News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

White or yellow?

Started by Gixxer124, October 06, 2002, 09:44:12 PM

Thingy

I have to agree here.  Go white.  Experts are safer and cleaner.  This year was my first year as an Expert and I felt alot safer this year than I did last year as an amatuer.  I have never been bumped or run off the track by another expert.  And what they say is true.  You will learn more and become faster if you race expert next year.

Racing as an amatuer was hair raising at times.  Not to rag on amatuers, but we all know what the amatuer middleweight class is like.  Also, last year I was one of the faster amatuers, I went down by hitting a backmarker from the rear when he took an unexpected line.  I know this was my fault since I was overtaking him.  The point is, you won't ned to worry about that if you go expert.

One final note.  Where I race, the school instructor is in the Formula 40 class.  While I am not 40, I have had the opportunity to race with him and nothing was more exciting than when I beat him for the first time this year.  The point is, you will get up to speed in no time to run with the experts.  Just do it.  It is true what they say.  The faster you get, the more in control you are.

-Bill
MW EX #13
Double Bravo Racing

PS - You're next Rosno. :)
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Super Dave

QuoteYou're next Rosno. :)

Yeah, Baby!  Bring it on!  Every year I get a new crop to play with.  Just hope to yourself that my hearing and balance problems are screwing with me that day!!! ;D ;D ;D
Super Dave

Gixxer124

QuoteWhat number?  (No names)...

And where at what track? ???

Not telling who. One was at Blackhawk in a Combined GTU with pretty large grids. Two experts were trying to pass me at the same time. (lap me) The other was at Gateway. Combined GTU, I was being lapped on the outside and didn't give the guy room to make the pass before the next turn.

Super Dave

Ah yes, the combined GTU problem.

That race just shouldn't be combined.

I wish I could say it didn't happen to you, but I can understand that it did.  Not that it is any excuse.

Larry Denning and I ran 15's and 16's at Blackhawk during the whole Team Challenge at Blackhawk, and I think it went very well.  

Unfortunately, I believe that there is not enough information passed from the race control to the "attacking" riders.  Sure, it's $180 for the win, but be gentle.

Regardless, I don't think that race should be combined.  I don't blame you (you were in front), the combining was a mitigating factor, but the passing rider has the responsibility to be safe, period.
Super Dave

Gixxer124

The one at Gateway was partly my fault. It was very late in the race and the lead 2 experts had allready gone around. I was into turn three when the next expert tried passing me on the outside. It was well into the corner when he started the pass. It scared hell out of me. I made a rookie mistake by putting my foot down. :-[ (not a good idea at 60mph) I couldn't lean the bike over very far and ran him off the track. Not before we swapped a little paint. :o He kept his bike up and came back on the track, passing me about a lap later. His side of the story? "I got T-boned by an amateur" :-[

Super Dave

Yeah, racers have pretty big egos.  They'll say what ever suits the moment regardless of the responsibility of the problem.

Passing is an art, as it being passed.  Guess that's always the trick.  And an outside pass is risky around a slower rider.  Generally, the slower rider apexes the corner a bit earlier, and their line will carry them out on a different radius.  The lines converge and...
Super Dave

Gixxer124

I think the main problem was I was going pretty fast into the corner. He should of went to the inside or waited till the next corner. This is one of the reasons I'd like to stay amateur another year. 1 year of experience is not much. Also, I've ridden most of the tracks only once. I'd rather not learn the tracks while trying to keep up with the experts. Later, Kevin

Dawn

QuoteI'd rather not learn the tracks while trying to keep up with the experts. Later, Kevin

Hey Kevin:

You don't have to keep up with the Experts.  They will be more than happy to lap you.  
 ;D

Dawn  

Gixxer124

QuoteHey Kevin:

You don't have to keep up with the Experts.  They will be more than happy to lap you.  
 ;D

Dawn  

LOL. Yeh, them and the fast amateurs. ;D

Baltobuell

While leading an Amature race, I caught the experts and after picking a few off, one stuffs me into turn 1 then can't hold it. Seeing he wasn't turning I couldn't turn, and watched the 2nd place guy stroll by as we rode around the rim of the track. The rest of the race he kept dogging me sticking his wheel in and I never had the chance to repass the winner. It was fun close racing with the guy, but I wish he would have realized what he was doing to my race. To be an expert does not mean your supposed to be infoulable. But please remember the amature that passes you isn't racing you.

Super Dave

That racer ego thing again... 8)
Super Dave

Baltobuell

HOLY MOLY! I just went to the CCS points standings to see how I ended up after seeing a couple of guys I can run with on the top 10 list. Apparently, I don't race enough to get the points to go expert. Here I thought I was going to be a bigshot. Super Dave, 435 points with a 8something performance rating. Looking for advice, or do I even have a choice?