How can we promote CCS racing??

Started by jigs, June 25, 2009, 05:13:45 PM

jigs

Although it's true,I have smoked dope,BUT,I think I'll have some fun and make some flyers out and visit the local cycle dealers and I'm sure they'll let me put them on the front door,who knows,maybe it'll get a little something going.

ProudWife

List of riders, pictures, and their bikes can be something that can be done at the beginning or ending of each year.  The problem with updating that information for each race, it becomes too costly.  A flyer can be put together or just a list of race stats can be printed out and handed out at the next race for the spectators to review. It seems like the stats, and the list of riders would benefit the riders themselves, not the spectators.  That way each riding similar bikes can share experiences and/or parts if necessary.  For example, many times, I hear on the loud speaker that someone's bike is not working or went down, and then the announcers ask over the air for someone with the similar bike who can help to come forward to meet up with the racer. 

But to be honest, many of the spectators are not there for the stats, just good racing. So the question goes back to, what can be done to bring more spectators into the racing arena to produce more reasonable income where it's needed.  The more reasonably collected income from spectators, could possibly mean a decrease in the prices of races, therefore allowing the racers the opportunity to enter more races. 

I still believe that if in every area, if the most popular News Paper is contacted for racing articles to be published in (usually the entertainment or sports section), then at the end of the article, state where the next race will be held. And if they bring in the article they get $5 off at the gate for either one vehicle or one person - or a free meal for the family from a restaurant that is willing to get some free advertising as well - this will result in creating incentive to come and that would be a good way to see if the News Paper articles are working.  In addition to the News Paper, Flyers, and Internet working would be a good way to get the word out.
Robin Miller, Proud Member of the #359 Racing Team. My motto:  Live Life To Have Fun!

ProudWife

PS - Mark, I am sure Lori and Michelle will be happy to be umbrella girls. Umbrella girls were drastically needed at Homestead this past weekend. :]
Robin Miller, Proud Member of the #359 Racing Team. My motto:  Live Life To Have Fun!

Gbord

Quote from: Super Dave on June 25, 2009, 09:12:54 PM
This is a pretty heavily beaten topic, so I'll try to throw in my quick two cents.

From the CCS side, it's sportsman racing.  It is racing for the racer.  The person or persons that come to the events are in general competitors.  Yeah, there's some neat action, but there isn't the hospitality or show available to pull in much for significant numbers to make much sense in generating much of a spectator base beyond that. 

There's only a small percentage of committed racers that attend every event, and most of those individuals are focused primarily upon their individual program occurring at the track.  Again, that doesn't generate much beyond the sportsman concept of racers racing racers and the sponsorships basically furthering exposure to other racers.

If one really wanted to make an impact, do it for yourself.  Generate your press releases, your fliers, your team, your rider, your "hospitality", and other items to attract others to come see you at the races.  No one goes to a race to see an organization.  Generally, they don't go to see a bike.  Few people would enjoy seeing me ride a Ducati GP09.  However, seeing Hayden or Stoner on it, that's a different story.  And that's my immediate illustration.  Make yourself an attraction, and that will help your program and drag CCS along with it.  It's not in the necessary interest of CCS to generate substantially more expenses, even if one could figure out some minimal ones, that could necessarily have a measurable impact upon getting more "spectators" to races. 

Reducing spectator gate fees?  Free ones have been tried in the past with no substantial change in attendance.  It sucks, I know, but really the best focus is to focus on yourself.  Additionally, it offers one the best opportunity to control the immediate product.

Is this really the view that CCS/ASRA takes and practices?  I find it hard to believe that they would not want increased exposure, attendance and, with proper management, more profit.   The very simple idea of program listing participants is an improvement.  My bet is that spectators would even pay for it!  Just the other week at VIR I heard people saying that they wish they had a program.  We need a way to get new people to the track and good ideas like the ones in this thread implemented to keep 'em coming back.  Having those veterans at Summit was a great idea.  Was it promoted outside of the roadracing community? That could have been a catalyst to get others to attend.   I for one would be happy to print out a pdf file designed and approved by CCS and distribute them around my local area a few weeks before a "local" race.  Bottom line is that the stake holders have to work together to evolve the product and this "sportsman" theory doesn't cut it!   Maybe it's time to take another look at things and start promoting and championing this sport we all love.  It isn't much, but I take my "gently used" roadracing mags to the gym and put them on the racks for others to read.  Seems like the obstacle is not a lack of ideas, but the lack of willingness and teamwork to implement them.  Maybe pick one date at a suitable track and have a raffle, a mist tunnel, BBQ, a big bouncy castle for the kids, hell just have the local carnies set up shop and promote, promote, promote.  Begin it Now!
Begin it now.

mx558

Its the gate fee that keeps the spectators away.  I had some freinds that came out last year and were defintly put off by the gate fee. It should be 5 or maybe 10 for each person. People are not going to pay 25 bucks to watch us slugs racing. I don't mind paying it myself as I have already fiqured on spending a G for the weekend. We could use more advertising for sure as most people don't even know theirs a race going on in the same town were in.

roadracer162

I'm not totally convinced that it is the gate fee that keeps them away but it is a contributing factor. We share a common enthusiasm when it pertains to motorcycles and then even moreso when it invloves racing. There are many in the genaral population that just don't get it, but they can watch golfing for hours.

How do I make what I do attractive? I do a little dance, make a little...

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Burt Munro

Get down tonight!   Get down tonight!

:biggrin:
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Ducmarc

well robin comes in on sunday because of the price and we are the racers hear we are right next to the largest city in florida and if you count ft lauderale probably the south east and it was a ghost town think what you can do in a depressed economy on 25 bucks 2 movies and popcorn gun show about 10 bucks( and they advertise) fish in the keys since your almost there. primerib dinner with a drink and salad.parrot jungle monkey jungle viscaya metro zoo several rum runners at the tiki bar in key largo  and its june in miami. so the only spectators are hard core. we live 1 hour from disney but we only go every couple of years  because of the cost. arena football was canceled cut ticket prices at daytona and still did not sell out.we may have to weather this out.  i haven't seen cycle news in a bike chain store in a long time nevermind RW so how does a new rider find out about word of mouth

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

roadracer162

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22

GKBuzz

There are some businesses in Beloit that don't know BHF is even there! Maybe we should have a Saturday night parade of bikes through downtown. I've always wanted to get some larger (big) size CCS decals for the trailers. Fliers and posters around the midwest with the whole schedule printed on it could really help.
Grant
Never to old to learn

Super Dave

Quote from: Gbord on July 02, 2009, 06:49:50 PM
Is this really the view that CCS/ASRA takes and practices?  I find it hard to believe that they would not want increased exposure, attendance and, with proper management, more profit.   The very simple idea of program listing participants is an improvement.  My bet is that spectators would even pay for it!  Just the other week at VIR I heard people saying that they wish they had a program.  We need a way to get new people to the track and good ideas like the ones in this thread implemented to keep 'em coming back.  Having those veterans at Summit was a great idea.  Was it promoted outside of the roadracing community? That could have been a catalyst to get others to attend.   I for one would be happy to print out a pdf file designed and approved by CCS and distribute them around my local area a few weeks before a "local" race.  Bottom line is that the stake holders have to work together to evolve the product and this "sportsman" theory doesn't cut it!   Maybe it's time to take another look at things and start promoting and championing this sport we all love.  It isn't much, but I take my "gently used" roadracing mags to the gym and put them on the racks for others to read.  Seems like the obstacle is not a lack of ideas, but the lack of willingness and teamwork to implement them.  Maybe pick one date at a suitable track and have a raffle, a mist tunnel, BBQ, a big bouncy castle for the kids, hell just have the local carnies set up shop and promote, promote, promote.  Begin it Now!
Well, again, you've proposed some ideas...

How much do those cost?  How much profit would you bank on?  Clear Channel Entertainment did own CCS and FUSA for a period of time.  They had a national series in FUSA and even bought major network TV time.  But the results of that were no increase in attendance. 

Who is at the race?  If you charge $25 a head to see me race, would most people that like racing rather keep their $25 and put up another $25 to go see Mladin race? 

The sanctioning body is there to provide the format.  Get spectators to come see you.  Yoshimura spends millions to get people to come see Mladin, Tommy, and Blake, and that works to get spectators to the AMA sanctioned event.  Do people go to ASRA races to see Danny Bilansky on his Hal's Buell?  Sure.  It's an attraction.  Each "team" in CCS should strive to make their program a sportsman attraction to move forward...if that's what they want.  But most racers are just in it for the recreational activity just above a track day.
Super Dave