News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Stay AM or petititon for EX?

Started by RSimmons, December 18, 2007, 12:39:48 PM

mikendzel

My vote would be that anyone with a performance index of 700 or higher also gets bumped, regardless of points.  700 being an arbitrary number given only as an example....  

Ducati23

Turn expert and don't look back. Being an expert usually means you have to get better or get left behind. Keep working on your skillz!

Added bonus is white plates look better than yellow with most paint schemes  :thumb:

CCS/ASRA #23
GP SuperTwins Champion 2007 2008
Ducati 848

HAWK

I remember the race you are talking about. The reason I opted to stay yellow for 2007 (which I never got to run anyway) was clearly shown going into the carousel on the white flag lap. You'll remember that we came up on a slower rider and while I opted to watch him and see where I wanted to make a pass you took us both and started to run away to the checkers. I took him on the brakes into the busstop and had to ride like hell to makeup lost ground. I hesitated on an easy pass that cost me a bunch of ground while you took me AND the pass I didn't. Passing skills are where I'm lacking and if I can't pass a slow amateur how will I practice them in expert?

It's not all about speed, if you feel your skill set is there then go for the upgrade, if you're not sure about you ability to hold a line, make a clean safe pass and be predictable then stay yellow. If you feel you are safe in all these areas then go expert, speed will come.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

123user

To quote Bart Simpson:
"Let me get this straight. We're behind the rest of our class and we're going to catch up to them by going slower than they are?"

Your not going to learn the "secrets" by continuing to ride with the beginners!

Super Dave

Quote from: tstruyk on December 19, 2007, 10:24:43 AM
I cant help but thiink the top 2 tiers would flourish... which is what you want.  A constant revolving door of the lower tier.

I'll redirect you on that one.

You say a revolving door on the lower tier.

The historical reality is that racing organizations over time have felt a pinch from track day organizations.  Why?  Because twelve years ago, track time was racing.  By 1994, I started to see people come back to my school program for track time specifically.  They wanted the race track experience without the racing. 

Now, go full circle.  Individuals that are looking to race are now doing a good number of track days to prepare for racing rather than racing.  Racing organizations have really failed to make any changes that address this at all.  Which is too bad, I think. 

A new racer wouldn't have to remain a true amateur for 19 months.  That jump could be over come by some new racers in a matter of a few weekends, while others wait the "full period". 

For a racing organization, I think it's money on the table waiting to be taken, but I don't expect change unless someone wants to develop a new organization and implement it.  That would force the other organizations to look at it as a business option at that point.
Super Dave

r1owner

Quote from: Super Dave on December 19, 2007, 09:12:12 AM
I think there should be a three tier system.

First, an actual amateur class that has three basic classes based only on displacement.  Lightweight, Middleweight, and Unlimited.  No contingency, no trophies, no championships.  Limited time frame for staying it this classification.  Maybe 19 months.

At the top, an expert pro class with limited class structures.  Increased cost basis for entries with a little longer race and potential purses.  Contingency and points.  Your number one plate holder would be the one that wins Unlimited Grand Prix.

Between them would be a potential destination program for many riders.  Call it sportsman.  It would have the same excessive classes that CCS currently has now.  Championship point, overall points, contingency for products.  Obviously, coming from the actual amateur class, you would come here.  You wouldn't be required to go expert pro ever.  But an expert pro could come back down to sportsman. 

Ok, talk among yourselves...

Ding Ding Ding.... we have a winner....

r1owner

Quote from: Burt Munro on December 19, 2007, 01:59:05 AM
Dustin,

I'm guessing your goal is to take over the lead in the smite count by Jan. 1st.......

Right?? :biggrin:

At least he's earned his! 

r1owner

Quote from: red900 on December 19, 2007, 12:15:00 AM

I completely disagree...  I think you everyone should buy an Ex AMA bike and race it right out of the box.  Screw practicing or working on your skills first.  Just take your dumb ass out there and hope for the best.  I mean seriously, why prepare for what you are intending to do?  Why spend time with those loser trackday guys when you could be out in a race, with zero experience, hoping to god you live through the day ....

I am not speaking about this post imparticular, just the morons that continue to whine because an amatuer kicked their ass from the 2nd wave...

There is merit to your post.  The question is how much track time is enough?  Obviously it's different for each person. 

I think anyone that is intending to race (At least from pretty much EVERYONE that I've ridden with) has been a backroads rider at one time and has plenty of experience knowing what they and their bike are capable of.

I didn't even know club level racing existed until a fellow backroads rider told me about it.  I went and did a Bargy licensing school one weekend and knew right then and there that I wanted to do it.  I did not know that there were multitudes of trackday schools around.

So, I waited a year and had to take another school to get my CCS license.  After that I started racing.  I didn't set the world on fire which was fine by me.  But I also never worried about taking anyone out or doing anything stupid on the track either.

Sure, someone can set back and run shitloads of trackdays for three years and check their laptimes then come out knowing what their capable of.  But someone else can come from the backroads and do just as well.

Since trackdays don't typically allow passing like during a race, how is that helping you get prepared to race?  The first time someone stuffs it up the inside of you is most likely going to happen during a race anyway.  Other times, the passing rules are tame enough at trackdays that you might as well be on the street.

Another important part of racing is the start (don't ask me how I know about this :)  Do trackdays teach this?

I say if you aren't out there dominating the AM's this year (i.e. consistently placing top 3), then you should stay back.  If during the middle of the year you feel like you're kicking ass, then move up if you want.

Super Dave

I'll interject into this that I could never have afforded an ex-AMA pro bike when I was starting out.  It's all a nice idea, but some of us have very different levels of income. 
Super Dave

backMARKr

WABBIT SEASON?!?!?

NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13

Super Dave

Super Dave

backMARKr

NFC Racin',Woodcraft, Pitbull,M4, SUDCO,Bridgestone
WERA #13