News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

It's time to suck it up and buy our own transponders in 2012

Started by Greeny, June 02, 2011, 10:35:28 AM

mikendzel

Also Greeny, you mentioned earning sponsors in your original post.  I truly think that something along the lines of more in depth coverage in RRW, and on our own CCS website would go WAY farther towards gaining sponsorship than a lap time website.  If CCS covered its own racing, and added rider profiles in their current website, the traffic would increase tremendously; thus your racing would provide greater advertising coverage and benefit to sponsors.

Greeny

i don't disagree with that, but honestly, buying our own transponders and guiding potential sponsors to a profile page on mylaps (or whatever system we decide to use) is probably more likely. 

vnvbandit

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on June 07, 2011, 05:43:58 PM
Personal thoughts only
Scoring equipment is a function of race organization, a minimal expense <$100 for a rider to spend for personalization of laptimes I can see as reasonable.

Sounds good! Buy in bulk. It's cheaper that way!
~Brian
CCS FL 68
ASRA 68
Thanks
Nancy&Patrick

Super Dave

Quote from: mikendzel on June 06, 2011, 10:33:05 AM
And so far as the RFID systems, seriously, how many races have even one finishing position that is too close to call?  Even then, transponder placement could determine the outcome over who actually crossed the line first.  I think it's truly a moot point.  We have manual scorers anyway.
Amazingly, I was in a CCS race where the manual scorers couldn't call it.  And the race director had to use our transponders to make a final determination, after looking at our locations. 

At one time, we had timed qualifying even for ULGP.  But, that's the way it is...

I'll echo the last comment...the current CCS system is old and dying...
Super Dave

Burt Munro

Looks like LRRS has been trying out some rfid timing since last year.  I don't know anything about the Zoomius system they were using other there is a motorcycle race guy involved in the company.  Looks like they may have only been using 1 antenna which could be the source of some of the problems they encountered.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/pit-area/55779-lrrs-zoomius.html

The local St. Louis company (Innovative Timing Systems) uses multiple antenna.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

TStinson

I think requiring transponders to be purchased would be a bad business decision for CCS.  I agree with the previous poster that it is an attractive feature versus WERA for trying to bring new racers into the fold.  That and the slightly less stringent tech requirements swayed my decision to race with CCS three years ago.  I think the recent Summit point grid numbers CCS versus WERA bear that out.  I would also credit CCS for embracing NJMP as a boost to the attractiveness of CCS versus WERA.  Good job on that for sure.
Todd Stinson

roadracer162

Quote from: Super Dave on June 10, 2011, 03:31:31 PM
Amazingly, I was in a CCS race where the manual scorers couldn't call it.  And the race director had to use our transponders to make a final determination, after looking at our locations. 

Ironically the AMA didnt use the transponder/timing but instead reverted back to the photo to determine the outcome.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

PlayHard

Quote from: MELK-MAN on June 06, 2011, 05:44:23 PM
I understand what your saying, but having been around racers and track riders alike.. the question of "how much is a transponder" never comes up. Now tell them you don't have to buy one now, but may have to spend $400 later and sure, they are gonna be like "say what??" BUT.. once the friends go racing, or a track day guy wants to test themselves against more than just the "fast" group on a track day.. They understand lots of money is gonna get spent to go racing. NOW, if this is a rider that says "yea, i would like to do ONE race weekend" just to say they did it, then $400 is a VIABLE reason to not race. BUT, riders would be able to rent a transponder for a reduced fee vs. payin $400 to own.

The cost/value argument will go on for as long as there are alternatives to getting a bike on track (race or just do track days). It is a serious outlay of money to get a bike on the track, and if a rider is on the fence about racing due to the cost of a transponder.. they are searching for an excuse to NOT RACE. Not a bad thing, but perhaps they don't want to be ridiculed by buddies for beeing "skeeered" .. so they say "pffffffffffffffffttt - $400 transponder, that does it.. no way"
See what i mean? You know what it takes to race from a dollar outlay, $400 is just not that much in the grand scheme of things and could be SOLD later if they decide to stop racing.

My personal experience is that when I went from trackday rider to racer, not having to buy a transponder was my deciding factor to go with CCS.  How many people out there made that same decision?  I then went on to race solely with CCS for three years.  Because of the initial discussion about the possibility of having to buy a transponder for CCS, I purchased one and am now splitting my racing between CCS and another organization
CCS / WERA EX #95

MACOP1104

A transponder is expensive no doubt but what are the options?  Eventually, the current system will fail or the upkeep costs will get too high.  The system needs to be replaced, the debate is how to pay for it.  I raced 3 CCS events last year and 1 WERA event.  This year, I'm doing mostly WERA.  The cost of fuel is taking a huge portion of my racing budget.  Now, the closer event is the one I will attend.   

50Joe

WERA and AHRMA use AMB  and I think the AMA does too.  Mylaps.com is awesome.  IMO, CCS should use the same system.  It works great. 
CCS SE Expert #25
ASRA Pro #25
WERA Expert #2
AHRMA # x22
Motul, Bridgestone, Fast From The Past, Cycle Gear, Foothills Motorsports, Integrity Tool

Rob 315

When I started racing a few years back I had friends who raced with ccs, and some who raced with WERA. After hearing the silly tech rules over there, and the fact that I had to spend an additional three hundred something on a transponder, the decision was a no brainer.

Much like the guy who posted the entries for recent rouudns at each org, I think the point is im sure im not the only NEWB who chose CCS over WERA to save $300.

Would I quit racing if CCS required a transponder ? Doubt it...but I may take a closer look at WERA because I already have a standard windscreen in my parts bin, I have friends that race there, and they race at more tracks.
CCS ex 315

Gixxerblade