It's time to suck it up and buy our own transponders in 2012

Started by Greeny, June 02, 2011, 10:35:28 AM

MELK-MAN

the argument that an additional $400 will stop a rider from racing and just continue doing trackdays is nonsense.. Racers wanna race. If someone is happy doing track days, they are not thinking "hmm.. if it weren't for that $400 transponder fee i would RACE!". Nor are they looking at that as a barrier to WERA vs CCS. Riders/racers typcially go where there friends are racing, or when looking at a shedule what tracks are closer in proximity, as well as the weekend shedule.. Are some going to not be happy spending another $400 after they have already been racing ? sure, but there are some perks that come with having a transponder record your times. And it is a one time fee, not a fee you need to endure every race weekend like travel, gas, time off work, tires, etc.
2012 FL region & 2014 South East overall champion
Pro Flow Tech Performance Fuel Injector Service
MICHELIN, EBC, Silkolene, JenningsGP, Engine Ice

mikendzel

While I don't want to discount your comment Greg because I know you've been around for a long time, but my personal experience with trying to recruit new racers is exactly the opposite.   It's taken a lot of effort to get people to try racing, and most of the time the argument is regarding value.

MELK-MAN

I understand what your saying, but having been around racers and track riders alike.. the question of "how much is a transponder" never comes up. Now tell them you don't have to buy one now, but may have to spend $400 later and sure, they are gonna be like "say what??" BUT.. once the friends go racing, or a track day guy wants to test themselves against more than just the "fast" group on a track day.. They understand lots of money is gonna get spent to go racing. NOW, if this is a rider that says "yea, i would like to do ONE race weekend" just to say they did it, then $400 is a VIABLE reason to not race. BUT, riders would be able to rent a transponder for a reduced fee vs. payin $400 to own.

The cost/value argument will go on for as long as there are alternatives to getting a bike on track (race or just do track days). It is a serious outlay of money to get a bike on the track, and if a rider is on the fence about racing due to the cost of a transponder.. they are searching for an excuse to NOT RACE. Not a bad thing, but perhaps they don't want to be ridiculed by buddies for beeing "skeeered" .. so they say "pffffffffffffffffttt - $400 transponder, that does it.. no way"
See what i mean? You know what it takes to race from a dollar outlay, $400 is just not that much in the grand scheme of things and could be SOLD later if they decide to stop racing.

barkley57

While I don't want to discount your comment Greg because I know you've been around for a long time

Greg, I think Mike is trying to say your old   :lmao:
Bob Michael
B&E Motorsports
410-822-6855
www.bemotorsports.net
KTM RC8R #24

fzr400tony

LRRS just switched to participant-owned transponders. Anyone know how it effected their turnout compared to the last few years?

I don't know that it's just transponder costs that weigh into the WERA/CCS decision. Though, for me, it definitely did for some time.

As far as Summit Point times go, it doesn't appear that either site (myracingbio or mylaps) has lap times up. Just CCS results on the CCS page.

kawtipping

Perhaps everyone needs to think about what the response from CCS was over the winter on the current system.  Basically the system is old and dying.  It needs to be replaced with something no matter what.  If we end up having to buy a personal transponder, but race fees stay the same, we are out a set amount of money up front.  If CCS were to go to a system that kept the same type of setup currently used where they own the transponders, don't you think race fees will go up?  Say they only go up $25 a weekend.  Great...but my guess would be it would be at least $50 a weekend for the first race and an additional each class.  Even if you only race 3 or 4 weekends a year, it doesn't take long to piss away the money you could invest in a transponder of your own.  Don't forget, used ones go for near the same price as a new one.  Say you resell yours for $100 less than you bought it.  Your 4 weekends would have paid for your transponder.
Moto Union - Ducati & MV Agusta of Milwaukee

Who wants a pasta ride?

drew231506

Is rfid technology what they use for 10Ks and running races?  We just did the Warrior Dash and they put a little plastic thing on your shoe that kept the timing.  You didnt even have to return it at the end of the race.  But you could if you wanted and got a free beer.  Is it just not accurate enough?  Accuracy is over rated...it'll all even out with time.  So you're a little faster one lap and little slower the next.  ;-)

It can be frustrating waiting for some times to post.
CCS Expert# 13

MELK-MAN

Quote from: barkley57 on June 06, 2011, 08:35:48 PM
While I don't want to discount your comment Greg because I know you've been around for a long time

Greg, I think Mike is trying to say your old   :lmao:

LOL.. when you have been in races, where adding the ages of TWO of the riders in front of you don't equal yours.. it is a safe bet you will not be called YOUNG!

Quote from: kawtipping on June 07, 2011, 09:19:52 AM
Perhaps everyone needs to think about what the response from CCS was over the winter on the current system.  Basically the system is old and dying.  It needs to be replaced with something no matter what.  If we end up having to buy a personal transponder, but race fees stay the same, we are out a set amount of money up front.  If CCS were to go to a system that kept the same type of setup currently used where they own the transponders, don't you think race fees will go up?  Say they only go up $25 a weekend.  Great...but my guess would be it would be at least $50 a weekend for the first race and an additional each class.  Even if you only race 3 or 4 weekends a year, it doesn't take long to piss away the money you could invest in a transponder of your own.  Don't forget, used ones go for near the same price as a new one.  Say you resell yours for $100 less than you bought it.  Your 4 weekends would have paid for your transponder.

yes, exactly. The money has to come from somewhere. If you race a bunch, it is offset faster. Race a couple times a year? will likely be cheaper to rent ?

mikendzel

Quote from: MELK-MAN on June 07, 2011, 03:04:40 PM
LOL.. when you have been in races, where adding the ages of TWO of the riders in front of you don't equal yours.. it is a safe bet you will not be called YOUNG!

HAHA!

Fast Eddy

Funny, this thread started cause we can't get May BHF lap times up on myracingbio. I just check again for times and now the event the week after are posted but still know BHF!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ed (AKA Dirt nap) CCS #102
http://www.southeastsales.com/
The liver is evil and must be punished!
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Eric Kelcher

Personal thoughts only
Scoring equipment is a function of race organization, a minimal expense <$100 for a rider to spend for personalization of laptimes I can see as reasonable.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

mikendzel

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on June 07, 2011, 05:43:58 PM
Personal thoughts only
Scoring equipment is a function of race organization, a minimal expense <$100 for a rider to spend for personalization of laptimes I can see as reasonable.

$100 transponders?  That I can see. 

Again, if lap times are the problem, buy a lap timer!  They're cheaper than the transponders AND you get your lap times as you cross the finish line, still on your bike.  You don't even need to wait until you get to a computer to look up the website!