News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Is Pridmore really a privateer?

Started by motomadness, July 29, 2003, 07:51:48 PM

motomadness

Has anyone else seen what Pridmore has under his  tank and fairing?  His Attack Suzuki and his crew are just as serious and as organized as any other team in the paddock.  If he's not factory, he's definitely the next best thing.

Team_nuclear123

He's  on an"A" support bike, like Erion racing is a privateer. Full works forks, frame, swingarm, wheels, etc. He's doing a great job and with 220 ish RWHP, hes a great rider.

FIrst superbike podiums, way to go, I remember being in victory ciurcle with him back when he got his first Daytona win in 750SS, Got a great pic of me, him and Suzi... YEARS ago...

Steviebee

they call it  "Semi-Factory Ride"

They get parts and stuff from Yosh/Suzuki  but they(Attack)  have to put it all together, Tune it and Make the Setup work for him.

I dont think they have anyone from suzuki setting up thier bikes like the Yosh guys.

If you've ever taken one of his race schools and been on the back of his 750 Kanata with him, you will be humbled.

MightyDuc Racing

I think the AMA would do much better if there were 15-20 teams like Attack with factory support and their own mechanics/tuners than they currently do with a few factory riders.  I hate to compare, but look at NASCRAP.  More people are likely to come out and watch if any one of 15 or 20 riders have a chance to win instead of maybe 4-6 having a legitimate chance.  I think that's part of NASCRAP's draw, any number of 35-43 drivers can win each week, and that gives fans a lot more people to pick from when selecting a favorite, etc.  It also opens up a huge segment in the collectibles market.  Just my .02.
MightyDuc Racing
CCS AM #944 - Florida Region
Ducati 944 Superbike
www.mightyducracing.com
www.cycletires.com
Sponsors:
Tomahawk Tires, Dunlop, AGV, Superbikes & Ski, SW Medical Supply, BCM

motomadness

I guess my gripe was that SPEED was continuous calling Pridmore a privateer, and praise his success as a privateer.  When in reality he is not a true privateer like Jeffery Purk, Monte Nichols, JJ Roetling, Scott Jensen, or even Geoff May for that matter.  Those guys are the true privateers.

StumpysWife

Are the Erion Honda riders privateers or are they factory supported?  

I agree, Pridmore is a pretty glossy version of a privateer.  I think he's a great rider and am very happy for his success in Superbike.  But does he earn a salary from "Attack Suzuki"?  

What is the definition of privateer - non-factory riders or riders who aren't earning a salary on top of their winnings.  I am asking this because I truely am curious as I was somewhat offended by Speed's constants touting of Pridmore as a privateer.  

Thanks for your input, in advance!

Heather
Wifeateer of Stumpateer  

tigerblade

I wouldn't consider Pridmore a true "privateer".  I'd be tempted to call Attack a satellite team.  Not full factory, but not exactly scraping up $$$ for tires each weekend either.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

motomadness

Erion Honda is basically a factory team, they just put there B-level riders on the squad.  Other than that the bikes are identical.  I think I even recall a bodywork swap on one of the bikes during one race weekend.

I think all of the top riders in the AMA are getting paid in some way or another.  At least the top 6-8 are, and I am sure most of the top 12 are not struggling to pay for races, unless the team in general is having problems.  I think below the top 12-15 you're looking at the true privateers = those guys that must perform or there's no more racing until enough money can be scraped together to headout to the races.  Still the same there are some true privateers that flat out refuse to spend all of their own money to race, they hold out for the best opportunities.

tigerblade

QuoteErion Honda is basically a factory team...  I think I even recall a bodywork swap on one of the bikes during one race weekend.

I'm pretty sure Miguel and Kurtis shared a backup bike last year.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Team_nuclear123

Erion is a semi factory team, they recieve parts and money from Honda, and share some people. Kurtis is ona  full factory bike, but out of his own deal. Erion is sorta a development team for Honda, as is Bruce Transportation. Its the ladder to a factory Honda ride.

Attack is a semi factory team in that they recive money and support from Suzuki, much as Erion does. Jason is a  very talented rider, and hauls ass, bu tis not anywhere near a privateer. That is basically a full works superbike, without the works frame. They must use a production based frame for FX.

Jason is a paid rider, and I think there are close to 20 paid rides in Superbike, more in 600 and FX.

I hope jason does very well next year, but I dont think you will see the suzuki dominate like it does with a 20-30 hp advantge like it currently enjoys.

Super Dave

Attack and Corona receive direct support from Suzuki.  The Yosh guys work with my friend Rich Doan, and they have to tune bikes too.  

Dale Quarterley was a privateer.  Dale won the AMA National Superbike race at Mid-Ohio in 1993.  When it was all over, HE loaded up the bike, greased the trailer ball, drove home, and began working on his bike.  

Jason IS a good guy.  So is Josh for that matter.

But the Attack, Valvoline, Corona, Bruce and Erion teams have special things for their programs that come from the manufacturers.  They are a school house for the potential up and comers.  Are they the "factory teams", no.  But to call them privateer teams?  Leave that for Higbee, May, and the rest of the guys below.

Does Pridmore get a salary?  I'd bet that it's $80k to $120k total in one way or another for him...might include endorcents, etc., whatever.

Will, you heard anything about the new bikes from H,K, or Y?
Super Dave

Thingy

I have heard new bikes for ...
Suzuki: 600, 750
Kawasaki: 1000
Yamaha: 1000
Not sure about Honda...
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!