.
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

The Mille had one side scraped up because it had been dumped by Monte a few weeks earlier.  I didn't crash it.  Neither did anyone else that weekend.  
I was the first to arrive and the last to leave that weekend.  Don't recall seeing you there, Dan.  H was there, and so was Don Cook.  In fact, I remember asking Monte if you were going to show up, and he said you weren't registered.  BTW, I was a track coach, so in your fantasy, it would have been the reporter in the yellow vest highsiding in front of you, had you actually been there.
Do you really think I'd pit with you?  Not even if you were buying the tires.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

QuoteWe just have tons of fun.  It's always a good time....  :)

Ah, that's nice...

We do to...

K3, no need to talk about being stolen for late nights...

Not sure why you always want to one up everyone, Dan.  It get's a bit boring.
Super Dave

cornercamping

QuoteYour lack of personal experience with the majority of racers is shining through...

A small number of racers will become experts.  A smaller number will actually try to get an AMA Pro license.  A tiny number of those riders that have AMA Pro license actually can call motorcycle racing a "profession".

I think K3, Alexa, and others have many of the same feelings that you have.  But they tried or are trying.  It goes back to what you said..."I do it because I love motorcycles and speed."...very similar.

It's very hard to take someone seriously talking about racing when your racing background is a whole lot smaller than a lot of racers.  

Often, what you do by making some statements is to show a great amount of disrespect for the accomplishments that some have sacrificed a whole lot to do.  

Racing is about doing.  Track days are about attendance.  If that's fun for you, that's great.  Others wish to try to see how far they can take their feeble resourses and abilities.  Others have a bit more.

I'm not trying to disrespect anyones accomplishments, because it was THEY'RE accomplishment, not mine.  Everything comes down to what it means to you.  To me, track days are alot more than just "attendance."  There may not be a checkered flag and a plaque at the end, but it means more than that to me.  To me, I'd rather go out and give it my best for a 30 minute session, than go out for 11 laps and give it my best simply because the trophy doesn't mean anything to me.  Am I racing at a track day? YES.  I'm racing against my lap timer, every lap, and my friends that I talk smack with in the paddock between sessions about who's faster and such.  Does that mean I'm any less of a racer than someone that does it for a plaque?  Nope. Does it mean that I'm better than him/her or that he/she is better than me?  Nope.  It comes down to what your personal goals are what they mean to you.  I have alot of respect for racers, and track day riders.  Why, because they do what they love, and they are trying to accomplish something.  My biggest accomplishment since the first time I ever stepped foot near a race track was not during a race.  It was at a track day.  What did I accomplish?  Passing someone that was faster than me all year.   That put the biggest smile on face ever, and if both of us were in an actual race, neither of us would've finished even close to the top ten. In all reality, we all love the bikes, the speed, and the track.  What it means to each individual is what they are trying to accomplish.   When I show up to the track I have 3 goals:

Have Fun
Have Fun
Go home in the same condition before I started my bike.

That's it.  Race, trackday, practice, it's all the same TO ME.    

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteOthers wish to try to see how far they can take their feeble resourses and abilities.
Thank you Dave.  Coming from you, my respected mentor and teacher, that really means a lot.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

cornercamping

QuoteThe Mille had one side scraped up because it had been dumped by Monte a few weeks earlier.  I didn't crash it.  Neither did anyone else that weekend.  
I was the first to arrive and the last to leave that weekend.  Don't recall seeing you there, Dan.  H was there, and so was Don Cook.  In fact, I remember asking Monte if you were going to show up, and he said you weren't registered.  BTW, I was a track coach, so in your fantasy, it would have been the reporter in the yellow vest highsiding in front of you, had you actually been there.
Do you really think I'd pit with you?  Not even if you were buying the tires.

I was referrring to 2003.  I didn't see a date on your publication... sorry... wait there isn't one.  Ask Monte about the incident.  I'm sure he remembers.

cornercamping

Quote.

Not sure why you always want to one up everyone, Dan.  It get's a bit boring.

I'm not trying to be one up one everyone.  I'm trying to figure out why I get belittled because I'm "Less" of a racer than everyone else because I don't do actual races in the volume of everyone else does.   ???

The_Truth

QuoteTo me, track days are alot more than just "attendance."  There may not be a checkered flag and a plaque at the end, but it means more than that to me.........Am I racing at a track day? YES.  I'm racing against my lap timer, every lap, and my friends that I talk smack with in the paddock between sessions about who's faster and such.  Does that mean I'm any less of a racer than someone that does it for a plaque?  Nope.
BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! You're killing me Dan! I'm dying here! HELP ME!!!! A Track Day Queen talking smack with the pros!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteK3, no need to talk about being stolen for late nights...
Is there a better feeling than stuffing your greasy body into your leathers after an all night thrash, missing the warmup lap, and still getting a podium?
Yes, there is.  Doing the same for a friend.

It's what I live for.

cornercamping

QuoteI was there for that one too and it wasn't K3.  The reporter in that incident was an inept old guy in the beginner class, which is where you must have been if you were right behind him.

Track days are fun.  So is masturbation, but it's not the real thing.

'scuse me, did I use my "out loud"keyboard to say that?? :P

Nope, I was in the intermediate or advanced class... Where's Monte when you need him.  If that's the case, then we've been on the track together   :)  I was the guy on the Mille with the two sided "dil" taped to the back of the bike by Monte  >:(  I still gotta get him back for that one...  ;D
Anyways, I think that guy went out in the intermediate class, cause Monte wouldn't let me go in Novice.  I tried  ;D