News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

How can we promote CCS racing??

Started by jigs, June 25, 2009, 05:13:45 PM

jigs

Reading proud wifes post of spectator point of view,it made me think again on how so many people are missing out on great action,human excellence,danger,drama skill and so on.How many times have I been to a town and at a restaurant,they don't even know there's racing going on.You look at the cost of most sporting events that aren't even close in terms of excitiment,it's unreal.Where else can you go and picnic,spend a day at a nice facility,and watch some great action.I think we all somehow could do a better job at promoting this thing we do.I know money's tight for advertising,but there are people that would really enjoy this sport that don't even know we're runningon a particular weekend.I know not all people are bike people,but may come once and might like it if they knew we were here.I read her post and feel the same way,I love watching you guys compete,the heart and courage and skill that you guys and gals show every weekend you race,the adversity,the ups and downs,it's awesome.Would something as simple as making fyers and sendung them to Bike dealers,putting them in grocery stores,telephone poles fior that matter,I just think alot of people are missing ouy on a huge value in entertainment,and we're missing out on gate and consessions revenue,can CCS afford an add the local sports sections?? How many of us would volanteer some time to help promote?? Do you guys agree with this?? Have you thought of this....am I smoking dope??
I look forward to BHF in July where I will compete and do my best and watch all of you do the same,you guys are all stars,and more people should come atch you race...that's just my opinion.

truckstop

I think lowering the fee would help. I'm fine with it since I'm going to be there anyway, but to lure in more friends, and family, it would help if it didn't cost $25 to watch on Saturday. IMHO that's kind of steep to watch club racing. I've been told that BHF used to clip wristbands and gave a partial refund if people left Saturday night. If registration is going to be up front at the gate now, could we start doing that again? (I realize that charging for Saturday only is impossible because you'd have to check everyone on Sunday.)

Putting some advertising out in the local community around the track would be cool, but I think it also starts with us - talking friends into coming out to hang, posting on message boards about events, etc. It's hard for sure. I used to pester the crap out of my coworkers and friends and so far not a single one has shown up.

GIGOLO

I get that too Jen, my own family (other than the wife) hasn't come out to watch.  I finally got my brother to come out the end of July.  He's going to try and and get his license that weekend and maybe race Sunday. 

I think its hard to promote mainly because the tracks are generally a couple hours away from big cities, the weather has a big impact ( how often is it 72 and sunny).  I think that you are both right, it starts with us.  I'm bigger than most people I could physically threaten them. :biggrin:  There are alot of sport bike riders around here (Chicago) they would come to watch if they knew about it.  Playing in rock bands has taught me that if you don't spread the word nobody is going to come watch.  If Kevin Elliot printed fliers for C.C.S. events in the Midwest and sent them to me, I would get them put up in all the Chicago-land bike dealers, and bike night spots.  John could promote it at dealerships that he knows and Jen could go to the bike dealers.  Kevin, if you like this idea I can send you my address.

roadracer162

For me I started telling my story in 2005. I began by the casual email to friends and family reporting the happenings of the weekend. There was also a free to the reader publication "Cycle Scene Magazine" owned by John Marley here in Florida. I took the chance and sent an email to Mr Marley. To my surprise he responded and requested further articles. I did and I enjoyed the response of the readers and fellow racers. Sadly John Marley has passed since then and the publication is no longer. Maybe one day I will start it back up in his memory.

I still write articles for friends and have recently introduced them the the staff at PBIR. They will possibly use it in their publication reaction times.

Here is one from the past.
http://www.ccsforum.com/index.php/topic,22657.0.html

Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Super Dave

This is a pretty heavily beaten topic, so I'll try to throw in my quick two cents.

From the CCS side, it's sportsman racing.  It is racing for the racer.  The person or persons that come to the events are in general competitors.  Yeah, there's some neat action, but there isn't the hospitality or show available to pull in much for significant numbers to make much sense in generating much of a spectator base beyond that. 

There's only a small percentage of commited racers that attend every event, and most of those individuals are focused primarily upon their individual program occuring at the track.  Again, that doesn't generate much beyond the sportsman concept of racers racing racers and the sponsorships basically furthering exposure to other racers.

If one really wanted to make an impact, do it for yourself.  Generate your press releases, your fliers, your team, your rider, your "hospitality", and other items to attract others to come see you at the races.  No one goes to a race to see an organization.  Generally, they don't go to see a bike.  Few people would enjoy seeing me ride a Ducati GP09.  However, seeing Hayden or Stoner on it, that's a different story.  And that's my immediate illustration.  Make yourself an attraction, and that will help your program and drag CCS along with it.  It's not in the necessary interest of CCS to generate substantially more expenses, even if one could figure out some minimal ones, that could necessarily have a measureable impact upon getting more "spectators" to races. 

Reducing spectator gate fees?  Free ones have been tried in the past with no substantial change in attendance.  It sucks, I know, but really the best focus is to focus on yourself.  Additionally, it offers one the best opportunity to control the immediate product.
Super Dave

RoyHefner

QuoteMake yourself an attraction, and that will help your program and drag CCS along with it.

I've been crashing quite a bit this year.  Spectators generally like that, yes?   :lmao:
Roy Hefner
CCS / ASRA  #163
J.O.S. Motorsports, MCC, Pirelli, Vortex, Silkolene

George_Linhart

I know this is going to be unpopular, but, why can't we raise the race entry fee by a few bucks per race and eliminate the track entry fee?  I've got a handful of friends and family that actually would drive 2 + hours to watch a race and hang out, but with 3-6 person families they are not going to pay the entry fee on top of it.

When we say free entry didn't change attendance much, even 10 more people attending the races is better than none.  They will buy drinks and hotdogs, track will come out ahead.

Why on earth do we want to penalize people who just want to come watch?  Net-net it could be structured so that the racers will pay the same, lets give the break to the people who may want to actually be spectators at our little show!

George

Ducmarc

i kinda thought the new ama would have come out with the advertizing guns ablazing and we would have rode their coat tails a bit but that didn't happen not even a good show for people to watch still think home grown films on fuel fuse or cmt .that's the channels the teens and young adults watch and that's the ones to target . hey dad let's go watch those guys break their necks and get flown out in a chopper. add to the entry and cut the gate might work but i think it's 2 different pockets one ccs and one the track

Super Dave

Quote from: George_Linhart on June 25, 2009, 10:26:53 PM
When we say free entry didn't change attendance much, even 10 more people attending the races is better than none.  They will buy drinks and hotdogs, track will come out ahead.
What the gate fee is used for varies.  Often, it's split between the organization and the track.  So, a portion of the gate goes to rent the track.  Hotdogs and the like are often sold at the track, but those folks are often contractors making their own money and leasing that space from the track. 
Super Dave

jigs

Quote from: RoyHefner on June 25, 2009, 10:22:35 PM
I've been crashing quite a bit this year.  Spectators generally like that, yes?   :lmao:
Knock on wood Hefner!!

roadracer162

I don't necessarily believe that promoting CCS means cheaper gate prices. The meaning it does have for me is "talking it up". Let others know what a great weekend you had and the total events of the weekend. Yes it would be nice to have a few VIP passes to hand out, but I am not a business owner either. I believe that telling my part of the story helps to get others interested. After each weekend the guys I work with all clamour around to here some stories. Some have even attended and enjoyed themselves even though they are not enthusiasts like I am.

I like the idea of a hospitality tent. I am also giving more thought to the free magazine stuff. Each person can have a chance to tell their stories, and then some advertising too.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

Burt Munro

Maybe I go to too many football and hockey games...............

I think we could do more for the casual spectator who drops in and doesn't really know anyone there.  I can't tell you how many times when I've been working Grid that I get into casual conversations with spectators who are thrilled when I share info from the Grid Sheets with them.

Just little things like where the riders are from, what kind of bike they're riding.  People seem to eat this up - being able to make a connection with someone. 

' #31 is from my home town! '
' #675 is riding a Triumph - I've got an old Bonneville! '
' I know a guy from St. Louis named Probst - I wonder if he's any relation? '

I'm not talking about a full blown program - that wouldn't make sense financially.
Just a one or two page sheet they could take with them as they wander thru the pits that has just the basics......

#        Rider Name         Type of Bike        Hometown

I think spectators would love to make more of a connection with the riders if they had a little more info.

With the way things are now it just isn't that easy.
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!