Attn: Duc racers...could it be???

Started by skiandclimb, September 16, 2009, 11:16:44 AM

backMARKr

Quote from: skiandclimb on September 28, 2009, 08:34:05 PM
Yeah....it's got a couple more than 112....I need to Dyno it @ WAFO over in IL. and see what she's making right now.  Just wanted to see what people's thoughts on the subject were. This has turned into a SV discussion group now...just trying to get it back on track.

Chris...I don't think its an "SV discussion group", even given the fact that a lot of SV riders are speaking up. I think the consensus is that if you want to be more competitive, get a more competitive bike. Don't change the existing structure to accomodate the bike you have. And just to solidify the point that the SVs aren't the only dog in this fight, if they let the 916/996 into Thunderbike, they better let my '02 750 as well ( just for argument since the Duc is in HW) its not competitive against the new 750s either (definitely isn't with me on it!)

Personally, I don't really care that much, I am gonna race what I have for the fun of getting to race. Period.

The one issue I can see arising with adjusting to accomodate older bikes is not where it starts but where it stops (kinda like censorship). 

NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

skiandclimb

Mark, you love Ducs.  Yout post count is currently 996.  lol
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

tstruyk

Quote from: backMARKr on September 28, 2009, 08:12:52 PM
Hey Tim!  What did the R6 dyno out at last month?

Well to be fair Jerry's Dyno is a heart breaker... but it wasnt over 112...

with my 06 motor on pump gas I was in the mid teens on hitmans...
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

roadracer162

My thought now since I am on a Ducati 800 is that the Ducati 800 SB and a stock SV is a pretty good match as compared to seat of the p[ants weekend racing against the SV in Florida. The SB SV with 80hp is just a tick faster than my Ducati 800 with HC pistons, porting and mild cams. Opening up the breather for the Ducati seems to make great gains on all the models.

Class-wise I think that Thunderbike is an intermediary class between Middleweight and Lightweight. I believe that there could be an intermediary class between Lightweight and Thunderbike such as LW GP and LW SB which already exists. LW SS and GT lights could remain for the smaller twins and even smaller inline fours thus to some extent making it a little more affordable.

916 and 996 in MW, but not in Thunderbike. 998/999 in Heavyweight. 1098 anything in Unlimited. It is my belief the Ducati 800 is more of a lightweight bike and not the Ultralight where the Ducati 750 and smaller should have been the Ultralight.

I would also like to see some concessions to say a 10 year old bike.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

kawtipping

I would like to see the 748 in something under the MW class.  Though I don't think LW is necessarily the right place for it either.  Perhaps there needs to be an in between class?  With that being said, I was still getting schooled at BHF on my 996 by an SV in SuperTwins.  In this case, I would say that the rider played a much bigger role than equipment.  I am not a fast person by any means...but short tracks will not favor the 748 over anything else.  And when I say 748, I mean a 748, not a 748R.  The 748R should not be considered for LW.  It is a MW candidate for sure being that it will pump out as much power as my 996 (which I do think should be in MW).  Right now I run only in SuperTwins because my 119hp 996 just isn't competitive in any other class (with me piloting it).  Thunderbike should stay with the 748...and even the 748R even though it is an over-achiever.
Moto Union - Ducati & MV Agusta of Milwaukee

Who wants a pasta ride?

roadracer162

The 748 is below the MW class as in Thunderbike. What is proposed is for the 748 be classified in LW GP and LW Superbike-so that in between class already exists. There are three different models of the 748 as I understand with the RS being a killer of a bike. Yes the RS will have as much power as your 996 until you do even more work to your bike or aomeone else that has one will do.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

kawtipping

I know what your saying about Thunderbike.  I agree, it is a bit below MW.  However, a class for bikes that are not "light weight" would be nice.  Something that the 2 valve 1000cc bikes, sv650's and the 7 series Ducs could compete in along with other bikes that just don't fit the true meaning of light weight.  I would say that R model Ducs should not be allowed unless it is a unlimited version.  The power output of the R (and of course the RS) compared to the standard bikes in stock form is more than should be let into a lot of the MW class (in my opinion anyways).
Moto Union - Ducati & MV Agusta of Milwaukee

Who wants a pasta ride?

George_Linhart

Quote from: kawtipping on September 30, 2009, 09:44:14 PM
I would say that R model Ducs should not be allowed unless it is a unlimited version.  The power output of the R (and of course the RS) compared to the standard bikes in stock form is more than should be let into a lot of the MW class (in my opinion anyways).

How would you enforce this?  I don't think it would be too hard to build something darn close to a 748R from a standard model.  There is no shortage of Corse parts or bits and pieces from R bikes that you could use to put this together and by VIN it would appear as a standard model.  It would also be almost a complex check in Tech to discover the differences without some detailed inspection and dis-assembly.

If you want to race LW, I think you should buy something legal for LW.  If you like racing your 748, accept that outside of Thunderbike it is going to be dis-advantaged.

Funny thing is that if they actually make this rule change, I just may go out and buy myself a 748.  I always loved those bikes and would just have a blast trying to build one to be reliable and fast.

George

Cowboy 6

Quote from: George_Linhart on October 01, 2009, 11:10:05 AM

If you want to race LW, I think you should buy something legal for LW.  If you like racing your 748, accept that outside of Thunderbike it is going to be dis-advantaged.

George

+1 That goes for a number of "other" bikes too...
C6

www.NeedGod.com  ....   www.TPOParts.com  ....   www.Christiansportbike.com.com ....  www.woodcraft-cfm.com ....  www.ebcbrakes.com ....www.baxleycompanies.com

roadracer162

Looks like there will be a lot of 748 running next year.
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

tstruyk

Quote from: skidMARK on October 01, 2009, 12:05:38 PM
Looks like there will be a lot of 748 running next year.

I'd be lookin for one...
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

backMARKr

NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13