New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Attn: Duc racers...could it be???

Started by skiandclimb, September 16, 2009, 11:16:44 AM

George_Linhart

Quote from: skidMARK on October 24, 2009, 07:15:58 AM
George,

What brand tires are you using?
I have been running Pirelli slicks for the past 2 seasons.

roadracer162

Didn't Pirelli come out with some new/better tires in 2009? Are the slicks improved also?

I am curious as to what clamps you are using and I presume you mean the adjustable offset clamps?

I noticed that while learning and riding Marc Miller's 748 there is a considerable difference using the Michelin V Power one. Very easy turn in.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Gino230

George,

Funny you should mention the wheelbase, I think mine is longer than most. I recently sold some bodywork to Chris Sullivan who runs custom triples and the chain adjuster is almost all the way forward- he had to cut two or three inches off of my lower to make it fit his bike.

Maybe the longer wheelbase and higher all around ride height is better than shorter wheelbase / more agressive geometry? Like I said, I'd be glad to share my settings....not that my bike is perfect,  but it might help to see where it compares.

Also, turn in effort to me might be light, but then I cut my teeth riding these SS ducs so maybe I'm used to it? The 996 and 1098 I ride occasionally feel like they have much lighter steering.

Also, I'm using DOT Pirellis. As you know there is much more to slicks than just lack of tread- the softer rubber sometimes is compensated for with a stiffer carcas and / or different profile- I had a buddy who has a very tough time with high speed wobble on his SS- He uses a slick front and a DOT rear. Sometimes when you add wheels or different tires into the equation, you get all kinds of funny results.
CCS / ASRA EX # 23
2012 Ducati 848 / 1100 Conversion     2005 Ducati 749RS
2006 CCS Florida Thunderbike Champion (AM)
2008 CCS LW Supersport National Champion (EX) 2nd in 2011 and now  2012....damn you Mavros!

roadracer162

Hey Gino,

I think your geometry is pretty much stock and we have all modeled our bikes to mimic yours. I know that Tony's SS was lowered to obtain these results after previously lifted by a reputable suspension shop. Tony seems to like the new geometry/stock.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

123user

I never noticed a problem with the rear squatting and running wide while mine was SS spec.  After adding 30 hp, it wouldn't drive out of corner.  I made some different triples (23mm offset) to increase trail, then increased the swingarm angle to about 13 degrees from horizontal.  The stock swingarm angle is about 10 degrees.  Now it drives out great... no squat, and the front only lifts from power, except it now shook scarily strait up and down.  After I welded a brace tube between the two engine mounts it stopped shaking.

roadracer162

Wow! 23 mm offset? Got another set?

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

F2RGK

Quote from: Ducmarc on October 13, 2009, 09:15:24 PM
ya mark he's got 40+ hp on you and better drive and better aerodynamics s it's a wonder your paint didn't peel off . and 30k was a stock bike those gas charged olins are 20k and he's spent atleast 20k in the motor then the motec and the carbon and the wheels and the new throttlebodys i bet he's got 90k in it plus he's a good smooth rider. so to stay in touch with him is an accomplishment and a chance to beat him even better you got to admit it's fun to make him nervious on the old junk pile of ours just hope he dosn't go to a 748rs or 749r

Sounds like I'm going on a mission with my Honda F2.  Oh yes, I can!!!  I'm going to prove a point. 
If you're not Smilin' while you're ridin', then QUIT!

123user

Quote from: skidMARK on October 24, 2009, 03:41:22 PM
Wow! 23 mm offset? Got another set?

They took me about 40 hours to make in the mill, but have a lot of contour work.  Thats the problem with all the commercially available stuff (other than the fact that they cost too much)  not enough adjustment.  You'll also need a (much) longer shock eye to get the swingarm angle up there... then, when you do, you need 16T front sprocket to keep the chain from pulling squat.  I was very heavy, @250lbs, so my squat problems were bad enough to make the bike unrideable quickly... a lighter rider would probably not notice.

Life is much easier when you have a complete machine shop in your garage!

Ducmarc

someone needs to let becka ride a good 748 she sounds like the size the factory built it for . mark i don't like compairing bikes with sullivan's he has a real good bike and his all or nothing riding style makes up a lot of lap time . I'm still not convinced the duel spark SS is that much better than my carberated 900 it's 310 lbs 95 hp .the crank was lightened by Ben fox with Carrillo's total loss barely a flywheel  748 trans 944kit jugs cut down till the pistons touch the biggest v2 cams they make duel plugged big valves ported paper thin home made spaghetti exhaust bored 41 flats with fuel pumps the usual frame bracing and good forks and shock it pulls good to 10k and will ring out 11 if i need it. simple electronics no puter to slow you down. ask suillivan or fernando how fast it is . he turned the same lap times as G rods' DS at homestead with front end chatter. i just don't do it justice. I need to go through it and find a  little more hp.     the 748 has a Cadillac frame what a difference  go to a track day abuse my self on the 900 or ride in style on 748 eldorado. of course it has a real superbike shock and forks off maladin's 97 superbike

123user

Quote from: Ducmarc on October 24, 2009, 08:30:36 PM
I'm still not convinced the duel spark SS is that much better than my carberated 900 it's 310 lbs 95 hp .

Its not!  But a dual spark with flatsides is!  I was a big believer in FI until I put the FCR's on my DS.  I spent hours and hours on the dyno working with Ultimap ecu.  The best I could muster was 92hp (on a factory pro),  After a little tuning on the flatsides it was @ 98hp (again, on a Factory Pro)... I was smiling, the dyno operator was shaking his head in disbelief!  Of course thats with a 1078 kit, total loss, V2 cams, 47mm intake valves, and highly massaged heads.

Ducmarc

that was i was thinking need some basic ignition and throw all that fuel infestation and computers away save weight and rev it till it won't turn anymore. everyone worries about rpm but the bottom is good to atleast 10,000 and probably 11 safely but you can't do it with the factory computer talked with jeff nash a few years ago and he had a 66mm crank in is 900 and really liked that the best. it would rev easy and had all the overrev you needed i think the 72mm crank limits the motor to muchon the 1000. you need to hang the air cooled heads on an 1198 shorter stroke and gaint bore.

123user

Google "ignitech".  These units are available from california cycleworks and are soooo easy!  If your running total loss its just a couple of wires and utilizes the std FI ducat ignition pickup.  Best part:  only $200

I'm running one on my DS, it performs flawlessly.  The only thing I noticed was that it was a little more sensitive to the air gap on the ignition pickup.

A note on the ds revvin'  Mine would rev until it blew, but even with serious heads and cams, power past 8K has been elusive.