News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Is Pridmore really a privateer?

Started by motomadness, July 29, 2003, 07:51:48 PM

tcchin

QuoteErion Honda is basically a factory team, they just put there B-level riders on the squad.  Other than that the bikes are identical.  I think I even recall a bodywork swap on one of the bikes during one race weekend.

Actually, the Erion and Bruce bikes are quite a bit different from the Factory Honda, No Limit and Annandale bikes. For example, in 2002, the Erion and Bruce bikes used Ohlins fork internals instead of modified stock internals on their 600SS bikes, whereas Honda used modified stock Showa internals. Also, the Erion and Bruce bikes used Ohlins shocks instead of Showa shocks. This is partly because Honda has Showa factory support and partly becuase Ray just would rather not risk a penalty or fine for a rules infraction.

And yes, I think that the problem with the oil pump bypass springs at Colorado this year was just an honest pre-production mistake.

Super Dave

QuoteAnd yes, I think that the problem with the oil pump bypass springs at Colorado this year was just an honest pre-production mistake.

Really?  We were playing with the bypass springs over ten years ago.  I think they just got caught, plain and simple.

Regardless, those teams have HONDA'S production race bike information that the rest of us don't have ready access to.  The chassis is the key, the motor is only kind of a bonus.  If it's in the ball park, it's ok.  How about access to testing?  When I had a Team Green ride, I was invited to a test with the factory team at Willow (was the wrong weekend and it was about 2400 miles from my shop/home...

Those are the kinds of things that privateer teams don't have access to.

Shawn Higbee was at Blackhawk a couple of weekends ago on an ugly RC51.  It was something to ride for him.  Higbee is not on a factory team (anymore...FBF...)
Super Dave

G 97

QuoteActually, the Erion and Bruce bikes are quite a bit different from the Factory Honda, No Limit and Annandale bikes. For example, in 2002, the Erion and Bruce bikes used Ohlins fork internals instead of modified stock internals on their 600SS bikes, whereas Honda used modified stock Showa internals. Also, the Erion and Bruce bikes used Ohlins shocks instead of Showa shocks. This is partly because Honda has Showa factory support and partly becuase Ray just would rather not risk a penalty or fine for a rules infraction.

And yes, I think that the problem with the oil pump bypass springs at Colorado this year was just an honest pre-production mistake.

Hmmm... I seem to remember that on more than one occasion last year the "official factory" team borrowing and using Ohlins suspension components from the Erion squad.  Split hairs if you must but one thing is for sure.  The Erion team is every bit as much a full factory team as the "official" team is.  Dosn't Honda own a controlling share in Showa.

G

SliderPhoto

QuoteShawn Higbee was at Blackhawk a couple of weekends ago on an ugly RC51.

Hey now!  ;D  That was his street bike. :)

tigerblade

QuoteHey now!  ;D  That was his street bike. :)

There's no such thing as an ugly RC51!   ;D

Okay, so mine could use some brighter paint...   :P
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Dawn

QuoteOkay, so mine could use some brighter paint...   :P

LOL!!!

Paul was saying that he should paint his bike just like yours.....  I shot him a look and he just started to laugh.

Just to be on the safe side though.....  I went out at bought the paint.

Dawn   8)

tigerblade

QuotePaul was saying that he should paint his bike just like yours.....  I shot him a look and he just started to laugh.

Dawn   8)

The "stealth" look is "in" this year.  The rest of you Midwesterners just aren't in touch with my up-to-the-minute style.   8)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

KBOlsen

CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

tcchin

QuoteReally?  We were playing with the bypass springs over ten years ago.  I think they just got caught, plain and simple.

Regardless, those teams have HONDA'S production race bike information that the rest of us don't have ready access to.  The chassis is the key, the motor is only kind of a bonus.

As you said, the chassis is key - that's why I doubt that the factory Honda boys would risk fines and penalties for an insignificant performance advantage. Are you still playing with bypass springs to this day, or have you given up on them? In my case, I achieved better results through careful clearance selection than I ever achieved through lightening the oil bypass spring.

QuoteHmmm... I seem to remember that on more than one occasion last year the "official factory" team borrowing and using Ohlins suspension components from the Erion squad.  Split hairs if you must but one thing is for sure.  The Erion team is every bit as much a full factory team as the "official" team is.

Which factory Honda bike/rider was using Ohlins parts from Erion? I would think that swapping component brands in the middle of a race weekend would make it exceptionally difficult to find a setup, after all of the testing that went into developing a setup around the old components.

As for splitting hairs, I don't think I ever claimed that Erion was suffering from a technical disadvantage because of a lack of factory support. All I said was that the Erion bikes are significantly different from the factory Honda bikes, and cited an example. If you think that's splitting hairs, then I'd gladly trade my Showa shock for that pretty, gold-anodized Ohlins of yours and we'll call it even. <g>

Super Dave

QuoteAs you said, the chassis is key - that's why I doubt that the factory Honda boys would risk fines and penalties for an insignificant performance advantage. Are you still playing with bypass springs to this day, or have you given up on them? In my case, I achieved better results through careful clearance selection than I ever achieved through lightening the oil bypass spring.

I don't.  I didn't really then myself...engine builder did.  Don't chase AMA stuff anymore...I consult.  My motor was done by 4&6 this year, they did it to their specs...I can't tell one way or another, but it does go well with Power Mist Fuel and their work.

We did all of the other things too.  Other tricks, anything we could think up.

As for fines and risk...

The factory teams have been running quick shifters on their Supersport bikes before the rules allowed them...

HRC black boxes were being used in the early 90's...

We could go on, but the AMA is funded by whom?  The manufacturers...when the rules need to be bent, they bend for the manufacturers...
Super Dave

unforgivenracing

I would'nt call him factory, although I bet some of them give him a lot of breaks.  He's like a franchise.  Hes got the money and the resources to get what he wants, and can write it off as an expence come preseason.
QuoteHas anyone else seen what Pridmore has under his  tank and fairing?  His Attack Suzuki and his crew are just as serious and as organized as any other team in the paddock.  If he's not factory, he's definitely the next best thing.
CCS Midwest EX 501(RETIRED) E-mails welcome @: unforgivenracing@hotmail.com or, IM and e-mail me @: unforgiven_racing@yahoo.com also,
Check out pic's @: http://www.facebook.com/wolff.shawn

G 97

QuoteWhich factory Honda bike/rider was using Ohlins parts from Erion? I would think that swapping component brands in the middle of a race weekend would make it exceptionally difficult to find a setup, after all of the testing that went into developing a setup around the old components.

As for splitting hairs, I don't think I ever claimed that Erion was suffering from a technical disadvantage because of a lack of factory support. All I said was that the Erion bikes are significantly different from the factory Honda bikes, and cited an example. If you think that's splitting hairs, then I'd gladly trade my Showa shock for that pretty, gold-anodized Ohlins of yours and we'll call it even. <g>

Duhamel and Hayden both.  Why would it be exceptionally hard to find a set up?  Since the Erion team was using them - a simple transfer of set up information etc and the "official Honda" team is well on it's way towards being where they need to be for the weekend.  Difficult or not the fact is that it happened.  
I don't think I ever claimed that you claimed that Erion was suffering from technical disadvantages.

Erion bikes SIGNIFICANTLY different than the "official Honda" RC51's.  ::) No way.  Tell me why then that Bostrom Duhamel And Roberts all share set up advice etc and have an open book for each to see.  Also, the Showa components they use are not even remotely close to what any of us can obtain and are every bit as expensive as the Ohlins stuff.  The fact remains that Erion is every bit as much a full factory team as the "official" team is.
G