News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Stay AM or petititon for EX?

Started by RSimmons, December 18, 2007, 12:39:48 PM

RSimmons

Now that the bump list is up, and there seems to be a case-by-case process in lieu of the 400 point requirement, I was wondering if I should ask for my white plates next season. I just barely missed the 400 mark, and would have made it easily had I not been taken out in the September round. Overall, I did OK in the amateur ranks this season (4th in HWSS and 5th in HWSB) racing less than half the events. I did manage to get on the box for all my races at Road America, which I was VERY happy about.  My laptimes have dropped considerably from the start of the season, with my PR at BHF being a 1:14.2 on a GSXR with stock 2-yr old suspension. That made it a bit hairy but after I freshened it up  I was pretty consistently in the 14' and 15's without feeling as though I was over my head or pushing too hard. Yes, I know its not all that fast, and that is one of the reasons I'm thinking I'd like to try racing against the EXs next season. It's often said you get faster by racing people better than yourself, and above all, improvement is my goal. That said, there are some REALLY fast guys and I don't want to be a rolling chicane or come in DFL every time out. So, should I stay a yellow plate and see how far I can go? or do I petition for the white plates and get my ass handed to me each weekend, but learn a little something in the process?
MW Am #377

Sobottka

definitely go ex, there is nothing to gain in the am ranks. sponsors dont care how many am races/championships you win (its been my experience that the relationships i built at the track were far more valuable than resume stats) and 1:14's @ bhf is pretty fast. you will be pretty competitive as an ex with times like that.  hope to see you out there! :thumb: 
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

spyderchick

No! The world needs Yellow Plated Sand Baggers! (they're on the endangered list, you know) ;)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Super Dave

First year of racing?  Well, you could go either way.  You've got to sit down and think about the cost factors, what you want to do in the future, and anything else that might come into play.  If you can't afford reasonable upgrade or you don't know how to use them, it might be reasonable to consider staying amateur for one more full year.  Or maybe a half year. 

If that was your second year of racing?  I'd go expert.

Super Dave

RSimmons

Technically, this past season would be my second. I originally got my license in '06 at the Wegman Weekend and just raced one ultralight and 2 LW races on my KTM supermoto, if that counts. So, one season + 3 races.

BTW, I'm not sure there's anything I can upgrade on my planned racebike, if I ever get it back.  :banghead:  It's a 749R. (and maybe the KTM  now that they've split Ultralight  again)
MW Am #377

Super Dave

Geometry is an on going upgrade.  And that doesn't require anything more than knowledge.  A good deal, but, often, making geometry changes are more valuable than spending money on high zoot parts.
Super Dave

RSimmons

Quote from: Super Dave on December 18, 2007, 01:51:52 PM
Geometry is an on going upgrade.  And that doesn't require anything more than knowledge.  A good deal, but, often, making geometry changes are more valuable than spending money on high zoot parts.
I've got some connections going on. I've talked to some folks that have raced that particular bike at a high level for advice on that very topic.
MW Am #377

Court Jester

i just missed it this year myself and sent a letter anyway wanting to stay yellow. kind of pointless but it was such a good letter.
I say go for the white. if i end up racing this year, i'll need all of the help i can get. one less guy on the grid that will pass me is always a plus in my book.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

smite1

You got it all wrong.... you're supposed to do like three years of trackdays, then come out and dominate.... haven't you learned anything?! ;)

I agree with sobottka... 14's isn't exactly slow at BHF

mikendzel

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

d-wire

you'll learn more in expert....If you want to get FAST, do it.  THe career expectancy is short for a road racer........go expert and don't waste time....my .02
Dunlop, Crush Leathers, DCDecals.net, GPBikes Inc, Acme PowderCoating, Sharkskinz, Leo VInce, Bazzaz
FL region #2