News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Married?  I need help.  Quick....

Started by cornercamping, April 30, 2004, 06:51:47 AM

madanalyst

QuoteLOL... nah, she doesn't care if I race as long as it's after the wedding.  She just doesn't want me near the track before the wedding.    :-/  I tried telling her that I would go "as slow as possible"  ::) , but that didn't cut it either.  She's got her mom and sister on her side, so I'm kinda fighting a lost battle unless I can come up with a hell of a idea or excuse... thus... I'm asking you guys, the experts  ;D

suck it up and stay off the track.  I recently went through the same thing and quickly learned the wedding is asimportant, to her, as the track is to you.  When i was in your shoes, i couldn't live with myself in the event i got hurt on the track and screwed up the one day my wife had been looking forward to for so long.  Your giving up less than a few months track time.  the bigger issue is you ought to be thinking about is the jail time that comes afterward.  Kidding.  Stay off the track and I'm sure the wife will make it up to you by allowing you to catch up on the rush after the fact.  

cornercamping

Unfortunately, I am personally paying for the whole wedding.  There are 550 people invited, and we are having it at one of the "best" places to have a wedding in Detroit.  It's right on the water, at a historical night club type (www.roostertail.com) deal from back in the 50's.  Not sure what it really was, but she found the place she wanted to have the wedding in a bridal magazine.  Her dad has brain cancer, so her parents are broke paying medical bills even though he's retired military.  The gov. only covers some of the stuff I guess.  Regardless, since I asked her, she's been the "princess" of Detroit.  I figure what the hell, you only get married once, or so I hope, and I decided to give her the dream wedding that all women want.   I will be broke for a long time trying to come back from the wedding, and hopefully everyone that shows up throws a couple Ben Franklin's in the envelope so I can break even.  To give you an idea, 112 Set's of Michelin S2/M2 tires is what this is going to cost me when it's all said and done.  Her mom paid for the entire wedding shower which was yesterday.  The only thing that sucks is that for what this wedding is costing me, I could've bought a Petronas FP1  ::) and still had enough money for tires, gas, and hotel rooms for the enitre season.  Oh well, you only get married once right  ::)  Something happens and we ever get divorced, I'm taking her engagement ring and buying that Petronas  :P  But, since she's so worried about me getting hurt, and threatening to slice the Michelin's in the garage with a steak knife, I've decided that I'll give her what she wants, not that I really had a choice  ::)  After the wedding, she doesn't care.  That is understood by both, and I know she won't give me any headaches about it.  Last April we had a daughter, and she started the "college fund, no more racing, no more smoking (cigs.)" routine because of the new baby.  Well, here's where that got her:

As you can see, I won that argument  ;) ;D  That was last year in May @ Grattan.  That bike was my love.  2002 Ducati 748S.   I spent all the money I had on it tricking it out.  Well, 3 days after that picture was taken, I sold it, gave the wifey $4K to buy baby crap, and I bought a used R6.  So, she was happy, and I kept racing.  It'll be no different.  

By the way, anyone know who that lady is in the backround  ???  I always see her at the races, but have no idea who it is  ???

MudDawg

Face it...the man is done fer.  I told my wife....afetr the race season.  And it was.  Now a SMART man would have negotiated the time from the race season until the wedding.  Never said I was smart.

I came back from Daytona (Left late Sunday night....drove through the night....got home Monday evening.)  The wedding was that Friday.  No stress....really.  NOT!!!!

cornercamping

Well, I didn't think it was going to be a problem until I told her I was going to RA to race "this weekend" and she flipped out. That's when I posted this thread in a panic  ;D

Dawn

QuoteWell, I didn't think it was going to be a problem until I told her I was going to RA to race "this weekend" and she flipped out. That's when I posted this thread in a panic  ;D

Ummm.....

RA was April 23rd to the 25th, you started this thread on the 30th.  Blackhawk isn't until this weekend (May 8th & 9th)   ???

Dawn   ;)

cornercamping

QuoteUmmm.....

RA was April 23rd to the 25th, you started this thread on the 30th. ÊBlackhawk isn't until this weekend (May 8th & 9th) Ê ???

Dawn Ê ;)

Actually, I'm mistaken.  It was the STT Grattan track day that caused this.  I missed RA because I didn't have bodywork  >:( :'(

2Bfast

Well said.  ;) No wonder you've been married for 18 years.  ::)

QuoteCongrats.  I hope you have many happy years together.  I'm on year 18 and I got lucky too.  

I was short in my prior response, but too many men blame their wives for denying them things that they want to do.  IMHO, I think that just makes them weak and, in many cases, is insulting and unfair to their wives.

Compromise is fine.  Respect is essential.  I respect my wife's opinions as much, if not more than my own. We each have our strengths and weaknesses and, yes, we get on each other's nerves sometimes.
Life's too complicated to say how two people get along best. All I know is that she knows what's important to me and she knows that I wouldn't enjoy life as much if I couldn't pursue it.  Whether it's motorcycles or snowmobiles or golf or hunting or tiddly winks or whatever, for her to deny me life's adventures would be asking me to give up part of who I am.

She's a great gal because she never asks me to do that.  And I'd never deny her the things that give her joy. In fact, I work hard to provide them as best I can.  Of course, she's a woman and changes them often to keep me guessing....oops, there I go again.

I'm up too late. Peace.

03R6-Rider

QuoteThat bike was my love.  2002 Ducati 748S.   I spent all the money I had on it tricking it out.  Well, 3 days after that picture was taken, I sold it, gave the wifey $4K to buy baby crap, and I bought a used R6.  So, she was happy, and I kept racing.

A 2002 748 with a gold frame and three-spoke wheels?  I thought you were a novice, why the white plates, street tires and no numbers?  You sandbaggin', Corner?

cornercamping

QuoteA 2002 748 with a gold frame and three-spoke wheels? I thought you were a novice, why the white plates, street tires and no numbers? You sandbaggin', Corner?

It was the last of the "old chassis" bikes (gold w/brembo wheels, not marchesini). Came from AU originally. It was a "real" euro model. The wheels I put on it. I had them powder coated and exact match to Ducati Yelllow. Wanna talk about hard to do. 3 tries to match the color to the exact Ducati yellow. White plates, street tires, and no numbers ::) Sandbagging :o NO ;D  That was my track bodywork on the bike. I bought that bodywork used. It was at a track day, thus no numbers.

03R6-Rider

QuoteThat was my track bodywork on the bike. I bought that bodywork used. It was at a track day, thus no numbers.

I must be missing something, you track bodywork has white plates, does that mean your street bodywork has yellow plates?   :-/  Why didn't you just run your race bodywork?  Seems weird to take off the race bodywork for a trackday?

cornercamping

My street bodywork was painted carbon fiber.  So, instead of trashing the carbon, I bought some regular OEM fairings on ebay.  Then, my race fairings weren't done yet, so I just used the ones from ebay.  Here's another pic.  Those aren't really number plates.  The tail one's are, but the front, if you look good at this pic, you'll see are white duct tape over the light holes. Notice, no bellypan (fluid retention).  They were regualr OEM used Ducati fairings.  I was posing 8)