Stay AM or petititon for EX?

Started by RSimmons, December 18, 2007, 12:39:48 PM

spyderchick

Bottom line, if you are racing just to win or podium, at some point you will be extremely disappointed.

You know, if you love the sport, it won't matter what color your plate is, you'll be having fun. Also, don't ever say to me that 'second place is the first loser'. It shows a lack of respect for the commitment and sportsmanship that your competitors offer.

Set your goals, get a plan to accomplish that and then take the journey. You might accomplish everything and then some, or you may fail miserably and learn something. Either way, make it important to you.

Okay, I'm starting to sound like Dr Phil, so I'm off the soap box.  :preachon: :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

tstruyk

yeah Dave I've always liked the 3 tier system idea... is it realistic?  From a business standpoint is it econmically viable?

I cant help but thiink the top 2 tiers would flourish... which is what you want.  A constant revolving door of the lower tier.

I just dont see a point in AM contingency... OR, limit the amount of winnings any indiviual racer can recieve?  I just think there needs to be a more strict policy to promote full expert grids.  More factory payout, more contingency, more longevity in the upper ranks.  The series needs new racers to build the AM ranks, I think everyone agree's on that.  It needs the returning racers in the Ex field.
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Sobottka

Quote from: jigs on December 19, 2007, 10:07:48 AM
BHF last reace was in the 14's 15's,.OK,not bad,not good enough to compete in white plate
for sure.
not true... i scored a 5th or 6th in ex/mwss @ bhf doing low 14's last may.  
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

jigs

I hear ya Rob,but there were 3-4 Am. rider's doing 12's,and I know alot of expert's were 10's to 12's.I know I have no buissness trying ti ride at the pace,as we all know,that 2-3 second's can be an eternity.I just want one more year of expierience,and with new suspension and a freshened up motor,maybe I can run by the end of the year comfortably at 13's 14's,and if I run all the races aaI'll get bumped next year anyway.By the way,we never met but I think my buddy Eddie Hodges might have buoght your R-6??

grasshopper

I say go expert. Technically you don't have to but you will learn a lot and become faster. You have to be humble with yourself though. Don't be pissed off that you will not be on the podium every weekend. Why did you start racing and doing track days? Because it's fun rite? Because you enjoy being at the track. If you can keep it in your head that you're out there to have fun, you'll be fine. But if you get pissed off because you aren't that fastest guy out there it isn't worth it. The class you will be racing in is very competitive. Don't sell yourself short though. You're a smart, good, fast rider. Just try to keep your head and make the rite decisions out on the track. It's not a job, your life doesn't depend on it. Go out, race expert your first year and have fun and stay out of the ambulance.

Last year being a first year expert was my toughest year racing by far. Between issues getting my bike together, and me not making good decisions on the track made it tough for me. I've done a lot of thinking, and I plan to stay being a racer because I love it so much. I just don't plan on stressing myself out about it anymore. I go to the track to get away from the normal grind and stress, not to add to it.

Ridgeway

If everyone delayed bumping up before they were kicking ass in AM, there would be about 3 new experts each year, and some would never get their white plates.  I'm taking my bump, and going from LW from MW at the same time.  I know full well I'll be near the back of the pack for much of 08 and have no doubt that I'll be caught and passed by some fast AM's in combined races.  It's the challenge and potential for improvement that keeps me interested.

Seems to me that if you've even considered requesting a bump, you should go ahead and do it.  Far more people seem to debate going in the other direction and petitioning to stay AM for that extra sandbag year.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

truckstop

Quote from: RSimmons on December 18, 2007, 01:45:41 PMBTW, I'm not sure there's anything I can upgrade on my planned racebike, if I ever get it back.  :banghead:  It's a 749R. (and maybe the KTM  now that they've split Ultralight  again)

FYI Rob, the split, along with the rule change to allow SVs has been postponed until '09. At least if my memory is correct from what it said on the license packet that I don't have in front of me. So for '08 it will still be combined. If it makes any difference, even though AM/EX Ultralight was scored together all year, for some reason they're split for the end of year awards.  Never thought I'd win a championship trophy for coming in last/second last most of the time.   :ahhh:

jigs

Interesting that someone would earn the bump and pettition to stay back in yellow.I'll gladly take it next year and go back to school!!

spyderchick

Quote from: jigs on December 19, 2007, 11:15:38 AM
Interesting that someone would earn the bump and pettition to stay back in yellow.I'll gladly take it next year and go back to school!!

The original post was about bumping to EX because he was 'this close' to having enough points.

People who petition to stay AM have their reasons, might be the classes they were running, or maybe they really want to try to get a championship. Since it's in the rules that you can do it, it's all good until the rule is changed.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

RSimmons

Quote from: spyderchick on December 19, 2007, 11:29:46 AM
The original post was about bumping to EX because he was 'this close' to having enough points.

People who petition to stay AM have their reasons, might be the classes they were running, or maybe they really want to try to get a championship. Since it's in the rules that you can do it, it's all good until the rule is changed.

Exactly. (Its also in the title of the thread that I'd have to petition for EX, clearly implying that I did not get the bump)

BTW, thanks go out to everyone that has or will contribute constructive thoughts and advice to the thread. I really appreciate the insight and different viewpoints. Sometimes seeing things through another viewpoint lends much needed perspective.

and Boo for the combined Ultralight class.
MW Am #377

jigs

Sobottka

Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe