News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

White or yellow?

Started by Gixxer124, October 06, 2002, 09:44:12 PM

Baltobuell

KC, I'll be a 48 year old rookie expert. I'm glad I still have enough to be out there at all. My peers are riding crusiers, AGGGH!

roadracer797

hey Kevin why not just go expert and see how you do because you are a good racer. If all you plan on running is a few races then why not go because you will be at tracks where you already know how to run fast. As for aam. passing you don't worry we love to pass the white plates it makes our day.LOL

Eddie#200

QuoteSo I'm fast at Gateway. I had about a 5th place avg. finish at the rest of the tracks.

Hey Kevin,  Who's that other guy that went faster at those tracks ;D?

Gixxer124

QuoteHey Kevin,  Who's that other guy that went faster at those tracks ;D?

I want a rematch at MAM!  ;D

Gixxer124

QuoteKC, I'll be a 48 year old rookie expert. I'm glad I still have enough to be out there at all. My peers are riding crusiers, AGGGH!

Kick a$$! I hope you have as much fun as I have.

Lowe119

I have the same dilemma about going expert or not.
This was basically my first year also. I did a Sunday in 2001 and wrecked the next time. I made it all year this year without a crash, but didn't win any races, either.
I eventually got a 2nd in Unlimited Supersport, but there was a lot of luck in that finish. A 5th in Heavyweight Supersport is my other good finish and I got a few top tens. I have a bone-stock R6 and felt that I was way over my head for those two finishes.

I raced mountain bikes a few years ago and always jumped classes before I was good enough. I just got frustrated and quit because it was no fun losing. I don't want to finish last in every expert race.... I'm still having fun  :)

The beginning of this year lap times were 1:25 at Blackhawk. I slowly got my lap times down to just below 1:20. I know that won't do anything in expert.  I'm upgrading my shocks and doing the 520 conversion with gearing options (I still don't have the money for pipe and jet).  Do y'all think these upgrades will help me be competitive in expert or do I belong in amateur yet?
btw I ended with around 830 points total
Thanks for any honest advice
Aaron
Midwest Am #119

roadracer797

Kevin and Eddie
Go up and race with the experts and let us slow guys have a chance damn it ;D
Craig

Eddie#200

QuoteI want a rematch at MAM!  ;D

Yeah, that was a fun track!   Bring it on for the rematch...  I want one for Gateway!

Eddie#200

QuoteKevin and Eddie
Go up and race with the experts and let us slow guys have a chance damn it ;D
Craig

Moving to expert is my intention.  I feel better running in the faster practice with the expert level riders.  I ride much faster and have more confidence.  It's too bad amateurs that are fast can't run in the fast practice sessions.

Bernie

Get white plates.  This year was my first as an expert, and I barely had enough points from just one track last year (Summit), but I decided to get white plates anyway.  I was without question the slowest dude in the expert field, and I'm sure many racers got sick of seeing me out there.

BUT, the season was a great experience for me.  I got to focus on my lines and technique without having to dodge anybody else and I was able to learn alot from the faster guys with alot more experience, even if I only saw them for a few seconds as they passed me!

Without exception, the other experts in the MA were great to be on track with.  I never had anybody saw me off or stuff me (I guess I'm easy to pass!).  In the amatuer ranks, things were alot more dicey.

You may not win races for a while, but you will get great quality track time, less crowded track time, alot of opportunities to learn from others, and you probably won't have to worry about anyone else on the track but yourself.  Be consistent and it'll be great.

Gixxer124

Staying yellow at least 1 more year.(If CCS will let me) Remember St. Louis Craig? You were kicking my butt for half the race! Best open class finish this year was 5th in GTU. I was 30-40 seconds behind 4th. Most finishes were in the 14-20th range. I'll move up if I get faster. Later, Kevin

Super Dave

Wow, this is such a wild thread.

Back when I started racing (move rocking chair back and forth) we never wanted to be novices (as we were called then).  We all aspired to be experts.  Now everyone wants to stay amateur.

Why?  Seems as though everyone has this idea that if middleweight amateur is so crazy, then middleweight expert is worse.  

A few years ago, I raced my friend's bike for a season.  He was not an expert.  So, he came to Blackhawk for some kind of a practice day, and I had expert plates on it.  He was pretty intimidated by the fact that he was going to be with the experts.  But what he found was that the expert riders were smooth and fast working their way around him.  It made him more comfortable, and I think he rode better.

You have more opportunities to crash riding with amateurs, those who are supposed to be trying to figure out this road racing thing, vs those who are experts, those who are experienced and understand what to do.

Will you get faster?  Who knows.

I never won a race as an amateur/novice.  What you do as an amateur does not necessarily dictate how you will do as an amateur.  And things change year to year.  I've watched guys come and go, and go and go.
Super Dave