News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Lightweight Class Racing in the Mid-West

Started by Ducati23, December 19, 2007, 03:26:24 PM

Ducati23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ducati Omaha is doing its best to encourage racers to join the rapidly growing group of riders who will be racing next season in the Great Plains and Mid-West regions lightweight classes for 2008. We want to create a class that will be fun for all involved.  :biggrin:

So far this winter we've supplied seven riders with lightweight class machines that we are actively prepping for their use. It looks like three or four more are on the fence right now. We also know of two others who have sourced machines elsewhere. If you are a track day rider or racer in either of these two race regions and would like to know more about how you can get involved feel free to contact us at (402) 408-4400. This is a great time to get involved and have some big fun for not so much money. We will take used bikes in trade for those who have those concerns, even RC51's and 600's.  :thumb:

Make plans now to join the folks who are going to have a great time racing and riding together in 2008 :thumb: This is going to be one of the most fun classes to be part of in the Great Plains Region next season.  8)
CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

GrecianFormula40

I'd like to race that Paul Smart of yours! Thats a nice bike. You guys are doing a great job up there, and congrats on the Ducati dealer award!
CCS EX GP #181

Team_Serpent

Which Ducati is everyone running in LW?

Can it make 95-100hp?

How much do they list for?

Is there contingency?

wolf44

ummmm......was that a jab at me?

Quote from: Ducati23 on December 19, 2007, 03:26:24 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will take used bikes in trade for those who have those concerns, even RC51's and 600's.  :thumb:

Quote from: benprobst on July 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM
Huh, guess I was wrong,
CCS GP EX#5
2008 Sponsors
MotoVelocity www.motovelocity.net
Mills Quarter Horses www.millsquarterhorses.com
St. Louis Staffing www.stlouis-staffing.com
Ducati Omaha www.ducatiomaha.com

Jack_Brock

So Clayton, are all the bikes you are prepping Ducatis?  I know you had a fair number of SVs at one time.

BTW, for those keeping score, add 1(me) to the LW contigent for next year if I can move my left wrist enough to control a bike.  I have an old SV I'll be running so I'll be jealous of all the new pretty Ducs for sure.  If we can get a good LW grid going in the GP region, that will be awesome!
www.caferacerinc.com
GP Expert #914

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Ducati23

So far every one is a Ducati save one G2 SV that a new rider wanted. We still have a couple more G1 SV's and a couple of SS available. The majority of the guys wanted Ducati's to prevent being pulled off the corners like happens with SV's against the Ducs. We've done some upgrade work to a few SV's that don't want to left by the stronger Duc's. They can be competitive if they make a few more ponies and a good rider.  :thumb:

Shun has his Paul Smart and is now expert, Jarel has a nice Monster and I'll be on a 1000SS. I've been working out and dieting like a mad man now >70lbs lost since last June.  :thumb: Dave Tyrrell & Jay Hanson picked up 1000SS race bikes from somewhere else. Should be a great time with so many lightweights out there. I spoke with Dan Jasa about a Duc. Hopefully this is a good strong trend. We want to generate real excitement and make racing enjoyable by populating the lightweight classes with good people. Leave the 600's to all those folks who are trying become famous or heros. It'd be nice to have a class where nearly everyone is friends and can have a relatively high level of confidence in the riders around them. I'm fairly sure Anthony, Rebecca and Chris will be back in lightweight so grids should be somewhat larger than last season.  :biggrin:
CCS/ASRA #23
Ducati 848

Team_Serpent

Ok, nice post but you didn't answer but one of my questions and I'm not sure that was fully answered either - so I'll clarify:

Which Ducatis run in LWSS, LWSBK, LWGP, GT LIGHTS, LWF40?

Can they make 95-100hp?  Because this is what it will take to win

How much do they list for?

Is there Ducati contingency?

Ducati23

Which Ducati is everyone running in LW? Any air cooled twin, mostly SS models 900's and 1000's but some Sport Classic's and Monsters, we'd like to see someone run a Hypermotard!

Can it make 95-100hp?Yes, dual plug heads <on models not equipped stock>, Hi comp pistons and cams usually get 90 to 100 hp, pretty much everyone has pipes and tuning. Remember most Ducatis already have good Brembo's with SS lines and good suspension. Add rearsets and mods as you see fit - go racing.

How much do they list for? Cost varies greatly depending on where you start, typically about $6k or 7k but we have seen it done for less than 5k with a used 900ss,of course you can always spend more a Paul Smart with the race kit can cost nearly 20k

Is there contingency?
I think Suzuki and Kawasaki are paying for their 650's, but Ducati has not announced their program yet. Most of our friends are not in it for that, they want to have fun without worring about some heros taking them out. Many of them are over 40 and will race LW Formula 40 as well as other LW classes :cheers:
CCS/ASRA #23
Ducati 848

Super Dave

Super Dave

Team_Serpent

Quote from: Ducati23 on December 19, 2007, 05:49:25 PM
Which Ducati is everyone running in LW? Any air cooled twin, mostly SS models 900's and 1000's but some Sport Classic's and Monsters, we'd like to see someone run a Hypermotard!

Ok, thanks, still a little confused as I don't know these bikes well.  Went to the Ducati web site and didn't find any of the bikes you mentioned except for the Hypermotard which I'm not interested in.

So the 7 bikes you said you were supplying to various racers must be older models and air cooled at that.

Not interested in getting back into light weight on an old bike, been there done that.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

LongDogRacing

+1 for Clayton.  Last year my SV was busted at Road America--  he helped me pull it all apart and check for some things that might have made it crap out. 

Clayton, I did end up getting a Duc!  A 748...  I'm not as comfortable on it right now, so I'll be starting the season on the SV.

See you at Road America again next year?

--Justin
Justin Pennella
CCS Ex #32

Proud supporter of MOTOHICK

APP_Racing

Looking forward to all the new competition.  I guess Rebecca, Chase and Jack will have to pit together and watch in envy at the Ducati Semi :)
A Dean
APP Racing LLC
St. Louis, MO
314-757-0364

Donate today!
www.redflagfund.org/