News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

supersport legality???

Started by d-wire, January 04, 2008, 06:35:56 PM

benprobst

Quote from: 123user on January 05, 2008, 03:27:28 PM
Hopefully I didn't just give away too many builder secrets!

I dont think anyone wants your secrets  :biggrin: . Ohhh and I saw a CCS supersport built Duc 1000 make 103 hp at the rear wheel on a conservative dynojet dyno the other day. No inflated numbers, as the previous bike that ran made identical indicated power as it did at the GNF suzuki cup dyno. I think you need to start doing something different  :ass:  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Super Dave

When was the last time someone got tore down?
I tore down a motor for a friend of mine that was protested, after he protested someone else's equipment and he admitted it was illegal.  That was in the summer of 2000.

Friend's bike was in great need of a valve job. 
Super Dave

123user

I really should have put mine on dynojet before disassembling it after Daytona.  I've done all my work on a FactoryPro, doing steady state pulls.  I've never even did a real sweep test on it to see what it pulled.

I can't imagine why anyone would want my "secrets", I've got a good one though on how to stay fat by eating everything you want and not exercising.

Eric Kelcher

When was the last time someone got tore down?  That being said, its still much more sportsman-like to keep the bike within the rules.  The rulebook should be read like a legal document-  no "spirit-of-the-rules" interpretations.  That's what make WERA's tech so ridiculous.

Supersport rules dictate DOT's, stock wheels, original (but modified ok) forks.  When the rulebook says something must be OEM, that doesn't mean it has to be unmodified and OEM.  If it says "must remain as produced", that means to can't cut it- that doesn't mean you can't add low-friction/heat shedding coatings-  Technically, I'd consider a simple valve job to be illegal in SS as the valve seats "don't remain as produced" because you've resurfaced them, but I think everyone would be angry if they were disqualified for a stock-reconditioning of the seats.

Just look at the part your considering to replace, then look at the rulebook.  If its not mentioned, feel free to do whatever you like.  If it "must remain as produced" don't cut it.  A really good example is the cams on an SV650.  For years now, builders have been ditching the OEM exhaust cams and running two OEM intake cams per cylinder as a cheap upgrade, I'd consider that to be SS legal, even though your running a different OEM cam in its original position- there still both OEM cams.  OEM doesn't mean it has to be the part that came on "your" bike, its just "an" original manufacturers part for that model.  Don't over-complicate the rules, your just restricting yourself.

Hopefully I didn't just give away too many builder secrets!

The cam swap is not SS legal that is not as produced, Suzuki does not produce a bike with two intake cams

The rest of the info is correct and the wa rulebook should be read.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

benprobst

Quote from: 123user on January 05, 2008, 06:27:40 PM
I can't imagine why anyone would want my "secrets", I've got a good one though on how to stay fat by eating everything you want and not exercising.

Haha, I need to get my dirtbike together. We need to hit up Jimmy's soon.
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

Sobottka

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on January 05, 2008, 06:51:07 PM

The rest of the info is correct and the wa rulebook should be read.
Eric- does that mean you cant do a valve job and be SS legal???
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Eric Kelcher

Quote from: sobottka on January 05, 2008, 07:24:35 PM
Eric- does that mean you cant do a valve job and be SS legal???

Valve seat is not a restricted item in SS
Eric Kelcher

2old2fat2slow

[/quote]
No secret bro, I have been doing it for years. Got it down to a science.
Thanks to:Lithium Motorsports, Vondari Racing, Continental Tires of North America, Absolute Cycle, RaceConti,Next Level Motorsports, Mize Mobile, Vortex, Woodcraft

d-wire

wow, this thread kind of went a different direction than intended......Thanks for the info guys.

Just want to play by the rules
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2

123user

yes, the board is an excellent place to get both good and bad information and waste time.  Plots thicken!

Eric,
I realize that your the final judge, but I fail to find the line in the rule book stipuilating that all OE components must remain in the original locations.  The fact that the cam is mentioned independently of the head implies that its separate from the "head assembly"  There is no "head assembly" clause though, and, in fact, the intake cam is OEM regardless of if mounting position.  I think this goes back the that "spirit of the rules" thing I mentioned earlier.  Though we don't really think of the rulebook as a legal document, that's what it is.  I'd consider the intake cam thing a "loophole".  I don't race or build SV's so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'm sure there's a number of SS SV650's out there using this loophole.

Hey Ben,

Jimmy's still jackin with his new garage, but he did move all bikes over.  I went to flat river over the holiday and dialed in the jetting on a new quad-vent carb, also I made a flywheel weight for it.  The biggest commercially available is only 14oz.  Mine weighs about 30oz.  Suprisingly, its still VERY touchy, but at least you ride an hour before looping

Eric Kelcher

123User

Here is the line
6.1.2.E.(3.) Original equipment head, valves, and cams must remain as
produced, with the exception of machining the gasket surface of
the cylinder head.

On the Suzuki it was produced with two unique cams, and placing a cam in the motor not in its original position is not as produced either. Creative interpretation of the way others' SS rules were written (requiring use of stock gaskets, must have vs as produced) before saw crushed up head and or base gaskets glued/fastened in the motor but not in their as produced location thus raising compression. The timing chain sprockets are not regulated thus allowing degreeing of cams.

If anyone has any specific questions about a mod to a bike, that is something I can and do handle via email or phone, in person, mail etc to insure a tuners secert is not spread to masses but that it is within the rules if there is ever a question.
Eric Kelcher

sasrocks

all i can say is CCS SS rules/interpretations make alot more more sense than WERA SS.
How's that for stirring the pot?   :pop:

esdit: except for the shade of yellow thing :spank: