Is Pridmore really a privateer?

Started by motomadness, July 29, 2003, 07:51:48 PM

Team_nuclear123

Kris,

I am good friends with Mr's Ko and Pegram, and trust me they were as privateer as it gets. MUCH more so than Pridmore ever would be, and on Michelins to boot. 80% of that budget dired up after FOntana, and the remainder fo the season was run out fo Mr. Kos pocket.

Try 2 tech's for one rider, vs 10 or more. How about NO enegine management. No Special parts, hell, when they finished on the podium, the bike was held together with Duct tape, as they didnt have fairings left to stick on the bike.

In MY opinion, the ONLY privateer podium in years was Pegram.

tigerblade

I was just providing the link.  Read that today and remembered this thread.   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Photo_Chick

QuoteNew definition of privateer:
- one who is broke and has to race on credit or at least place well week-in and week-out just to keep coming to the track.
- one who has an annual budget  under $125,000
- one who takes of a paddock space of no more than 600 sqft, trailer and truck included
- one who has no more than 4 people on the team or assisting him/her at one time
- one who has an A bike, and a B bike that's just for parts
- one who doesn't have Ohlins and Showa coming to your pit to make all of your suspension adjustments for you
- one who gets engine parts by begging, borrowing or using the old stand-by credit cards

And one who doesn't get a paycheck from someone to ride, they depend on what they win to get them to the next track.  I know several that would qualify for this and one placed 9th in the superbike (he was actually tied for 8th last year in points...)

clutch

How much would one say it costs a "true" privateer to race, paying out of his/her own pocket say just one SS race at Road Atlanta?  Tires (to be competative), Entry Fees (What are they in AMA?--surely they cant be $70, $50, $35..lol)  I have always wondered this and imagine that a tire bill could get QUITE BIG.

Photo_Chick

You have to add the tires, the fuel, the entry fees, the lodging (if trailer not available), meals, water, etc.  Oh and if you crash during practice or qualifying, all the parts needed to get going again.  Depending on where the rider lives is also a big point.  If they live on the east coast and a lot of the races are out here, it's not bad.  There's a few on the west coast that can kill a privateer in gas and trying to get the bikes out there etc....

clutch

I know about the gas but was more interested in say the tire bill and cost of entry fees for privateers in AMA SS or Superbike, or even FX

Photo_Chick

Rough estimate of AMA week-end cost:  Entry fees are about $220,  Practice day runs around $200, tires for SS and SB races run about $1,500, fuel is about $300 - Total $2,220 before lodging, food, survival...This estimate does not include crashing out your bike and having to replace bike and/or pieces....

clutch

How do the privateers do it?  Geez that is a lot compared to my meesly CCS entry fees.  I wish AMA would level the field a little.  I hear them factory and factory support boys get about a 40+ HP advantage.  You really only see the same guys win week after week.  Would make it more interesting..but I guess some of the top guys were once privateers.

motomadness

Clutch,

There's a reason why most privateers run a Suzuki, and why the Superbike grids are the largest.  Currently,  I believe Suzuki pays back to 15th place and the SBK purse pays back to 35th.  If you are lucky enough to get 15th place in SBK, you can make upwards of several thousand dollars.  Add-in FX money and possible Superstock money for the same bike and you can definitely support yourself, at least to get to the next round.

clutch

Ahhh..ok.  Now I know why they do that..makes sense to go where the money is and hell, Suzuki isnt that bad of a machine :)