supersport legality???

Started by d-wire, January 04, 2008, 06:35:56 PM

d-wire

are "kit" parts legal in supersport.  Say, kit valve springs in a suzuki 600 or a "kit" oil pump in a r6?  they are oem parts, so Im not sure.....thank you in advance :thumb:
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

Sobottka

well a racing kit part is not an oem part -original equipment manufacturer and that has nothing to do with ss legality (a racing kit part is not original equipment). kit valve springs... no (i think). kit ecu... yes. 

the rulebook says- "original equipment head, valves and cams must remain as produced..."
doesnt specify springs though so maybe??
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

fatboy122

Now Sean, you know that they dont care about all that stuff..as long as you have DOT's on the bike then it will pass..its hard to see the motor when all they look at is the airbox :cheers:

benprobst

Quote from: fatboy122 on January 04, 2008, 08:02:56 PM
Now Sean, you know that they dont care about all that stuff..as long as you have DOT's on the bike then it will pass..its hard to see the motor when all they look at is the airbox :cheers:

Would you rather they tore motors down post race?
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Super Dave

Super Dave

benprobst

BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Super Dave

CCS.  My opinion.  I wouldn't fight them to do it, but I think it would legitimize things at times.  Right now, there's speculation here and there.  I know I've heard of people that do really goofy, completely illegal things.  Seldom does anyone save their mortgage money to tear anyone down. 

Yeah, we know that it's not about power, but it happens and it can help in some situations.

And, yes, this is club racing.  I know.  It won't happen.
Super Dave

benprobst

Yeah I hear ya, my problem is it seems the only people who complain about cheating are the ones getting beat. When the complaints are coming from the back of the pack it kind of un/de-legitimizes it a bit. I mean I cant tell you how many people complained behind my back about how unbelievably fast my sv was back when it made 71 hp, IM 6'6 240lbs for cryin out loud  :biggrin:. I dont doubt there is some strethcing of the rules at the top level. I do doubt, however, that it is as rampant as it is believed to be by the 6th -15th place finishers. But I agree a random tear down or three throughout the year could scare a few people away from rule stretching.
Home of the GSXR 565

fatboy122

I was talking to a expert rider from the upper midwest who was trying to sell me his bike..i told him i wanted a stock engine because of the reliability factor of a built motor and he said "well if your going to run top 10 you will be in the motor because everyone else is" and ive heard that from others as well..

Super Dave

Still comes down to set up.  There have been some stock motors in the AMA, sometimes not on purpose (broken, and that was all that was available).  Chassis is still paramount, period.

My heavy SV1000 had a stock motor, and I almost won some heavyweight and unlimited races with it.  Got second quite a few times, and the power wasn't great at all on the SV1000. 
Super Dave

Sobottka

in the three expert weekends last year (before "the accident") i raced only mw stuff/gtu and got several podiums, even 2-3 second place finishes all on a stock r6 motor... but i did have about $2800 in the chassis!     
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

123user

When was the last time someone got tore down?  That being said, its still much more sportsman-like to keep the bike within the rules.  The rulebook should be read like a legal document-  no "spirit-of-the-rules" interpretations.  That's what make WERA's tech so ridiculous.

Supersport rules dictate DOT's, stock wheels, original (but modified ok) forks.  When the rulebook says something must be OEM, that doesn't mean it has to be unmodified and OEM.  If it says "must remain as produced", that means to can't cut it- that doesn't mean you can't add low-friction/heat shedding coatings-  Technically, I'd consider a simple valve job to be illegal in SS as the valve seats "don't remain as produced" because you've resurfaced them, but I think everyone would be angry if they were disqualified for a stock-reconditioning of the seats.

Just look at the part your considering to replace, then look at the rulebook.  If its not mentioned, feel free to do whatever you like.  If it "must remain as produced" don't cut it.  A really good example is the cams on an SV650.  For years now, builders have been ditching the OEM exhaust cams and running two OEM intake cams per cylinder as a cheap upgrade, I'd consider that to be SS legal, even though your running a different OEM cam in its original position- there still both OEM cams.  OEM doesn't mean it has to be the part that came on "your" bike, its just "an" original manufacturers part for that model.  Don't over-complicate the rules, your just restricting yourself.

Hopefully I didn't just give away too many builder secrets!