News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

White or yellow?

Started by Gixxer124, October 06, 2002, 09:44:12 PM

sdiver68

OK, here's my deal:

1)  Going expert will cost a lot of $$ in missed race pay-outs and contingencies.  Fact.

2)  This season, I was dogged my first 3 race weekends by second and more year AM's who had plenty of experience.  One of these weekends is a double points weekend.  The other rained and of course as a newbie I hadn't made rain plans.  Also, every track was brand new to me. AND, my bike was stock except for suspension and a slip-on, including gearing :O

By the 4th weekend I had enough figured out to start placing in the wood consistenly and on the podium at my home track.  Problem is, I'm already out of the running points-wise for almost everything.  Also, I skipped around regions since at the beginning of the year I wasn't planning on doing anything but be consistent top 10.

Now, I think I've figured out enough to be competitive an entire season in 1 region.  Get the bike work done and ready, know the tracks a little better, make rain plans (spare set of wheels).  And I know the tracks a little better.

I was cherry picked.  I think every TRUE 1st year guy I know was cherry picked for at least a couple of races, even those with tons of natural talent.

2 "wrongs" don't make a right.  Heck, I don't even know if CCS will let me stay AM.  But if they will, I'm probably staying.

There are 2 things CCS could do to make this a little easier, imho:

1)  Skewer the money and contingencies a lot more to expert.  I posted an idea on that in CCS Rules and Regs.  To your point, SD, make it more like it used to be where most of the $ is in Expert.
2) Quit making exceptions to where 2nd (and more) year guys can dominate the first few races.  Problem is, the 1st year they enforce that is the year some people come out behind, like if they decided this year was the year, I'd be SOL.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

You've got good points.

Contingency is set by the companies offering them.  They want to get a rider hooked on a product early on in their amateur career because motorcycle road racers are very conservative.  They might stick with the same thing they start with for their whole career.  That equals $ to them.

CCS is offering purses to keep people coming back.  In many ways I understand and agree with what you're saying.

As for cherry picking...

It happens a lot.

At the last Blackhawk, we put Benji Thorton on the track.  He came to my school on the Thursday before.  We told him what suspension work to do before coming to the track and even what gearing to run.  He got a third and ran up in the top five at BHF running 1;18's I know, but probably faster at times when he got out of traffic (no pre reg for him as he just got his license.)

Many people that enter racing enter in the wrong way.  Take a simple CCS safety school, ride a stock bike with a pipe.  There are better ways to do it.  And better experiences to be had doing simple things.

Trial and error is always available, but I can just make it easier.
Super Dave

Gixxer124

QuoteBack when I started racing (move rocking chair back and forth) we never wanted to be novices (as we were called then).  We all aspired to be experts.  Now everyone wants to stay amateur.

I'm 41, I just started racing and I'm going about as fast as I care to go. I have nothing to prove by putting on a white plate. (Look at me, I'm an slow old fart with white plates. Please don't run over me. ;D) If I start winning in the open age classes, I'll go expert immediately. If not and I'm still around in 2004, I'll go expert anyways. How's that? Or.... I'll tell everybody I'm staying amatuer, and show up at the first race with white plates on. Right Doofy? ;D

Baltobuell

I'll clue you in, if you can win f40 you will at least be compettitive in other classes. If you've got the points, go up. I'll be spanked, but why get wood in the minors when you've been called up to the major league. What will be the reward? OK, I understand guys that haven't gotten any wall hangings, (a bunch of 6ths and it would be tough to move on) but after you've proven you can get them, it's time to go.
 Hey Bernie! I'll bet you were having a good time during that sniper thing. Did the FBI move in with you? Get in touch, dougb123@att.net

stillslow

I am not sure but I don't think you have a choice. What say you CCS?

Gixxer124

I'm supposed to move up because I won the F40 championship. I can appeal to CCS to stay amatuer. As far as moving up because of points, I don't know. I have about 1100 total points. 800 or so are from F40. These don't count toward the overall championship, so I don't know if they count them towards being expert.
          Baltobuell, I want to stay amatuer because I finish mid pack in all other am. classes. Concerning F40, here's my finishes; 4-1st, 2-3rd, 1-4th, 2-5th, 1-6th, 2-7th, 1-9th. Two of these are last place finishes. With small grids, this is not what I would call dominating. ;D

Baltobuell

When doing well, do you catch and pass slower experts? They do get a pretty big head start and they are supposed to be faster than you. I'm riding a lightweight bike and understand the 600s are a much more intense group. So there may be other folks with a better overall picture. At least you've got to win a few. There are alot of experts that haven't had that experience. I'm one, but we are doing this for sport and it isn't sporting to cherrypick the amature class. Have a little faith in yourself. Will it still be fun if you don't win? It has to be a rush, and it's why we grid up in the first place, but I still get a rush off of track days. Really, meeting people is as important as passing them. At least I think, I'll let you know for sure about midseason!  Think of it this way. You'll be able to concentrate on faster lines and how your suspension is working, instead of who is reeling you in to get your wood. I'll admit change is unnerving, but without it, we are stagnent ol' farts.

Gixxer124

I don't think I've passed any experts in the open combined events. None that I can remember. I have had the crap scared out of me a few times being lapped by them. :o :o

oh344ccs

What are the rules for going ex.  as far as, how many points must you score to be eligible?  I only raced 4 times this year 3 ccs, 1 ama.  I never got worse than sixth, but that's my total race experience.  I have next to no points and won't be looked at as far as being bumped.  I haven't seen most of the tracks, but if I can't afford to race for a championship next year as an am, I would rather go ex. so I could try to race the fast guys. Can any expert enter an AMA pro race?, I really want to race at Mid-Ohio this year.  

KC go expert, there's no need to defend an am championship.

Gixxer124

Not going for the championship next year. Only racing close to home. Next. ;)

Eddie#200

Kevin,

Sounds like you made your decision.  Stand by it and don't let anyone sway you.  It sounds like you are very sure of what level you want to run next year.  Sounds very cool to me.  Too bad though... no re-match! ;D

Gixxer124

Thanks. Rematch? I don't know Eddie. I'm pretty good off the line. If you get a slow start..........  ;D
Later, Kevin