Manufacturers onboard for 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing!

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, October 24, 2008, 10:41:56 PM

GSXR RACER MIKE

Looks like the Motorcycle Manufacturers are onboard with a rules package similar to what was originally going to happen for 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing before DMG got involved, a couple changes are spec fuel and tires in American Superbike which will remain 1000cc bikes. Also looks like the 2009 Daytona 200 is going to be run under the lights for the 1st time ever.

Main article:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34778

Spec tire article:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34779

Spec fuel article:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34780

Final 2009 AMA Pro Road Racing Rules article:
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=34777
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

LongDogRacing

Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

Jason748

CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

LongDogRacing

i guess he does have a tendency to do that, doesn't he!
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Team_Serpent

I didn't see anywhere in any of those articles/announcements where the manufactures released their plans for 2009.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Quote from: Team_Serpent on October 27, 2008, 04:30:04 PMI didn't see anywhere in any of those articles/announcements where the manufactures released their plans for 2009.

I don't have any links for the articles, but I read for example that Kawasaki is sponsering the Infinion event in 2009 (if I remember correctly) and there were some other events where other Manufacturers were involved as well. As far as who their Factory teams will consist of - I don't know?
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

JBraun

ASRA/CCS MW #29
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
PIRELLI

LongDogRacing

Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Scotty Ryan

Quote from: LongDogRacing on October 28, 2008, 02:37:50 PM
JBraun,
Please elaborate!
Thanks,
--Justin

I don't want to put words in anyones mouth - But I think Jason's trying to say that with Dunlops past history of giving out special tires to special people - Things may not be as fair as they seem...

After running the Moto-St series for a while now - I think that people will be able to tell if Others have special tires... The competition should be much closer now with the new rules and specs - that we shouldn't see sooo many run away victories anymore - Not just in the SBK class - But across the board....

I know that I'm not too happy about the brand - But the concept of spec is very appealing to me.... For those of you that haven't raced - I'm sure that this may seem really bad for motorcycling in the U.S - But after spending an entire season in the AMA trying to compete with guys that got special parts and special tires..... It's very promising - Knowing that there are a few less things separating you from the Big Dawgs..... And in the end that should translate into more sponsorship on all levels and more promotion - Hopefully making things more main stream......
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

XRacerX

But now you'll be buying every single tire you use. If you did this last year, then no biggie. But for all those guys sponsored by the other brands and getting tires free, they are screwed. But it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Im hoping everyone ends up on the exact same tire, thats how it should be once they are playing by the spec tire rule... Good luck to ya... 

Scotty Ryan

Quote from: XRacerX on October 29, 2008, 11:56:04 AM
But now you'll be buying every single tire you use. If you did this last year, then no biggie. But for all those guys sponsored by the other brands and getting tires free, they are screwed. But it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I'm hoping everyone ends up on the exact same tire, that's how it should be once they are playing by the spec tire rule... Good luck to ya... 

I know exactly what you mean and this is the same boat I'm in right now - I have been on the phone discussing this topic trying to figure out what the game plan is for next season...  As far as buying the tires yourself - Well it all depends on weather one will be able to just show up to an AMA and race out of the back of their van - Who knows - they may have rules about sizes of teams and transporters.... Really it all comes down to the deal you have with your team - I mean are you paying to ride - Or are they paying you to ride.... There's even a middle ground in there somewhere....

But I agree 100% - Everyone should be on the same tires....
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Super Dave

The tire thing is a crimp in everyone's budget except for those that have afforded buying their own tires.

So, that is a crimp on the bigger teams that had attractive programs to get full tire sponsorships.  Now, that has to be a line in the budget.

Manufacturers on board?

Anyone see contingency made available? 

Kawasaki is the advertiser for an event at Infineon?  Well, I think they sponsor a lot of things not even related to motorcycle racing.  It's just business.  Doesn't show they are committed to racing.  I mean, Kawasaki wasn't involved during a lot of the 80's in road racing even. 

Parity?  With no dyno limit, you've still got to do as Jim Rashid says, "Build the best bike you can."  For some, the amount that can be spent on that is only a little.  Others, it can be quite a bit.  Seemingly infinity compared to others budgets. 

I think there's an opportunity for change.  But has this program allowed a Scotty Ryan or a Jeff Wood to have a better footing in a series that has been skewed a little toward the 15% of the field that has major money and parts coming in from a route that is non standard?  I'm unsure as of yet. 

I think there's still a great opportunity for contingency racing and money making at the club level based on years of previous manufacturer exposure.
Super Dave