It's time to suck it up and buy our own transponders in 2012

Started by Greeny, June 02, 2011, 10:35:28 AM

banzai1

TAlber8

Am I missing something? Is the current system about to fail?  Will CCS need to make a large investment to keep the current system up?  There's some 375 racers in the Atlantic region... is it reasonable to say that across the US, some 700 CCS racers would need to purchase transponders?.  As a whole, do we NEED to make a $300k investment into this?  Doesn't seem like everyone has a big fat racing budgets lately...

I'm definitely one who started racing CCS over WERA as a transponder tipped the scales.  If I had one, I would consider doing WERA races that fit better in my schedule then out of conference CCS races that were tough to make. 

Its not that I'm being cheap, it just seems like the wrong time with the economy.  I know 2 CCS racers who are cutting out race weekends due to budget.

kawtipping

Quote from: TAlber8 on July 11, 2011, 07:01:36 PM
Am I missing something? Is the current system about to fail?  Will CCS need to make a large investment to keep the current system up?  There's some 375 racers in the Atlantic region... is it reasonable to say that across the US, some 700 CCS racers would need to purchase transponders?.  As a whole, do we NEED to make a $300k investment into this?  Doesn't seem like everyone has a big fat racing budgets lately...

I'm definitely one who started racing CCS over WERA as a transponder tipped the scales.  If I had one, I would consider doing WERA races that fit better in my schedule then out of conference CCS races that were tough to make. 

Its not that I'm being cheap, it just seems like the wrong time with the economy.  I know 2 CCS racers who are cutting out race weekends due to budget.
Yep, you missed the thread from before the start of this season.  The transponders are getting to the end of their life cycle, and if I remember correctly they are leased and the lease is about up.  So either CCS shells out lots of money it doesn't have to update the current system or they go the AMB route where we would all have to buy (or rent) our own transponders.  In the end it truly becomes a wash unless you only run a race or two and hang up your helmet.
Moto Union - Ducati & MV Agusta of Milwaukee

Who wants a pasta ride?

TAlber8

I did miss that, kinda sheds a new light on the argument

TrophyGal

I agree with what Eric Kelcher said in another thread:

"There are some transponders/transmitters in pipeline that use existing track loops that have lower cost than AMB. With the life of both the original Westhold transmitters and AMB transponders reaching their end of useful life I would wait on word from Kevin before rushing out to purchase a personal unit."

Fast Eddy

Quote from: TrophyGal on July 20, 2011, 09:07:51 AM
I agree with what Eric Kelcher said in another thread:

"There are some transponders/transmitters in pipeline that use existing track loops that have lower cost than AMB. With the life of both the original Westhold transmitters and AMB transponders reaching their end of useful life I would wait on word from Kevin before rushing out to purchase a personal unit."
Good to hear options are in the pipeline.
Ed (AKA Dirt nap) CCS #102
http://www.southeastsales.com/
The liver is evil and must be punished!
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

gixxer188

The latest CCS Newsletter says...

After much debate, the Fort Worth office has decided to go with the
new Westhold “Activated” personal transponders for 2012. This will
require all riders who participate in events promoted out of the Fort
Worth Office and CCS Florida to purchase their own Westhold personal
transponder or rent a unit for the event.

So does this mean just people in Florida and Texas?
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion

Burt Munro

I took it to mean that the new transponders will be used for the races where you send your entry into CCS ....  not the affiliates like Loudon and the SW Region.  The exception on the affiliate is the Florida Region. 

So that would mean the new transponders will be used in the Midwest, Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, Southeast and Daytona.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

SVbadguy

http://www.westhold.com/products_timing.html 

Activated (Blue) - A cost effective unit meant for motorcycles, karts and quarter midgets. No charging necessary. Permanent internal battery (battery life 3 years depending on usage. Non-use shelf life up to 9 years). ($80 retail)*

* Prices only for transponder. Does not included charger or holders. Please contact us for quantity (10 pieces or more) pricing and package pricing. (Click here to request pricing information)
Mid-Atlantic Region 
MARRC Exec Committee at-large & Radio Committee Chair

gixxer188

You can find the price breakdown here
http://www.westhold.com/docs/docstemp.html
http://www.westhold.com/docs/PriceList.pdf

Quantity Price
1-9 $80.00
10-49 $75.00
50-99 $65.00
100+ $60.00
Activator** $350.00

If anyone wants to get a group buy going I'm in.
MadisonSBK.com Online Store
MadisonSBK Racing - Owner/Racer
2012 CCS Midwest Regional Formula 40 Champion
2012 Blackhawk Farms Raceway Formula 40 Track Champion

twist-throttle

Maybe I'm alone on this... but the way that I read the Click Here for your advanced copy of the License Renewal Mailer, I don't think that me in the MidWest will need to buy a Transponder. Well shit, I don't know... I'd like to hear an official word on this before I go & buy one... as it seems to be up to speculation at this point.
Team MSB Racing
Sponsors: MadWraps, MadisonSBK.com, Dainese D-Store Chicago, Charter
CCS MW amateur #608

Burt Munro

Quote from: twist-throttle on December 09, 2011, 11:26:31 PM
Maybe I'm alone on this... but the way that I read the Click Here for your advanced copy of the License Renewal Mailer, I don't think that me in the MidWest will need to buy a Transponder. Well shit, I don't know... I'd like to hear an official word on this before I go & buy one... as it seems to be up to speculation at this point.
No, you don't need to buy a transponder.  But, if you don't you will have to rent one for $25 per race weekend.  The key here is that the races in the Midwest Region are promoted out of the Ft Worth office, i.e., that's where you send your entries to.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!