supersport legality???

Started by d-wire, January 04, 2008, 06:35:56 PM

Super Dave

Super Dave

123user

Actually I considered racing WERA this year when a friend of mine made the switch.  WERA has a good reputation for fairness when applying technical standards.  The lack of lightweight classes and the crappy tracks in my region made me decide to run CCS.

I don't know what kind of deal was made between WERA and CCS, but it seems that WERA got the short end of the stick.

benprobst

Quote from: 123user on January 11, 2008, 08:16:48 PM
Actually I considered racing WERA this year when a friend of mine made the switch.  WERA has a good reputation for fairness when applying technical standards.  The lack of lightweight classes and the crappy tracks in my region made me decide to run CCS.

I don't know what kind of deal was made between WERA and CCS, but it seems that WERA got the short end of the stick.

I dont think it was deal between the two, rather a deal between CCS and blackhawk. With CCS having a lock on blackhawk, along with the demise of IRP, the problems with Putnam's track managment, and some problems the last time (or couple times) WERA came to Gateway, it wasnt so much a failure in the region, but rather a lack of a region. If you ever get another bike, you really should come run a WERA weekend with me sometime, I think you will appreciate the way they run their events.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Mongo

What the PBR youngun said. 

Roger made a deal with BHF, we wouldn't sign the 7 event deal and couldn't afford to pay the full rental plus $5/head through the gate, plus cash up front for concessions, plus $2.50 (I think, might have been $5) per rider listed on a grid sheet no matter how many actually made the race.  The only way to survive that would have been to charge extra to race at BHF and with the condition it was in at the time it wasn't a good idea so we quit racing there. 

Then toss in GLRRA undercutting everyone big time in MI and the loss of IRP and you have a very weak region - although it's far from the same as the CCS MW region since ours was always based further East.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

Boober

Quote from: Mongo on January 11, 2008, 11:27:07 PM

Then toss in GLRRA undercutting everyone big time in MI

Sorry to thread jack but what ever happened to GLRRA? anyone know?

Super Dave

Was interesting to watch, but, ultimately, I think their expenses were beyond revenue.  Can only have so much volume in loosing money before you have to give up and stop putting money in or looking for ways to suppliment it. 

Seems like Eric was on the forum once. 

Didn't he sell the program or move on to MX?
Super Dave

123user

Ben,
If WERA could ever mend their grudge with Putnum.  I'd have the Hawk back together in an instant. Putnam could be the biggest money makin' event for WERA all year.

I ride a 2006 ducati 1000ss, which is now SB spec.  The crazy thing is that there isn't a sprint race class for this, but there's two that my 1988 Hawk could be competetive in.  What gives! 

This is what I mean about the CCS management and rulebook being more inclusive.  WERA is totally the place to go if you want to endurance race, but I'd hate to drive 5 hours to run 1 class and risk DQ because of WERA's hairsplitting tech.

WERA may be more "fair", but CCS is more racer friendly.  My money will stay with them.

Super Dave

I don't think Putnam has anything to do with WERA.  CCS and AHRMA don't have dates there either. 
Super Dave

123user

I realize that neither WERA, CCS, or AHRMA have dates at Putnam.   But I'm not going to try out WERA on a go-cart track 4 hours away to run one class.  If WERA could get back in Putnam, I'd go and a lot of other people would too.  That track is perfectly located for so many people.

I made a general statement that WERA rules are stricter and less inclusive for machine varieties.  If you want to chase buell or ducati (aircooled) contigencies, CCS/ASRA is place to do it.  If you enjoy modifying your machines heavily, CCSASRA is the place to do it.  So, yes, there are people out their that don't run WERA because of their rules structure.  And its more than just a tiny minority.

I have every respect for WERA racers, their management, and officials.  But I choose not to race WERA because I think the rules are too restrictive.  I doubt I am the only one.

Mongo may be correct about the rule decision, but his logic is still fallacious.  There is no part in the rulebook that says the engine or its configuration must remain as produced.  I does mention individual components, heads, cases, valves, cams, and it does say these must remain as produced and OEM.  This is not the same as a motor transplant suggestion, its not OEM for the application.   The SV did come with OEM intake cams, it just didn't come with 4 of them. 

Just because you come to the correct conclustion doesn't mean you followed the correct steps to get to that conclusion.  If the rule books said "head" instead of "heads" (the plural form) it'd make a better case for my argument.  The plural form has traditionally been used to describe the "head assembly".  However, the SV has more than one "head assembly" (as opposed to an inline).  This complicates the issue.  Now the rule could mean plural "head" or a plural "heads".  This all seem way to legalistic, maybe we should move the thread in a different direction.  I suggest we discuss ice cream flavors.  I like Rocky Road, it tastes good and keeps me fat without really trying.

But I've got a real stretch for your entertainment.  You could run race cams and duct tape the OEM cams to the side of the bike... even I agree this would be illegal!

Gixxerblade

I like pralines and cream. Those little pieces of whatever is what I like about it.

123user

If we ever go back to Gingerman, I recommend Sherman's ice cream store.  Its right on the way to the track.  Everything is made from real fruit...  It was a real relief in 2006 when it was like 97 degrees.  I thought all those Canadian Can-Am guys were going to melt.

Mongo

Our rules don't say it has to remain as produced or are you back to the CCS rules on that one?

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com