News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Attn: Duc racers...could it be???

Started by skiandclimb, September 16, 2009, 11:16:44 AM

skiandclimb

Got my CCS newsletter yesterday, and to my amazement- there was a blurb about possible reclassification for our beloved desmoquattros in it!  I know a bunch of you have been talking with the powers that be about getting the 748 into LW classes, and a few of us 916/996 folks asking for similar reclassification.  It seems as though CCS was listening!

I have sent off a few letters to Kevin Elliott over the summer about this. Not with the typical bitching/complaining attitude, but just some facts. I truly hope this goes through! I know that with the new Ducati hotness (848, 1098, 1198 etc) our old desmoquattros have been outclassed. The same new hotness stuff has also opened up the older quattro bikes as great club racing tools...I think we'll see more 748/916/996's on the track now! Its nice to know that the rules committee is giving the idea a fair shot at reclassification.

Anywho- my thanks to all my fellow Ducati racers, who have spent their time sending in e-mails, letters, etc. And also to Kevin for being open to the idea.  :thumb:   :cheers:

Heres's to 2010...and hopefully being able to run something other than just Supertwins!  (Thunderbike, anyone? :thumb:)

-Ski
#730 CCS MW/GP
Pursuit Racing, The Backstopper's Org.
www.cyclehouseperformance.com - St. Louis, MO.
King Edward's Chicken and Fish- St. Louis, MO.
www.mcraracing.com

123user

I've been against the idea in the past, however I might warm up to it.  Now, instead of running my 305lb/115 hp 1000ds based bike,  I can build a 310lb/130hp 748r based bike for gtl and lwgp...sweet!

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

Ducmarc

yeah just great now my secret weapon is not so secret anymore . good thng i got plenty of parts to keep us running in more than 2 races a weekend  and mark you need to drink some anti aging tea and get on a diet for this one 

benprobst

Quote from: 123user on September 16, 2009, 12:01:50 PM
I've been against the idea in the past, however I might warm up to it.  Now, instead of running my 305lb/115 hp 1000ds based bike,  I can build a 310lb/130hp 748r based bike for gtl and lwgp...sweet!

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!

Exactly, thats what ive been saying the whole time. Just because you dont know how to build a fast bike doesnt mean you should be allowed to run down a class. Becuase someone out there, actually can build a fast bike and is going to blow classes wide open. Chris, If your 996/8 is going to be allowed in thunderbike then our 160 hp 999 should be allowed in too. Youre bike is 10 years old, buy a new one if you want to be competitive. Honestly, all of the slower guys I know on older ducs are going to get whooped just as bad in LW and Thunderbike as they would in B/750/HW. Why does it matter, if youre just out there for fun why should your bike be put in with lower class motorcycles?
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Gino230

Uh, I don't think anyone is talking about letting the 998 into LW.

The proposed change is to allow 748 into LW SB, GP, and GTL.

Also to allow the 916/996 into MW.

The 998/999/1098/1198 would remain unchanged, as well as the 749/848.

I know this has been beaten to death but the bottom line is that in club racing it gets done all the time. Look at the SV going to ULSB as an example. I don't think that is going to "blow the class wide open" but it will allow alot more competition.

These older bikes can be had for pretty cheap which makes the barrier to entry pretty low- isn't that a good thing for club racing?
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

mwsportsimaging

Sorry, but I haven't seen to many "cheap" 748r's floating around on craig's list.

benprobst

Quote from: Gino230 on September 19, 2009, 01:09:51 PM
Uh, I don't think anyone is talking about letting the 998 into LW.

The proposed change is to allow 748 into LW SB, GP, and GTL.

Also to allow the 916/996 into MW.

The 998/999/1098/1198 would remain unchanged, as well as the 749/848.

I know this has been beaten to death but the bottom line is that in club racing it gets done all the time. Look at the SV going to ULSB as an example. I don't think that is going to "blow the class wide open" but it will allow alot more competition.

These older bikes can be had for pretty cheap which makes the barrier to entry pretty low- isn't that a good thing for club racing?

Its totally different. The SVs were moved down a class because newer faster bikes that cant/arent categorized as mw bikes were just too much for y some whinny ass SV riders. Much like the old RZ then FZR. The were moved into a non existant class where there was no current competition and essentially no entries. The old ducatis are already classified as what they are HW and up for the big bikes and MW for the little ones.

998s are awfully close to 996s. and 999s are awfully close to 998s. If your 996 is let in why not my 999R? If 748s are let into LW you ARE going to have someone show up with a 140 hp 330 pound 748 and its going to suck for everybody. Thats how racing works, you race to see who is fastest on the best bikes, not how long can I hold onto a bike until it can run against much slower motorcycles. You guys have plenty of races to run in, run them.

The barrier for entry is as low as it could be right now. You can get yourself a serious bike for 3000 bucks and go win races. That wont be the case if faster and faster bikes keep being let into LW. Are you suggesting racers start on a ducati instead of an SV or GP bike? I would say that it couldnt be further from the truth saying its good for club racing. For a long time you could have won LW races with talent no matter what bikes you were on. Ive seen plenty of people run with Ed on bikes that arent half of what his is becuase they were young, dumb, and talented. It will be a shame for a talented kid to get beat down everyweekend on his nice SS SV because he is competing against a far superior motor and chassis.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

HAWK

Just for the record Ben, who whined, eh sorry, wanted the SV moved to ULW?
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

benprobst

Quote from: HAWK on September 19, 2009, 05:26:39 PM
Just for the record Ben, who whined, eh sorry, wanted the SV moved to ULW?

ehh not sure, it was mostly just a joking stab because im a whinny ass SV rider.
Home of the GSXR 565

tstruyk

I'm with Ben on this one... unless he can squeeze a solid reliable 120 HP outta my SV...

Just because its more expensive and less "lilkely" that someone will build one doesnt make it right... I seem to recall the SE guys up in arms about allowing one of the big bore ducs in some classes as guys down there will throw down the cash to put em together.

Noone held a gun to anyone's head to buy the machine they are on... if thats what you wanna race, then race it.  But just because you cant make it compete in the class it was designed for doesnt mean we should all compensate for its inadequacies.

eh, but I'm just another whinny SV racer...

of course it would be cool to dust one off...
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Ducmarc

I've always run light wt and maybe I'm part of the problem but it seems the light wt classes are starting to get out of control .120hp in light wt seems an oxymoron. in a way I'd like to see more competitive classes for the old 748 but then it completely obsoletes my old 900 there's not even a ahrma class for it. maybe one extra class for it like light wt GP.  still changing vintage to  a 10yr old rule would give us and some older 4cyl bikes a place to run and gino what are you going to run your 1000 in?  i'm changing my name to waffle

danch

If the 748 goes lightweight shouldn't the other middleweights of similar vintage (that are also uncompetitive with the current hotness in the land of the 600cc4) go with it?
MW Am #720